ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bocanegra vs 197

Ibiza Cupra Bocanegra
Ibiza Bocanegra vs Clio 97

My friend has just bought a 197 so we went for a little blast over the weekend. I'm a big fan of the fast clio's. So was really looking forward to having a poke round his car. His has the cup pack on it. Must say i'm a real fan! They sound great and I love the high reving engine. I had a go and it handles very very well (would love to try a 200 cup now) I love how stable the car is with very little body roll. A real fun drivers car.

We found some nice quiet country roads and had a great day, windows down listing to the two engine.

I can't believe how different the power delivery is on both engines. I think day to day I prefer mine as its an easier drive but the clio was certainly fun.

I'm looking forward to next weekend, if its dry there's a megan r26 coming out with us as well.

Last edited:

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Should grab some pics. I quite like the Bocanegra, my sister has a FR with dsg, nice cruiser imo

Ibiza Cupra Bocanegra
Yeah didn't have my camera. Going to take my HD camcorder next weekend. May go further a field to north wales. Yeah loving my Boc, had it just over a year. Stage 1 225BHP Remap, Full eibach coilovers and a rear anti roll bar. Perfect set up for everyday use and fun weekend blasts.

I really want to try a clio 200 now but would feel bad wasting the salesman's time when I would have no intention of buying.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Give a f**k about the salesman?! They dont give a flying f**k when trying to screw over customers ;)

Ibiza Cupra Bocanegra
Yeah its nice I like that its quite exclusive. :) Any one around Wirral area next weekend your welcome to come along for the drive. Nothing set in stone yet though. Few pics of mine here.

MCS R56
Two nice cars! Was going to ask how they compare pace-wise but as yours is modded, there is no need!

Ibiza Cupra Bocanegra
Yeah pace wise is wasn't really fair, mine does 5.1 0-60 and a 13.9 quarter so you can probably guess which one had the edge. The clio handled slightly better but felt heavier but in real world performance on the road there was not much in it cornering wise.

200 with booost
I test drove the Bocangra back to back with the Clio 200 when looking for my new motor, overall the Clio won hands down for looks, handling, noise and driver enjoyment.

I wouldnt put the Seat down tho, it was a beautiful car and like the op says its very rare, only ever seen two on the road plus the interior is much better quality than the Clio. Suprisingly I didnt like the Flappy Paddle gear box, thought id love it before i drove it, found it too smooth and too liner. Id say in a drag race the two standard cars dont really differ much but the Clio def gets the edge in the corners but if you want a family hatch to take the kids to school and dribble trough town, the Seat is much more comfortable.

I agree with some of the points you mentioned. Like you, I test the 200 and then the Bocanegra, but came to a different conclusion for different reasons. For me, having previously owned a 182 and an R27, the Clio 200 hadn't moved the game significantly enough for me to change to the 200 and I much preferred the look of the 197 compared to the 200...that is not to criticise the 200 because it the best in its class at what it does...track ready with great engine, performance and handling.

However, I test drove the Bocanegra and really liked it. The power delivery was different, and as you pointed out, very smooth...however, it does still rev very high like the Clio. In terms of straight line performance, both are very evenly matched and will come down to the usual variables. The Clio definately gets the edge in corners and braking, hence IMO making it the better handling car out of the two...however, that is not to say that the Bocanegra is poor handling, because it is not...it grips well, and with the optional 4-pot brakes, am perfectly sure it stops well.

One of the main reasons for me changing was based on economics as well...the lower running costs for very similar performance were a big deciding factor for me...£128 per year in tax and high 30s to mid 40s mpg...I do big miles to and fro work and the Clio was starting to cost more and more in travel. I also really liked the looks of the Bocanegra compared to the 200 and just wanted to try something new instead of more of the same with the Clio...but I know it is each to their own...some people will like the look of each and others will not - would be pretty boring if we all liked the same thing.

The flappy paddle gears box takes a little getting used to coming from manual, but it works well...you still have some level of control in shifting gears when in manual mode.

I would say if you are after a track car or weekend blast round the country roads, the Clio is the obvious choice. If you want something with similar performace and everyday use, then the Cupra / Bocanegra might be of interest. I would recommend a long test drive in one over different roads and conditions to see what you think.

Ibiza Cupra Bocanegra
It really took me a while to get used to the DSG. I've developed my own driving style with it and know the power band well and find the paddles great fun on country roads, you can tell by the type of corner if you need to drop down 1-2 gears tap the paddle and your ready to go, just like Froza :D. It makes better progress when it's not rev'd to the limiter like the Clio.

When my car's engine was standard I had a blast with a clio 200. I can confirm there is very very little in it pace wise, I had a slight edge in straight line speed but it was tiny.

I've got the optional 4-pots on mine and can confirm the brakes felt almost identical. Didn't drive long or hard enough in the 197 to really test them however.

Ibiza Cupra Bocanegra
5.1 to 60...???

What did you time that with?

Dunno it was on the quartermile at Gti-Inters.

The results are in a PDF somewhere. 2nd fastest Seat of the day and also probably in the top 4/5 FWD cars of the day. I'll find the results PDF.

Ibiza Cupra Bocanegra
Found them!

I was there on the 27th.

James and Mark is me The reg differs slightly but you can tell which one it is in the Seat section. I sent my mate to get more slips and he registered as himself :D

Also check the Porsche times compared to mine :) Some upset posers in boxters haha

http://www.theresults.co.uk/gti_international_results.html

Cople of vids as well:

Last edited by a moderator:
  Ibiza Cupra Bocanegra
Agh it wont let me edit:

I think I could get better times now as it was a hot day, 36C at some points and the map was only put on that morning so the only time the ECU had to adjust was on the actual strip. Getting a Forge Induction Kit and Blueflame exhaust eventually. 13.7's and sub 5 second 0-60 would be rather nice :D

Listerine & Poledo
What's the difference between the Bocanegra and FR?

FR is the "warm" brand, imagine it as the GT (renault speak) or SRi (Vauxhall speak)

The Boca is a supposedly limited run Cupra, but they don't appear to be limiting the production much, since I can still order one on the SEAT site... subject to finding a haul of caps

Ibiza Cupra Bocanegra
What's the difference between the Bocanegra and FR?

Fresh from the dealers the engines are 150 or 180 as per the book (VW engines usually make over this). The engines are the same with same FMIC, induction and exhaust. The only difference is the Boc, Cupra has an exhaust amp, different bumper and interior trim. Also the optional 4pots wont fit under the FR wheels.

If you like the look of the FR you could save a little cash and mod it up to be just as powerful and more of a sleeper. I personally like the looks mine gets :D

Mini Cooper S
I meant power wise, is it just a map that boosts the 150 upto 180? What's an exhaust amp?

Ibiza Cupra Bocanegra
Yeah its just a different ECU map. The amp just makes the exhaust more vocal in the cabin when booting it. It does sound nice.

watch the insurence on the fr when i was looking at quotes the cupra/boc were cheaper :S

dont see many fr/cup/boc tbh

Last edited:
  Mini Cooper S
From looking at a few pictures, the interior doesn't look too great. I'm suprised leather isn't an option either!

So in theory the FR could be mapped to 225BHP from 150? That's pretty damn impressive!

From looking at a few pictures, the interior doesn't look too great. I'm suprised leather isn't an option either!

So in theory the FR could be mapped to 225BHP from 150? That's pretty damn impressive!

Yip - that's about it in a nutshell. Leather is an option on the Cupra but not the Bocanegra. To be fair, the interior is better than a Cup...but I think the standard 197 / 200 (FF) has a better looking interior, especially if the Recaros have been added .

Ibiza Cupra Bocanegra
Leather is an option on the cupra. The boc has custom seats with red stitching. The interior is smart, well built and set out. Doesn't rattle ether :D.

CIMG3299.jpg

CIMG3288.jpg

CIMG3298.jpg

Not sure whats going on with the insurance on these, lots of people getting results all over the place. I'm playing £520 @ 25.

Mini Cooper S
Hmmmm maybe I'll look into these as an option next year. 1 year old FR is only £12k second hand. Makes a change from the usual hot hatch. I'd love a Polo GTI but the prices are rediculous!

Ibiza Cupra Bocanegra
Yeah Polo Gti is just insane for what you get!!

Mine was up for sale @ £14k last week but not anymore.

im not keen on the interior myself had a poke round a boc my dynamique felt better :(

hoping the polo gti will solve that when i have a poke :D

also the seats seem to lack a temperature gage :S

the fabia vrs is worth a look new they 15k ;)

Last edited:
  Not a 320d
I like my mates Eat your pizza cupra, the 180bhp one, but its just oh so Seat, interior was so tacky and plasticky, well put together though.

Felt very smooth and pulled well up till about 80mph and then it seemed to start losing grunt. Obviously faster than my GT, but thats what it felt like. Wasnt a massive fan and id never buy one. DSG box was quick and smooth.

Ibiza Cupra Bocanegra
Yeah the polo has a better interior, but you do pay for the premium finish. Its not the most exciting interior in the world but everything you need is at your fingers so does me just fine.

Ibiza Cupra Bocanegra
I like my mates Eat your pizza cupra, the 180bhp one, but its just oh so Seat, interior was so tacky and plasticky, well put together though.

Felt very smooth and pulled well up till about 80mph and then it seemed to start losing grunt. Obviously faster than my GT, but thats what it felt like. Wasnt a massive fan and id never buy one. DSG box was quick and smooth.

With a remap the boost is held much better higher up the rev range so it'll pull very well to about 120 before trailing off.

Ibiza Cupra Bocanegra
Yeeeah thats nice! Think i'll have to look into getting the DSG knob swapped over. Wonder what the A1's interior is like.

Italian 3.2 V6
Seems an impressive engine VW have made.. I wonder if they all produce more bhp than meant to standard. 13's is an brilliant time mate! Nice one.

If I had the option I'd prob just go for the cupra version.. But is clearly desperate to be lowered!

Seems an impressive engine VW have made.. I wonder if they all produce more bhp than meant to standard. 13's is an brilliant time mate! Nice one.

If I had the option I'd prob just go for the cupra version.. But is clearly desperate to be lowered!

...and a simple map at about £400 will get you 215-225bhp! not having to spend massive amounts of money to get a good bhp increase. dsg box can also be mapped now.