ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bought a ph2 172 but

clio 172, pug 106 gti
Just brougt a ph2 172 a few weeks ago but sometimes think should I have brought a 182?? Are they any major differences besides the rear exhaust and wheels??

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Re: Brought a ph2 172 but

Where did you bring them to? Surely they would know which you meant to bring?

Honestly, IMO my 172 drove better than my 182 naff all difference.

Iceberg 172

The 182's have a better Manifold which releases a few more horse... and they have Traction Control and Cruise Control.

Overall I think they're marginally slower (apparently) but personally I don't like the 182 exhaust! (probably the only person on CS that thinks that... but Stealth exhasts FTW!)

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD

most 172s have traction & cruise.

I'm not a fan of the 182 exhausts either.

53 Clio's & counting

I have had a ph1 172 for over 3 years and over 40k, and have driven my partners old LY 182 roughly 8k and there are tiny differences but in all reality there is naff all difference.

Put it this way im perfectly happy keeping mine (in fact i prefere the ph1)

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
I've had a 172 ph2 and a 182 Trophy. The biggest difference in performance terms is the low down pull of the 182. 172 Takes a long time to get going and needs to be >5k to get a move on, whereas the 182 pulls slightly better from 3k area. You could reduce that difference by fitting the 182 manifold and sports cat. Conversley these changes have affected fuel consumption as the 172 did 38mpg easy and the 182 is 36 or so.

Probably going to be some differences in handaling terms between the 172 and 182 with Cup packs but some Cup (wider wheels) made mine feel alot more planted that standard. I can't comment on the 172 vs 182 Cup as I haven't driven a 182 Cup/with Cup packs but unless pushing it will be neglible.

Another point worth mentioning, imo is the wider tyres and brand/fitment of tyre. The PE2's make a big difference as they're simply brilliant and I'm sure those on a 172 would help.

Now that you have made the decision it's certainly not worth going back on and regretting it but those are factors which I now consider to be important.

Btw, cruise control only came on 53 plate 172's on so it was not common.

tiTTy & SV650
There's lots of little differences but on the road (real life) there's nothing between them. I had an 04 182 from new for 3 years and for the last year have had a ph2 172 (52 plate no cruise control but has traction control)

Another vote for 205 tyres on the 172 here, Hankook ventus if you don't want to pay for PE2s

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member

The 182's have a better Manifold which releases a few more horse... and they have Traction Control and Cruise Control.

Overall I think they're marginally slower (apparently) but personally I don't like the 182 exhaust! (probably the only person on CS that thinks that... but Stealth exhasts FTW!)

You're not the only that prefers the 172 exhaust (stealth system)

Scott S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Flamer & ER-6F
I had the choice of either and went for a 172 (04 plate), that was mainly because I am not too keen on the 182 exhausts (that'll be four of us now). I am actually not too keen on my exhaust either, but it's easy to change that for a different one that's hidden.

The 172 does seem to take a while to get going, not a lot of pull while in the low rpm bands.

There seems to be a fair variance in the RR results for these cars, so to be honest, even if you went for a 182, you are not guaranteed to have one that will be noticeably quicker than a 172.

I do like the 182 seats more than the 172 seats though.

Stick the 182 manifold and a decat on the 172 and you have virtually the same car but with better looking wheels.

53 Clio's & counting
I prefere the feel of mine on 195's than my parters 182 on 205's, the 182 feels a bit more stable at higher speeds, but i felt like i could throw mine around more, and to me after comparing the two over many months and many thousands of miles i prefere the way my Ph1 drives, it just feels more connected.

I will say though the cup spec suspension is great, just doesnt quite give as much feedback as mine.

Thats not a biased opinion either, as the 182 is a fantastic car, i just prefere the 'feel' of the ph1

Evo 8 MR
The 182 has more luxurys and is more refined, they are also dearer aswell so it depends if you want to pay the extra for those things if thats what you prefer.

I had the same dilemma a few weeks ago, I just looked at what I wanted in terms of the looks and power etc and decided the cup was the best option for me. (basically I wanted Turinis and cup spoiler so I thought why not just buy a cup?)

Ive got a 182 with cup packs and to be honest apart from the manifold, exhaust( which i probably prefer the 172 one) And a few luxury's there is nothing to it!
Change the manifold as mentioned!

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
What are these extra luxuries on the 182 then on the 172? The only items which differ is cruise and speed limiter on 53 on and on the older models (upto 03) they don't have ESP.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Hate the 182 exhaust - look so rubbish to my eyes, I was always going to get a 172 over a 182, I did try two 182's but they offered nothing at all more that I wanted in my eyes, keep your ESP and cruise, the mk2's don't need it and for the amount of motorway miles I do the cruise was useless, I also am very able to maintain my own speed thanks :)

Prefer mine on 195's to 205's too, now I've got my old tyres back on its sooo much nicer to drive again.

You could say the 172 has an advantage over the 182 on the spare wheel issue, you don't lose any boot space on a 172 having the spare.

Silver belts FTL too! look pants when they get dirty :)

I should probably have gone for a 172, cos i dont use my cruise control or speed limiter! The twin exhaust gives me hassle cos never seems to sit right and the silver seat belts defo get dirty, lol

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
My seatbelts are clean, plus, if they're dirty - wash them! ;)

I don't use the speed limiter/cruise either.

Trust me if tried to clean them but think the owner befroe me must have let his missus wipe make up all over them, or could have been himself, lol;)

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
On that meet where I bit of an accident, I got blood all over someones seat belts who took me to the ambulance from my head wound and it all came out. So easily cleanable.

clio 172, pug 106 gti
Yeah I brought a 53 plate iceburg silver 172. I've got some lowering springs for it and a carbon k tec splitter on order. Would like some turini's in silver or anthracite and maybe some recaro seats eventually. Thing is the heaters have now packed up! :(

clio 172, pug 106 gti
No nothing comes out at all on any settings, changed the common resistor under the scuttle panel but still nothing!

Yeah looking forward to getting the splitter fitted and getting t lowered!! :)

Megane 225
Yeah I brought a 53 plate iceburg silver 172. I've got some lowering springs for it and a carbon k tec splitter on order. Would like some turini's in silver or anthracite and maybe some recaro seats eventually. Thing is the heaters have now packed up! :(

Why is everyone BRINGING stuff?

Not a Clio

Where did you bring them to? Surely they would know which you meant to bring?

Honestly, IMO my 172 drove better than my 182 naff all difference.

Friggin' Hilarious! So many bloody "bringers" on this site!

330Ci (Fail)Sport
I wished I could have bought a cupped pack 182 when I first got my 172, but since am glad I didn't. Issues getting the exhaust pipes level and more expensive for coilovers for cupped pack I think. Barely do any motorway miles so cruise is no loss for me, plus if I had one less thing to do on a motorway, I'd probably fall asleep.

I think the lower down pull on the 182 might be down to better inlets. Not sure if they had RS inlets like the 172 cup but am pretty sure they're much better than most 172 ones.