ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bought another GTI!

2004 Racing Blue 182
So, after selling my RB182, hating my new job, getting my old job back with a nice pay rise included. I decided that I wanted another nice car. I owned a nice MK5 GTI before the 182 and missed the all-round-ness of the GTI.

I had a shortlist of cars that I fancied, MK5 R32, MK1 TT V6, Impreza WRX and another GTI. After discounting the to V6 cars on running costs (even though they sound amazing) and the Impreza on the fact that I really wanted the STI not the WRX and not being able to stretch my budget to a good STI, I decided on an Edition 30 GTI.

It was at the lower end of the ED30 market, not a minter, but the paintwork was good apart from the inevitable stonechops on the bonnet and a bit of bubbling on one of the front arches, the interior is spot on, but most importantly for a daily driver, its mechanically sound.

I wanted one that was reasonably standard, this one has coilovers (which are a bit too low at the minute), scorpion exhaust, induction kit, and it stage 1 mapped to just short of 300bhp [emoji48]

It goes like f**k and sounds awesome when you plant your right foot. It’s pretty economical too for such a quick car! on a motorway run to Scotland recently i clocked 42mpg over the tank, and after a weekend on Welsh back roads i still managed an indicated 28mpg! happy days.

anyway, pics...

700ccc8f840d674df4f1cf7cfc5320dd.jpg

6e712e054090472a74e9c06ef1b2624a.jpg

95b38604a261c0b92867f0376ea7a818.jpg

0ec84f7b0ffff26693d89542075b9b70.jpg

e13ae581ef66808fd005e96bc9947738.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2004 Racing Blue 182
Love an ED30 me.

I went and looked at a few MK5's recently. All we're fucked!

The pricing on MK5s at the minute is madness, standard GTIs range from £2k to sometimes £6k+ and that’s not even for an ED30! some of these are asking £12k!!! Madness.

If your near Derbyshire, DSC are a well regarded seller of R32s and ED30s. Some of them are a bit too rich but mine was reasonably priced at the time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very nice indeed.

Don't suppose you're interested in a swap of the coilovers for OE dampers and Eibach springs and cash your way depending on brand?

PM if so.

2004 Racing Blue 182
Lovely purchase but I'd love to know how people are getting such high mpg. Best I've seen ever was 32

It’s a weird one in mine, it seems to show better MPG on cruise at 80-85 than at 70-75! So I’m not sure how accurate it is!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a great looking car, love the red colour and wheel colour combo - I briefly looked at one of these as a daily a while back but to get a good one was too rich for my pocket so gave it a miss - but that looks great with some nice little additions too! :D

Nice choice that mate.
Good to see you back after selling the 182.
I'll keep an eye out for the Ed30 around West Yorks.

Land Rover
Watch for front wheel arch rust (a warranty item up to 12 years if it’s not had a previous repair)
A known issue.
Also the sills can go at the rear due to a mud trap, clean it out and wax inject before it happens.

2004 Racing Blue 182
Watch for front wheel arch rust (a warranty item up to 12 years if it’s not had a previous repair)
A known issue.
Also the sills can go at the rear due to a mud trap, clean it out and wax inject before it happens.

Good luck getting VW to honour it though, google it and it’s more often rejected.

2004 Racing Blue 182
Any buying tips on these mate,as the Mk5 is in my short list for my next car.

Rust on front arches, rust on rear arches, lacquer peal on bonnet from stone chips.

Mechanically needs to have proof of cam follower recently, it’s a simple quick job to swap it out anyway. If the turbo whistles and it has no induction kit, it could be a split diaphragm in the diverter valve, either swap it for a newer revision or a DV+.

Interior wise, everything except climate control was an option, even the centre console! So things like cruise control, multi-function steering wheel, midline/highline clocks, the headunit were all boxes to be ticked when new. Exterior options were Xenons (very rare, but std on the R32), electricity folding mirrors, puddle lights.

2004 Racing Blue 182
Also check for recent cambelt renewal, and then the usual wear and tear.

The cam follower is a £30-40 part from VW/Awesome GTI and is easy to change.

The seats are all the same shape, leather or tartan cloth, I think all leathers are heated, but not all cloth seats are, my last GTi had heated tartan seats and they were lovely. I don’t like full leather seats anyway. The ED30 has leather bolsters and tartan cloth centres.

Obviously there is also the choice of manual/DSG, and the wheels come in both 17 and 18” versions.

mart.z.s

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi A3 2.0T Quattro
Love the eddy's. I've had a MK5 GTI (KO3 stage 1), which i think is what prompted me to go into a Leon Cupra (KO4 stage 1), and now back in a Leon FR (K03 Stage 2) as a "cheaper" daily. I keep coming back to them for some reason, but they are good cars when looked after properly. It's bonkers the gain you get on a stage 1 map on the KO4 though.

Main thing that people mention are Cam follower as mentioned, Diverter Valve, & PCV valves.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Lol at the job situ, but if you don't try you don't know. Good of your old boss to pay you more though!
The golf is horrible, I'm not a fan of the MK5 shape at all.

2004 Racing Blue 182
A bit out of my price range like i said.

The E46 M3 can be had for around £6-8k nowadays, and that’s with decent mileage too! Yes they might be over the infamous 100k that everyone wants to be under, but an average of 10-12k a year it’s still good mileage!

M135i are pushing £12k still surely!

Unless of course you want a newer M3?

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I love E46s but would never buy one. Any car that has rust issues is a no for me.

130i is ok, the E87 platform certainly isn't my favourite, but it shares the suspension setup with the E90 (just has things like a shorter prop shaft) which is generally very good. IIRC the 1 series only ever had the N52 (the good one of the 250hp+ 3L NAs from BMW)

Would also consider a 330i if I were you, they're a lot more common and will have better spec. Slap some ARBs and a clutch delay valve delete and you'll have a lovely car to drive.

Don't forget running costs with an M3! It may be cheap to buy now, but is still a £40k+ car to run - my Dad had an E46 M3, 6-speed manual in black, which we loved to bits, still the fastest car I've personally ever driven, but the inspection 2 service at BMW cost him £900, 4 tyres cost £1000 at BMW at the time, its a beautiful car but remember the running of it! Yes we didn't HAVE to go to BMW, but we wanted to for such an immaculate low miler. Sold it in 2014 for £9250, now would be pushing £12-15k for similar condition. Balls!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Manual mate, couldn’t find a DSG that ticked all my boxes

There's an S3 part that's basically a short shift, not a difficult job but really improved the feel/throw on my Octavia

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk