ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brake pad advice!

My brakes on my 182 are poo...

they dont look very old (not had car long) and are mintex in the front.

ive searched a lot of "what brake pad" threads and dont really want to spend 100+ on pads right now as ive just bought

the car
tax
insurance
and mot due in about a week!

(all thanks to ebayer chris_holly0 :mad:for selling me this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160398793369&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT)

yea i didnt check everything and its my fault. :rolleyes: i was too trusting! but folding the tax disk into the corner and lyin about the car makes said guy a t**t in my book!

anyway, trying NOT to get side tracked with a rant, and start my clio-owning days on a bad foot...

BASICALLY... im looking at spending around £60 on some front pads.

im edging towards these

http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/products/product_info.mhtml?product=574386

anyone with any views/ opinions or advise on alternatives, please post below ;)

thanks

ITB'd MK1
when you say they're poo, what do you mean? quite possible they're just fitted in the caliper wrong (common) and sticking. probably also a good idea to bleed/flush the fluid for fresh stuff, makes a LOT of difference

how can they be fitted wrong?

ive had them out and cleaned, scruffed and lubed them and not luck.
They're ok for pottering around, but when i brake hard they dont seem to grip at all. i can lift off the seat braking and i might as well throw a brick on a rope out the window!!

ITB'd MK1
not unusual for pads for these cars to be made too big for the caliper. or with too much coating, so they sit too tight and dont slide properly. Ferodo's are the worst for it. If you've cleaned them up then they should be ok i guess. I'd definitely give bleeding the fluid a go first

forgot to mention i did change the fluid, they seemed to go in ok so i dont think they would be that tight... worth checking tho now you mention it. thanks

i presume they're just cheap pads?

ITB'd MK1
mintex are actually pretty good. They do a whole range from completely standard right up to race stuff. depends what you have.

Dont think i'd use either of the ones you've suggested above though. Ferodo DS performance are in your price range IIRC, I have them in my mk1 and they're decent

172, BMW 120 Msport.
I have cheapo mintex ones, wasnt a lot, they great from what i see.

Daft question, are you sure the car ISNT taxed? He hasnt done it online and not recieved the tax disc yet? Not calling you stupid like but it could be the case!

yea defo i rang the guy.

end of it was - sold as seen. bye!

he knew what he was doin.

ok i might run the car a bit and see how the mintex are before i dive in as no one seems to think they are bad. thanks

yea im not too upset but he did hide a lot of little things which was annoying.

ok ill defo give them a go first - cars not on the road til friday (tax!). cant wait!

cheers

Chav Rocket
lol how can you buy a car and not check this stuff...? have you checked the vin on the chassis matches the log book?

Have you taken the pads out to see if there glazed or anything?

Quick rub of the pads surface on a house brick if so.

File of the edges of the pads if theyre too tight.. etc

had the pads out and cleeaned and rubbed them down. went for a lil drive today and the pads work ok untill you really need them or brake very hard / from high speed then they just seem rubbish