ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bought myself a Crossfire

An old slk chassis, whick itself was based on an old c-class chassis. Old e-class chassis is used for the Chrysler saloon, which I can't remember name of!! Will still handle better than most yank tanks imo!!

al

ST on the way...
MrAtego said:
An old slk chassis, whick itself was based on an old c-class chassis. Old e-class chassis is used for the Chrysler saloon, which I can't remember name of!! Will still handle better than most yank tanks imo!!

300c

Gaz

Flaming Inferno 225
300c is cool as well as long as they dont put that bloody ugly bentley grill on it.

I know that you're not getting a good rap on your purchase but unfortunately I agree with the general consensus.

Top Gear's James May once said that these looked like a dog hunching over to have a s**t, I laughed for a week.:D

Car choice is obviously very personal and you should take all these opinions in good humour, saying that, I'd rather have the car behind the Crossfire in the second picture.;)

Padso

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc
speedynz said:
I know that you're not getting a good rap on your purchase but unfortunately I agree with the general consensus.

Top Gear's James May once said that these looked like a dog hunching over to have a s**t, I laughed for a week.:D

Car choice is obviously very personal and you should take all these opinions in good humour, saying that, I'd rather have the car behind the Crossfire in the second picture.;)
#

Haha i laughed at it to when i saw that episode.

That Beetle was a prize at a charity auction we had for a local childrens cancer ward in belfast. Its pretty cool if your 3 :)

1998 BMW e46 323i
I wouldn't say no to one of these,.. Could pootle round and have a bit of (expensive) oversteer fun.

why have you pressed a button to raise the spoiler? It's like the car is wearing a (chavvy)sovereign ring.

Golf 7R
speedynz said:

Id rather have the goalpost....but each to there own! :cool:

E91 M Sport
john.med said:
I Could pootle round and have a bit of (expensive) oversteer fun.

You'll be lucky: 215bhp + automatic + 20" rear tyres + old merc chassis aren't going to allow much of anything apart from cruising ;)

1998 BMW e46 323i
miketheman2k said:
You'll be lucky: 215bhp + automatic + 20" rear tyres + old merc chassis aren't going to allow much of anything apart from cruising ;)

215... it looks as if it makes twice that. old slk in a shellsuit!

Orange 182
I think you've made a good choice there fella. It might not be the greatest car ever built but neither is the clio or megane and 95% of the people who have commented own one of those. :)

Personally I'd love a 350Z but I've seen loads of them on the road recently and as since virtually everyone here has said "I'd buy a 350Z instead", I think ur lucky to have something a little different...

I got the Crossfire SRT-6 about a month ago. as per this model bar:-
AMG Engine and Gearbox
Reinforced Chassis
Upgrated suspension
Uprated Discs
Uprated Callipers
Larger, fixed rear spoiler

It was marketed as 330 BHP but had identical engine to the SL32 AMG (SLK) which is rated at 350. Apparently as Mecedes part own Chrysler they were "told" to market it at 330BHP as it was cheaper than there car with the same power and didn't want to comprimise there own sales. It is actually 350BHP though..........as the engine, gearbox and ecu are identical.

These are built in Germany in the same factory as the SLK and most of the components you see are bstamped / badged Mercedes or AMG. The engine and all the pipes have AMG on them. The fuel tank, dorrs hinges and many other parts are stamped with the Mercedes logo. It is actually 65% Mercedes components.

Performance is good too:
0-60 4.8 secs
0-100 12.5 secs
80-100 3.5 secs

I love it, especially when I turn traction control off !!!!
These cars are very understated, test drive on and you will see. I part ex'd my Impreza STI PPP for this (305 BHP). and other than about 2 10th's of a scond to 60, this is marginally quicker on the roll.

Gaz

Flaming Inferno 225
Well done mate, thats so cool the crossfire is one of the best kept secrets it grips the road like hell. :)

al

ST on the way...
All the people that are slating the Crossfire...

...have you actually driven one? lol

Mini Cooper S sport
Not a fan myself just based on the looks, but how did you get on against the 182? Did he beat you? ;)

MCS R56
The Crossfire is not a car for driving thrills. Everyone to their own but I doubt you will read any good reviews about them. They regularly get embarassed by small hatches and will be redundant within 10 years. Sorry - they suck!

GDI ???BHP Cliosport172
Id be really interested to know how they fair against a 182? My neighbour has just bought one-little confused as his got more money than sense,just thought he would of chose something else! I believe the top of the range model is 3.2litre?? est 0-60 about 5.5! if i remember correctly.

Yeah barring if you want to spend some extra money on the merc or porsche , the bmw pretty much the top of the class.Not pretty , but pretty good

MCS R56
Id be really interested to know how they fair against a 182? My neighbour has just bought one-little confused as his got more money than sense,just thought he would of chose something else! I believe the top of the range model is 3.2litre?? est 0-60 about 5.5! if i remember correctly.

The supercharged version is 5.5 secs to 60. Regular 3.2 V6 is 6.5 secs so your 182 will be nicely matched and much better handling.

People who buy Crossfires don't know much about cars, or at least good sport cars.

D

dick

i like the look of it, but it cant be very safe on the corners can it, not knowing when its going to change gear? throwing the weightdistribution out... ?

iv never driven an auto anything, but could it happen?

I have the SRT-6 Crossfire that has a few tweaks over the normal crossfire and there are only 2000 coiupes and 900 convertibles worldwide, so very rare.
Changes include:
strengthened chassis
uprated suspension
uprated callipers
uprated discs
larger fixed rear spoiler
lower front lip spoiler
and last, but by no means least........
the engine and gearbox out of the SL32 AMG
It was made for 1 year only (2005) and built at the SLK production site in germany.

The engine is the V6 3.2 ltr supercharged AMG engine and Std BHP is 350 (using 95 ron petrol) it was marketed at 330BHP as being "part owned" by Mercedes at the time it was £15k cheaper than the SL32 AMG and had the same perfomance (infact, being slightly lighter, in practice a little quicker)
road test have consistantly under 5 sec to 60 (mostly recorded at 4.7-4.8)
I run with a sprint booster, Shell Vpower 99 ron petrol and twin K&N air filters. I am hitting 60 in 4.6 now and it is blinding perfomance. Others in the states with the same mods as I have have had rolling road reports showing 360 - 365 BHP.

Mike at Rentech went out in it when it wasn;t fully run in and I had no performance mods done in it, so he can tell what it is like "stock".....Dave went out in it 2 weeks ago, so can tell you what it is like now.
Handling is much improved with the tweaks too.

I hope you all find this an interesting read and in the future if you see an SRT-6 for sale, I would buy it as it is the only "Non mercedes" AMG car every built and is very rare. I still havent seen another one in the 9 months I have had mine.

PS, don't try and race it off the lights !!!!!!!