ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bore honing

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Just after a quick bit of advice from any engine builders out there.

I'm just in the process of a full refresh of the engine in my R53 Mini cooper s. It's done about 110k and was leaking oil like a sieve so took the decision to take it off the road for a few months to give the whole car a refresh.

The engine is out and fully stripped, the plan is all new gaskets, bottom end bearings, new rings etc - basically a full refresh.

My current question is about the cylinder bores - there appears to be very little wear, I can still see the original honing marks.

Would I get away with just having it re honed and then using the original pistons with new std size rings - or would I be better getting it bored and going oversized with the pistons and rings etc?

I can get photos of the block if needed, it's in a box in the shed currently.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
If your honing it (which I would) then I’d be going up a size and doing it properly. Too much of a risk to put standard size rings in and risk it using oil. I’m sure you’d be able to get bigger ring sizes for standard pistons?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
If there's no damage to the cylinders, a light hone should be enough.

As long as all the clearances measure up within spec then stick with standard piston and ring size.

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
I’ve been looking at the parts Lohan do for the mini if you have a nice budget.