ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BP ultimate 102 Octane!!!

b/g 182, meg tourer
102 octane?? really? didn't realise it was that high!
my car only ever gets run on v-power or bp ultimate. they both work well

ST
Its £2.50 a litre if you can find it IIRC and it'll do bugger all in your 197 as its not mapped for it...

White 197
Haven't tried the 102 ultimate, but we have started with the new 197 running it solely on Ultimate 97. So it is now on it's 3rd tank and the car really does love it, it is very smooth, very responsive and delivers improved fuel economy.

I pay about a 6p per litre premium for these benefits, which is slightly better than Optimax down here, which is not available for 15 miles.

have run my cars on V-power since it came out, but ive read that the Tesco 99 , was closer to 102 when tested.

I keep reading that in independent tests Tesco 99 is the best every day fuel , ive seen RR plots where V-power, Tesco 99, and BP 102 whent head to head BP 102 won ,but at £2.50 a lt it's too much ( even tho i have a free fuel card ) money!

I'm gonna drain my tank of V-power then have a few tanks of Tesco 99 to see if it makes a difference, and you get points to spend in store! LOL

leon

White 197
As Alan says, the clio's also seam to love the sainsbury's 97. Our last car was run on it.

I have also tried the 99 Ron stuff. The economy was quite poor and we also had the emissons light flicker on the car when it had been running on it.

ST
As Alan says, the clio's also seam to love the sainsbury's 97. Our last car was run on it.

I have also tried the 99 Ron stuff. The economy was quite poor and we also had the emissons light flicker on the car when it had been running on it.

I always ran my 182 on sainsburys super, tried the tesco 99 a few times, i never noticed any difference...tho i guess you'd need to run it for a few tanks to notice any significant advantages or disadvantages over the sainsburys super or the likes...

Just put the tesco 99 in mine last time and the fuel light has come on about 20miles earlier than with optimax. Don't think I've been driving much differently.

Clio 182
Didn't they do a test redently between the different ron fuiels and conclude that there was basically no difference between 95 and 97 even in performance motors? Sure it was on the news.

I run my DC5 on Tesco 99 and have found, in copmparison to Optimax, that you seem to get less mpg.
Thought it would work the other way around, but hey.
Also heard that Tesco source the 99 fuel from wherever its cheapest that month (or whenever they buy fuel), so the source is often different.

Mine seems to run well on 99 RON, its the closest i can get round here to the 100 RON it gets in Japan.
Sod paying over £2 a litre.

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
Not been funny but do any of you suckers notice any difference with fuels? I'd say there is no point unless your car is specificaly mapped to run that fuel.

My runs spot on with any fuel. I cant see any difference between any fuels. I think your just buying in to the idea that it makes any difference and if there is a difference its too small for you to notice.

Morrisons 98p a litre FTW.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Sincing having my ECU flashed my car seems to run much smoother on 97 over 95 at high and low speeds. The map I had loaded was for 98RON which is what is recommended for our cars anyway juding by the massive green sticker on my fuel cap...

Where do you get 98 from though? Cant say ive ever seen it?

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
You wont really notice a difference unless the car is remapped on the fuel anyway. The ECU will try and re-configure for the upgraded fuel, but for better results you'd need the map.

On the same theme, mapping to 102RON fuel and then constantly filling up with 97RON will do the engine no favours at all. Its always best to be forward compatible than backwards. ie filling up with 102RON when you have 95RON min rather than filling up with 95RON when the car is suited to 102RON etc.

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
  Illiad V6 255
I run my DC5 on Tesco 99 and have found, in copmparison to Optimax, that you seem to get less mpg.
Exactly what I've found in the Vee ... I get about 0.5MPG less out of Tesco Super than I do from V-Power. I thought it might be down the to the fact that the Tesco petrol has a higher proportion of bio-ethanol than the Shell?

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Whats with the huge 98ROn sticker on our petrol caps? That doesnt mean our car out of the factory is mapped for it, or Renault are just trying to get us to spend more on fuel :)

Whatever the case with that I am running a 98 map with 97 fuel and it runs noticably better with 97 in than 95!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Vees don;t run properly on normal unleaded so Optimax and Ultimate are the only ones to use.

Not wrong ran 95 once, didn't have a choice and it was painful! Pinked like hell!

sainsbury's is fine mate as above it's BP fuel!

R26, R27
yes i have used it quite a bit in my 172 and you notice that it picks up better from lower revs,if you or any one goes out on track days i would advise them to put this fuel in

Whats with the huge 98ROn sticker on our petrol caps? That doesnt mean our car out of the factory is mapped for it, or Renault are just trying to get us to spend more on fuel :)

Whatever the case with that I am running a 98 map with 97 fuel and it runs noticably better with 97 in than 95!

Running 97 RON won't do any harm , but i think you need to TRY and put in what it says on the filler cap at least!

My cars mapped from the factory @98 RON ive been running V-power , but gonna give Tesco 99 a whirl, better RON , cheaper , and you get points! hopfully getting a remap in a month or two , so if the car likes the Tesco 99 it will be remapped on it to get the most from it!

leon

Vw caddy tdi
bp ultimate has no official octane rating I read the leaflet, personally find optimax smoother drive and at idle (99+ ron) think its about how clean fuel is and the burn time/temp ultimate may be clean and burn quicker than standard super but its octane has no gaurentee of 102ron! where as optimax does gaurentee at least 99+Ron (possibly higher) ... used to own a r5 that needed high octane to survive pinking/detonation at high boost trust If optimax existed back then I would have used + blue juice. Forecourt fuel can also loose octane when sat for long periods so use a garage that sells alot to make sure not gettin last months dregs of reduced octane but for a clio its not terminal anyways.

Last edited:
  182 ff silver
i ran my 172 on the cheapest fuel there was for 20k and it drove perfectly fine i think its pointless all this high octane bollox!!!

Disco 5 ,Monaro VXR
i just use normal petrol in the bmw.

But when the scooby arrives she will have to run on higer octane

But tesco's 99 ron as stated has a good rep.

If you can't afford the fuel for thats stated for the car should you really have that car??

I think people should have the car they choose regardless of the petrol they put init, but if you want to give a car a fighting chance of reaching the claimed BHP figures ( it's well know that Clios tend to be down on power ) then TRY and put in what it says on the tin!

It's no skin off my nose if someone wants to put 95RON in a 98RON car!

leon

White clique
i've tried the BP stuff, it didnt really seem much different to the Tesco 99 which i always use. I only really notice a difference between any of the fuels if i am poor and have to live on 95!!

Vectra 1.9 CDTi SRi 150
BP Ultimate 102 will only see gains if your car is re-mapped specifically for it....from what I was told at Donny. Saw a Porsche 911 before and after dyno run. Car was re-mapped for the BP Fuel. The result was 100 BHP peak increase. Obviously not on a Clio, but I would of thought it was as good as your gonna get. They fuel is only sold at a handful of stations anyway, hard to get hold of.

http://www.bp.com/genericsection.do?categoryId=6621&contentId=7017179

Monblue bombay badboy!
I run mine on farmer Giles goose fat, bloody thing flys!:)

Tesco 99 is rubbish imo, optimax all the way or second ultimate. Tesco`s 99 does seem to run lower mpg( or maybe thats my driving)

Last edited:
  monaco blue 172 ..
i ran my 172 on the cheapest fuel there was for 20k and it drove perfectly fine i think its pointless all this high octane bollox!!!
well put ,just another excuse to get more money from the motorist.
not worth spending the extra money for the LITTLE gains you will get.
only ever used normal unleaded and it flies , so dont see any point in spending more.....just my opinion...

Tangoed Works
ive always got less than 95 ron on mpg with tesco 99. think the car runs shite on it. sainsburys 97 makes the car noticeably smoother.

Elise,Pum,WRX,MCS,R6
Tesco 99 fuel is good but I did notice a massive drop in mpg for some reason.
BP Ult & shell opitmax are good all round.
I tried some Total super and it got me the best mpg by far and felt good as the bp Ult/Shell Optimax.

Tesco 99 fuel is good but I did notice a massive drop in mpg for some reason.
BP Ult & shell opitmax are good all round.
I tried some Total super and it got me the best mpg by far and felt good as the bp Ult/Shell Optimax.

Snap mate, when i picked up my car ( used model , not a spanker )the dealer put Total super in , and it drove fine , and seem too last forever:D

http://www.thorneymotorsport.co.uk/tuning/Fuel_Test_Results_Update.shtml

Just found the link to the test , it could be a load of balony , but it's worth a punt!

I'm just gonna have a pop at the Tesco see if it is any better than the V-power!

leon

Last edited:
  many
Stick with Optimax or V Power or whatever the rebranding of it was.

It comes from a single source and is at least consistant.

99 is a maximum spec for the Tesco branded product, V Power is a minimum spec AFAIK ;)

123D Coupe + MK1 MX5
How big a part in performance does fuel play?

I seriously just use normal unleaded in my clio.

How much of a difference would I notice with any of the above mentioned fuels?

- Mark

Stick with Optimax or V Power or whatever the rebranding of it was.

It comes from a single source and is at least consistant.

99 is a maximum spec for the Tesco branded product, V Power is a minimum spec AFAIK ;)

Did you have a look at the test? in the link i put up?

The CSL was tested for 11.500miles the Tesco 99 was the most consistant, and best bang for buck!

leon