ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bored with the Clio?

I had a bit of an epiphany over the weekend that I thought I would share.

As everyone knows; cars & the excitement that they bring can fade over time, leaving us searching for bigger, badder purchases to get our kicks driving.

The last month has been a bit like this for moi; Clio feeling a bit sluggish what with the hot weather, rear beam creaking badly, cracked windscreen, 3 months of insect life on the front bumper, knackered brakes - just generally needed some time, loving & £££ spent.

This weekend just gone by I drove a van everywhere, probably did a good 400 miles in it. Big barge of a thing with a gearbox that felt like you were stirring soup it's so vague, turbo lag measurable in geological time scales, brakes made from jaffa cakes and a horizontal steering wheel with about 1/4 of a turn play; making motorway driving a challenge just to stay between the white lines.

Took it back today and got back into the clio - it was instantly like meeting an old friend, the feeling when you first put your foot down after having just bought it. I haven't had that sensation in longer than I care to remember.

The whole car felt so dialed, so precise and eager to abuse some twisting roads :evil: So much so I left for work at 8.30 this morning, and my usual 30min journey became 2 hours as I invariably took a long route; including every stretch of epic road I could think of with a massive grin on my face as I darted through & around the miserable crowds of commuter buses.

So if you do high milage and find it easy to get 'used' to a car, take my advice & rent a shed for the week and leave your pride and joy at home, you'll be amazed at what you've been missing when you get back into it ;)

Last edited:
  BG182®
Great read Tom.

I know the feeling you mean, I commute just under 80 miles a day and it can make the car seem boring going round that sodding M25. When I get a week off or travel abroad in the odd month for work, I come back, jump strait in the Clio and Im as happy as the first day.