ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

brake disc drilling

230 clio v6
Does anyone know where i can get my brake disc drilled or grooved ? I don't fancy doing it myself ....

E46 320D Tourer!
Not sure if you can get me drilled/grooved matey. Most people just buy em ready done. Think the general consensus on here is that drilled and grooved wear the pads down quicker without much if any braking gain.

53 Clio's & counting
For a Clio drilled or grooved discs don't offer an advantage over solid ones plus you wouldn't ever drill or cut into standard ones anyway

Lotus Elise
After doing a study on drilled and grooved disks at University the conclusion was: Taking a plain disk and drilling it generates weak points and focal point for stress resulting in cracks or fractures.

Most pre drilled disks are cast with the holes, draft angles and chamfers to stop them cracking.

I wrote two thousand words on the subject, I could go on.....

182cup & 172 racecar
After doing a study on drilled and grooved disks at University the conclusion was: Taking a plain disk and drilling it generates weak points and focal point for stress resulting in cracks or fractures.

Most pre drilled disks are cast with the holes, draft angles and chamfers to stop them cracking.

I wrote two thousand words on the subject, I could go on.....

Even pre drilled ones crack. (sorry can crack)

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
The heat that builds up around a drilled hole on a disc, as the disc expands and retracts its this that slowly stars to distort and crack the area around these drilled holes.

personally, I wouldn't bother with drilled, it doesn't add any additional cooling, but I am all for grooved discs as they can aid a little deglazing, but you don't need discs with hundreds of grooves to get this benefit.

Lotus Elise
The heat that builds up around a drilled hole on a disc, as the disc expands and retracts its this that slowly stars to distort and crack the area around these drilled holes.

personally, I wouldn't bother with drilled, it doesn't add any additional cooling, but I am all for grooved discs as they can aid a little deglazing, but you don't need discs with hundreds of grooves to get this benefit.

SAE Papers show advantages to having drilled disks in most high performance applications, mainly the removal of the gas and better heat dissipation. Not need on a Clio though unless its for looks.