ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bodywork recommendations - North West?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Assuming moving house doesn't financially cripple me (!) - I think I'll have to address the rear arches this year - along with the usual petrol filler cap area.

Pretty much convinced myself that the filler cap side will most likely require the panel to be cut out and replaced and for the work involved, could it be easier/more straight-forward to do the same on the passenger side than attempt to repair it?

At this stage, I'm after some recommendations for decent bodyshops within sensible distance of Bolton. I've contacted (and even visited) some reputable ones online that simply haven't even got back to me - let alone a comment of 'we can't be arsed with that, etc'.

I'd rather hear from other CS members with some good feedback about places, than take pot-luck with some random company.

Cheers,
D.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
I'm taking my civic to get some rust work/welding done (again) this week or next. It's a bit far from Bolton maybe but I'm going to take it to Vtec direct near Northwich. Seen some of their jobs on old Hondas and convinced they'll do a proper job and not an 'MOT pass bodge' (which is what I see a lot of - and is why I've had my sills done twice myself!).

Finding good bodyshops and welders really is not easy - with stuff like this the quality is determined by the longevity and always hard to review straight away.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I'm taking my civic to get some rust work/welding done (again) this week or next. It's a bit far from Bolton maybe but I'm going to take it to Vtec direct near Northwich. Seen some of their jobs on old Hondas and convinced they'll do a proper job and not an 'MOT pass bodge' (which is what I see a lot of - and is why I've had my sills done twice myself!).

Finding good bodyshops and welders really is not easy - with stuff like this the quality is determined by the longevity and always hard to review straight away.
Cheers - seems like a very similar train of thought to me.

Northwich is fine - I'd be happy to travel that distance if the work is up-to-scratch. No doubt if these guys you mention deal with rust on Hondas regularly - then a Renault really could be a welcome alternative!? :p

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Cheers - seems like a very similar train of thought to me.

Northwich is fine - I'd be happy to travel that distance if the work is up-to-scratch. No doubt if these guys you mention deal with rust on Hondas regularly - then a Renault really could be a welcome alternative!? :p

ha yeah defo! A clio would be a doddle in comparison.

I'm going down on Thurs for them to look but reckon it'll get booked in for end of the month to get done. Had a call with them today and straight away they already say the things I want to hear (cut back, treat, prime, etc - not just lash some kurust on and waxoyl over the top!!)

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
ha yeah defo! A clio would be a doddle in comparison.

I'm going down on Thurs for them to look but reckon it'll get booked in for end of the month to get done. Had a call with them today and straight away they already say the things I want to hear (cut back, treat, prime, etc - not just lash some kurust on and waxoyl over the top!!)
Sounds really positive. If you could let me know how that goes on...... and how they might feel towards handling a 182 job. ;)

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Have you tried Listons in Bradshaw @Darren S , I hear very good things from them and theboften have some very nice metal in too.
Funny you mention them Matt, they were a company I went to in person, with them being close to me.

Booked an initial visit and when I turned up, I had a walkaround with one of their staff about what I wanted done.

Took my details and a few days later, I contacted back asking if there was any news on the quote being sent over? Said they were busy and would get back to me. Left it a few weeks and then emailed back - heard nothing back from that either.

Don't know if I can be arsed chasing them again?

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
Funny you mention them Matt, they were a company I went to in person, with them being close to me.

Booked an initial visit and when I turned up, I had a walkaround with one of their staff about what I wanted done.

Took my details and a few days later, I contacted back asking if there was any news on the quote being sent over? Said they were busy and would get back to me. Left it a few weeks and then emailed back - heard nothing back from that either.

Don't know if I can be arsed chasing them again?

I've not actually used them previously, I've had them recommended to me several times and I know that they are usually very very busy (I guess that speaks for itself!) However I cant stand poor customer service so doubt I'd try chasing up again!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I've not actually used them previously, I've had them recommended to me several times and I know that they are usually very very busy (I guess that speaks for itself!) However I cant stand poor customer service so doubt I'd try chasing up again!
It's tricky - I might arrange a visit again? I don't want to be missing out on a potential good job based on my own frustration with them.

We'll see - if we move house, it maybe that there's somewhere else closer to home?

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Sounds really positive. If you could let me know how that goes on...... and how they might feel towards handling a 182 job. ;)

Yeah they don't just do Hondas, they've had many Renaultsports in through the door I've seen. probably not so much for rust tho like the rotbox Swindon turds.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Californias Paint and Body in lower darwen , one man band who has a waiting list but his work is top notch

That's what you want! Long wait means good jobs (unless it's a skiving lazy 'C U Next Tuesday')

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Californias Paint and Body in lower darwen , one man band who has a waiting list but his work is top notch
With working on Shadsworth (even though I haven't been in the office itself for a year!) - that might be a good shout - thanks.