ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bonnet Latch - "re-call" update and help needed

So, after seeing this mentioned and owning a clio before I finally bothered to phone Renault to see if this has "re-call" work had been done on my car.
First point - It is and NEVER was a re-call. They were doing at reduced or lowered costs as they acknowledged the problem but it came down to them saying it was a maintenance issue not a design issue.
Second - Now the cars are normally over 10 years, mine included, they will not do for free or reduced price. £96 from Renault dealers is the fitted price.
Third - They have no record of mine being replaced.

Questions - Do they just fit a new mechanism??
Is it the one released from inside or the one released from underneath the outside of the bonnet?
Can I just buy one and fit it?
Mine works properly and secures cleanly, should I worry about this??

Thanks

Dom_capper

ClioSport Club Member
  2012 Renault Clio
If it ain't broke don't fix it. I'd just leave it and save your cash, £96 is a fair bit of cash.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Didn't they just lubricate the secondary latch? That's what Renault told me when I asked about it so I just squirted some wd40 on it and made sure it was free to move.

It's only a problem if you don't close the bonnet properly, the secondary latch corrodes and can jam, make sure it's free to move and always give your bonnet a good tug to make sure it's latched properly and you should be fine.

That's what I remember from years back when the missus had her 1.2 anyway.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Just keep it clean, I bet it's the people who drive around with the bonnet popped open that it opens on.

That's what I figure for much less than £96. I removed it, gave it a quick wipe down and sued some copper grease on both the spring and the bit you pull on externally. As long as this latch is firmly engaged I cant see it just flying open.
Cheers both!