ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Boost !

DMS

A thirsty 172
Went to K-Tec today to get my car back.
Only took one pic so far but thought I'd share it with you, and add further pics to the thread tomorrow when I've done a few bits and bobs with it.

Here's the only one I've got at the minute:

imagezc.jpg

At the moment it's running a safe map to bed the engine in properly, so it won't rev past 5,000rpm. I've got to go back to K-Tec in a couple of weeks to get it mapped properly and have the rev limit increased. It's hysterically fast already and only just seems to be coming fully on boost at around 4,500rpm so I know there's a lot more to come. Shaun said that at the moment it's kicking out around 230bhp but will make a lot more once the mapping has been done. I had absolutely no trouble keeping up with a BMW 130i M Sport up to 90 odd on the way back (down a private runway) so it'll be epic once fully mapped.

More pics to come tomorrow or Sunday when I've:

- Fitted silver seat belts.
- Fitted new positive battery terminal.
- Given it another clean.
- Given it a polish.
- Raised the height of the exhaust tailpipe slightly.
- Polished up all the badges and the tailpipe.

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
Awesome :D Sutton in Ashfield too, not far from me. Might have to take me for a spin :cool:

DMS

A thirsty 172
I suspect everyone will want a spin soon lol. Won't be doing any passenger rides until it's mapped properly and I've got used to the clutch (it's harsh!)
My favourite thing about it so far is the wastegate chatter. I wanted a dump valve before (ghey I know) but in all honesty I prefer the noise it already makes.

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
ooh i didnt know you were getting this done! awesome

Audi TT 3.2
looks good! i was down at k tec a week or so ago, i take it this was the one on the ramp as you look through the veiwing window having the turbo conversion?

DMS

A thirsty 172
looks good! i was down at k tec a week or so ago, i take it this was the one on the ramp as you look through the veiwing window having the turbo conversion?

Quite possibly. They've had it for the last 3 weeks so it would have been there when you went.

I love it already and it's not even running at full boost yet. Well pleased with it so far.

ITB BG 182
I suspect everyone will want a spin soon lol. Won't be doing any passenger rides until it's mapped properly and I've got used to the clutch (it's harsh!)
My favourite thing about it so far is the wastegate chatter. I wanted a dump valve before (ghey I know) but in all honesty I prefer the noise it already makes.

Oh yes you will...!

DMS

A thirsty 172
Oh yes you will...!

Alright... just for you...

If you want to have a look pop down tomorrow. I've got to change the oil (as per Shaun's instructions), fit my new silver seat belts and adjust how the exhaust sits a little bit. Plus you need to collect your shocks out of my boot.

Oh... toying with the idea of removing my back seats and the tar on the boot floor as well.

Last edited:
  340i
I will no doubt see this boooooosting around soon with being 5 minutes up the A38 ;)

I shall defiantly have to come and check this out!!

ITB BG 182
Alright... just for you...

If you want to have a look pop down tomorrow. I've got to change the oil (as per Shaun's instructions), fit my new silver seat belts and adjust how the exhaust sits a little bit. Plus you need to collect your shocks out of my boot.

Oh... toying with the idea of removing my back seats and the tar on the boot floor as well.
No can do tomorrow fatboi, i am off to Cardiff for the day. i shall nip in on sunday unless you want to come down as ill be removing the front bumper.

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
That looks mint mate

Thought you'd be able to keep up with a 130i even if your car was standard ?

DMS

A thirsty 172
That looks mint mate

Thought you'd be able to keep up with a 130i even if your car was standard ?

Nope. Definitely not.
They're pretty much exactly the same in a straight line as a new shape Golf R32, and I know for a fact a 172 isn't as fast as one of those. Stripped out it might be a bit closer but still no standard 172 is going to trouble one much.

DMS

A thirsty 172
No it's the high pressure turbo (stage 2).
It's currently limited to 0.5 bar boost and 5,000rpm. It's got to go back to K-Tec in a couple of weeks when it's been run in a bit for its final oil change, boost increase and mapping. And to get rid of the SERV, ESP and "wiggy line in a square" light on the dash.

EDIT: "Wiggly line in a square" is due to me not being able to remember what it's for?!

DMS

A thirsty 172
schweeet, vids needed!

I'll get some taken when it's had the rest of the work done.

Need a passenger to hold the camera TBH... It's evident from the torque steer at the minute that I'm gonna need both hands on the wheel...

DMS

A thirsty 172
A crappy camera phone pic taken this morning to try and show how much of the intercooler you can see. It's going to make quite a nice little sleeper when it's all finished.

I really must get a better camera though, SRS.

imageuv.jpg

DMS

A thirsty 172
Can you have not centralised the intercooler?

It's not really far off dead centre anyway. I didn't fit it, K-Tec did, but I think it's positioned there for "packaging" reasons (i.e; to make it fit behind the front grille). If it was any more central I think the grille would have to come off and the bottom of the bumper cut out slightly to accommodate it.

I could be wrong though.

MCS R56
It would be interesting to see the performance comparisons between the turbo conversion and the supercharged conversion. Also throw in a standard Sport to put it in perspective.

DMS

A thirsty 172
You have to weigh up the pros and cons of each TBH.
I went for the turbo conversion over any of the other options because I wanted to keep the air con and I love the wave of torque from turbo'd cars.

I'll post more pics and videos soon. I need to get my hands on a better camera really, or attend a photo shoot / meet where other people can take pics for me :)

C180 kommpressor!
Cracking, another turbo convertion :)
You are missing some bolts off the inlet, might be a problem with the boost.

C180 kommpressor!
ah gotya, ive not had the pleasure of getting a good look under the bonnet of one of these yet

ITB BG 182
I'll post more pics and videos soon. I need to get my hands on a better camera really, or attend a photo shoot / meet where other people can take pics for me :)
Oi tw*t head, ive got half a ton of camera equipment, can also record HD films.

Did that sump key thingy work?

DMS

A thirsty 172
Oi tw*t head, ive got half a ton of camera equipment, can also record HD films.

Did that sump key thingy work?

Get down here and take some then. Teat!
Sump key worked a treat. Didn't have a bar to go through it though so used the adjustable spanner on it instead. Did the job fine.