ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bought a Clio with a few issues

First of all, hello. I am new to this forum so please be gentle!

I bought a 2003 1.2 16v today and I have noticed a few things that require attention:

1. Washers don't work, I can't hear a relay or the actual motor running. Is it likely to be a fuse or the actual motor?
2. Horn doesn't work, again, I can't hear a relay.
3. Oil leak, it looks to be coming from the coil pack and is splashed all on the bonnet and engine.
4. 12v cigarette lighter socket doesn't provide power.
5. Gear stick wobbles about quite a lot on lift off. Is it likely the lower dogbone engine steady is causing this? This seems fairly cheap and easy to replace.

I have spent a while searching and haven't really come across anything conclusive. Any help at all on any of these things would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

CursedTitanium 182FF
1. Will most likely be the washer pump.
2. Check the fuse, then the wiring/stalk.
3. Check if the breather has come off the pipe under the coil pack.
4. Might be related to the horn not working, again check fuse and wiring.
5. Yup, replace dog mount or powerflex your one.

1. Will most likely be the washer pump.
2. Check the fuse, then the wiring/stalk.
3. Check if the breather has come off the pipe under the coil pack.
4. Might be related to the horn not working, again check fuse and wiring.
5. Yup, replace dog mount or powerflex your one.
Thanks for your swift reply. I will check on those things tomorrow and report back.

Hello Harry
Where are you based
Hi, I am in Hampshire.

There is also another issue which I have just remembered. The coolant temperature gauge is all over the place and it varies between 0 and ¾ and won't stay in the same place. Is this likely to be an electrical/temp sender problem?

Thermostat likely cause
I did think that. Bought a new one today and will fit it tomorrow.

I've spent all day trying to fix the rear brakes. I stripped them down as they were making a noise whenever the handbrake was disengaged, and when removing the NS drum, the bearing fell apart so a new one was required. The new bearing measures 52mm and the one fitted to the drum measures around 67mm so will not fit at all. Does anyone have any ideas about this? As far as all the parts stores are concerned it is the correct bearing.

The cause of the noise seems to be one of the brake shoes not being properly attached to the backplate and was dragging across the drum on the outside. This would explain why the noise doesn't occur when braking or with the handbrake engaged.

Hi all,

Got a few issues sorted..

1. Washer pump changed, took 30 seconds and £7 and I now have washers
2. Horn fuse was actually missing, fitted a new 15A and that now works, why it was removed I'm not sure
3. Changed the thermostat, seems to have helped a bit but the gauge seems to always read 2 bars low? When it is switched off the needle goes right to the bottom, unlike the fuel gauge, which rests on the bottom line.. Not sure what is happening here but it doesn't seem to be much of an issue.
This is what the needle reads at full operating temp, OBD says it ranges from 75-95 deg C while driving, which seems about right. Also the fan kicks in about the right time.
1F4777E9-0ED5-432C-B03F-D9FE5166E5A7_zpswm9lrtxl.jpg

I'm still sorting the rear brakes, I ended up getting a new drum as I couldn't find any bearing that would fit the existing one, so I will change the other side drum and shoes so they are matching. This leads me to my problems with the ABS system...

The two rear drums appear to have different ABS reluctor rings fitted, below is an image of one of them. It doesn't look like it has had or is supposed to have teeth, whereas the other side has chips and raised areas that look like it would have had teeth but they have broken off. The new drums don't have ABS rings fitted, so am I right in thinking I can fit these? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190914917581?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT Does it matter that they are different to the rings removed?

450F2072-9701-4255-913F-3C0977209253_zpssmr4pywm.jpg

Thanks for all help