ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BP Ultimate f**ked up my car

If you recall I was having major troubles with my 172 not starting first time. Througout this time I was running on BP Ultimate (I havent tried Optimax as its like gold dust where I live for some reason).

The other day I was running low on petrol, and for an experiment I put BPs standard unleaded in (95 RON) and *touches wood* It has been fine ever since.

Is it possible that my car doesnt like BP ultimate, even tho Renault recommend 98 RON Unleaded?

172beast

Ultimates w**k, not very good fuel at all. Either use Opti or normal 95 ron, tbh only reason for running Opti is its cleaning properties, folk on here will argue it helps there 172 but on a NA car a bit of extra ron does very little.

Clio 182

I use BP Ultimate most of the time now because its more convenient to get hold of, never noticed any difference from when I ran it on Optimax constantly.

BP Ultimate 97 is good stuff, hard to tell the difference between Optimax with my engine anyhow.

My car loves the currnet batch of BP stuff in the car now :D

Never had any probs with Ultimate tbh; although ran mine on 95 most of the time as I get a fuel card from work - didnt seem to make much difference, although the 100 RON VPower stuff we used at the ring was good!!

Ziel Nurburgring

I found Ultimate made the 172 really lumpy at tickover and 95 was fine but lost the surge at around 5K. Always stick to Optimuck, if only for the cleaning and better MPG

The one time I used BP Ultimate (not through choice), my exhaust gas warning light came on. It went out once the car was back on Optimax and flushed through.

Make of that what you will, could be coincidence.

I use Optimax or Ultimate - whichever is convenient,,,but Ive also noticed that Esso do a 97 Ron now, and they only charge 3p more per litre than 95. Cant say Ive noticed any difference, no matter what Ive put in. If Ive been getting low on juice, Ive occassionally put in a bit of 95 ron in, just to get where Im going, but I cant say I noticed any difference even then. Perhaps we should have a poll on which one people think is best. Is there any technical reason not to use 95 ron?

[Edited by Brooktop on 15 July 2005 at 10:19am]

182 Full Fat

I dont think there is any harm in the 95 stuff. But I myself find the car ticks over roughly on the 95, compared to 97 or 98. Ive considered putting in redex (injection) or STP stuff is sold. Anyone tried any of these fuel additives as a one off??

Ziel Nurburgring

Quote: Originally posted by Brooktop on 15 July 2005

I use Optimax or Ultimate - whichever is convenient,,,but Ive also noticed that Esso do a 97 Ron now, and they only charge 3p more per litre than 95. Cant say Ive noticed any difference, no matter what Ive put in. If Ive been getting low on juice, Ive occassionally put in a bit of 95 ron in, just to get where Im going, but I cant say I noticed any difference even then. Perhaps we should have a poll on which one people think is best.Its been done to the death over the last 2 years and will do for the next 2. Is there any technical reason not to use 95 ron? Cant give you the exact answer, but its something to do the with 98 being a cleaner burn, meaning more power from the fuel. So although you may or may not feel it, it is the one your supposed to use (Renault recommend 98 only).

[Edited by Brooktop on 15 July 2005 at 10:19am]

clio 16v

well in my valver, the BP stuff has made it tick over roughly, and stopped the exhauts popping. even the 95 RON stuff was better, so i wont be using it again!!

Vee dub

Quote: Originally posted by stehodges on 15 July 2005

I dont know who this Ron chap is but he must have a fair bit of wealth

lol

I use Optimax in mine and seems to run really well on the stuff

Elise/VX220/R26

Ive had the same experience with the 225 and optimax as I did in the 172, it makes no difference to performance (in fact the petrol cap on the 225 says 95 or 98 RON not just 98 as my clio did) Also with putting it in the 225 my mpg dropped by about 3. Ill never use anything but 95 ron. 98 RON is the biggest con in motoring.

I just use standard unleaded, SUL has a negligible difference and the car will be tuned to run in the UK anyway.

AFAIK the Clio 182 ECU retards the ignition timing if youre using 95RON, to prevent detonation (or something like that). Youll get the best power and throttle response using 98RON or higher.

Whether or not you notice it, or much less even care, is your own concern. Personally I always use Optimax as its fairly easy to come by in the south. For the sake of a few pounds here and there, I doint see the point in using a fuel that isnt meant to be used in my engine. If I was that bothered by a few pennies Id have bought a DCi.

I use 98RON Optimax because its readily available here - its what the engine is mapped to run on - and Im not a pikey ;)

Astra VXR 17/05/07

I have used Ultimate in my 182 from day one.

It runs fine and i cant honestly say i notice any difference when i bung the odd tank of Optimax in.:confused:

It runs the same whatever i put in it.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R

I used Ultimate and Optimax on the 182 and couldnt tell the difference to be honest.

Put Ultimate in the Scooby P1 now, too, as Optimax station is a 25mile round trip, but when I do get the chance I use Optimax. Again, havent noticed a difference.

Personally Ive always found 98RON to give a smoother power delivery and better throttle response. The engine seems to breath better, and revs higher more easily.

I realise some of this is probably placebo, but as long as I feel better using it, and Im not bothered by a few pennies, then Ill stick to me Optimax :)

Elise/VX220/R26

Didnt evo do a test on optimax a few years back and basically proved there was no performance gain or did I dream that? I think it cleaned the valves better or something but that was about it

^^dunno, but Id wager that if an ECU is mapped for 98, then it might be prudent to use 98? Also if it keeps my engine cleaner then Im already happy :D

Id like to hear the views of the pros on this subject, although I appreciate theyve probably discussed it many times in the past.

Silver 182 F/F

I picked up my new 182 last week and because it had no fuel in it i put a tenners worth on normal fuel in it,i had no starting problems.This week put optimax in it and every morning it wont start first time,but fires up on second attempt.May be coincidence.

Ive used Ultimate (97?) from day one simply because Shells nearest garage is near Castle Combe, which is a good 20 miles away. So although they recommend 98, I would be hard pressed to fill up on 98 when needed as its hardly common in these parts.

I understand some cars must run on Optimax, must be a pain in the ass.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy

i use sainsburys premium cos its nearest to me! no probs over here.

Quote: Originally posted by nelson182 on 15 July 2005

I dont think there is any harm in the 95 stuff. But I myself find the car ticks over roughly on the 95, compared to 97 or 98. Ive considered putting in redex (injection) or STP stuff is sold. Anyone tried any of these fuel additives as a one off??
i ran my tank down 2 the last drop, which chucked all the crap at the bottom of the tank up in the engine, which made it gudder a lot. put sum redex in wen i filled it up and it has run smoother than ever, since.

1.8 Civic EX

optimax all the way. Ultimate made my valver run like absolute sh*te, spent a lot of money trying to work out what the problem was....turns it is was the ultimate...total w*nk imo.....

FF 182, K5 GSX-R1000

The MON rating should also be taken into account, and i believe Ultimate is actually superior.

The value gives the anti-knock properties of the fuel. A higher number means more compession/advance can be used before pinking is encountered.

e60 M5 -172- dciheid

Quote: Originally posted by blink172 on 15 July 2005

I found Ultimate made the 172 really lumpy at tickover and 95 was fine but lost the surge at around 5K. Always stick to Optimuck, if only for the cleaning and better MPG

same prob here - i have ended up with sticking by optimax for 172 and 172 cup. much better

tho had esso super 97 Ron as i was well in the red when going back to glasgow and had to stop off at doune services, been fine so far:D

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold

Mine loves the BP Ultimate stuff and Optimax.

When either of them is used the car pops and bang!

But i dont have a 2.0 engine so it probably wudnt make a significant difference to me.

i have found optimax to be better than all the others i have tryed. my mate never used to put optimax in his type r but when he did he said it made the engine feel so much more smoother and revd more free than before. he couldnt beleave the difference it made. all he uses now is optimax