ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

brake question please help guys

hi everyone i really need everyones opinion on what to do as i want to improve on the standard brake set up for my clio 172 mk2 without braking the bank!! i really am short on funds but the care is getting dangerous now and i need it for work!!

anyway here we go:
1) where can you get standard discs front and rear from at a cheap price? if combined with a good set of pads are these good enough cos i am not doing any further engine mods? if so are the kelvar pads for front and rear front ktec any good they are 29.95 for each set

2) if the standard discs work out more expensive that aftermarket ones which ones would people recommend at a good price? as well as pads?

3) wanting upgraded brake hoses are goodridge a good make have seen some on ebay for less than 40 plus p&p can anyone get these cheaper?

4) which is the best brake fluid to get and again where can i get this from?

my local garage is going to fit the lot for me for around 125 so is everything covered above is parts needed etc

thanks guys i know it is alot of stuff asked but help would be most appreciated cheers

Cup 172
Try GSF for front discs. Standard rear discs and pads from Yozza cost 165 I think. These come with the bearing pressed in. I couldnt find them cheaper. No point in upgrading rear pads.

Not heard anything good about the K tec pads. I got Green Stuff for £45 on the front. Combined with the standard front discs they are great for road use.

Front discs are fine. Avoid the drilled and grooved ones. Brembo ones are about the same price/performance but have wear indicators.

Got my hoses for about that. I doubt if you can find them cheaper. Worthwhile upgrade though.

I used the Castrol stuff that Yozz sells. Ideal for the job.

cheers for that information mate i will look into this....anyone else got any opnions or advise greatly appreciated cheers..what i ideally want to do is by the pads one month and the discs the next month

Clio 172 mk2
Yozzasport do a good package which includes Brembo discs, greenstuff pads and braided hoses.

Looks good for fast road use:D

clidge said:
hi everyone i really need everyones opinion on what to do as i want to improve on the standard brake set up for my clio 172 mk2 without braking the bank!! i really am short on funds but the care is getting dangerous now and i need it for work!!

anyway here we go:
1) where can you get standard discs front and rear from at a cheap price? if combined with a good set of pads are these good enough cos i am not doing any further engine mods? if so are the kelvar pads for front and rear front ktec any good they are 29.95 for each set

2) if the standard discs work out more expensive that aftermarket ones which ones would people recommend at a good price? as well as pads?

3) wanting upgraded brake hoses are goodridge a good make have seen some on ebay for less than 40 plus p&p can anyone get these cheaper?

4) which is the best brake fluid to get and again where can i get this from?

my local garage is going to fit the lot for me for around 125 so is everything covered above is parts needed etc
Stock setups very good for the money just refresh it for cheap.
New disks are £60 or so from halfords/GSF/Yozzasport i think
Pads £40 from Renault but there are other places sell stuff.
Stock type disk are more than enought forget any fancy drilled etc stuff there usless.
If you want better pads DS2500's for £80 ish from Yozzasport is the cheapest I've found.
I don't like the Ktec kevlar stuff.
£40 for lines is about normal cheap price.
Yozzasport sell new disk pads ds2500 pads lines for £200 i think which is best value but ds2500's are only realy needed if you drive very very hard or do track days IMO.
£125 for fitting there is a rip off people on here will do it fort much less if your near Birmingham Fred will fit the Yozzapsort stuff for free ( think (he's a co owner of the company). But any more than say 1.5 hours labour inclusing bleeding the brakes is a rip off.

clidge said:
lol awesone fred!!! cheers for that assistance guys anyone know i good place to get cheap genuine renualt discs from for front and rear ?

are these any good for the price

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200028741059&fromMakeTrack=true

cheers
Bargin price but I'd not expect them to have bearing pushed in or even supplied with bearing at that price.
I'd never used drilled or groved disk personally there more trouble with no benefit other than looks IMO. (On normal cars).

cheers guys for help any cheap sites for standard discs are they vented at front and solid at back? looking at eurocarparts and they can do new front vented and rear discs solid for 100 including vat and delivery? any good?

I can recommend the EBC Greenstuff pads without question. I've just changed to them from OEM and the brakes are now at least 20% better than before. The pedal feel is greatly improved and the overall stopping ability is far more confidence inspiring. I'm not sure why pedal feel should be better though, perhaps less compression of the material?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
standard discs with ds2500 pads. I have them and love them

cheers again guys thanks for that i think i have made my mind up

new standard discs front and rear with ds2500 pads (on front or all round) cheers

s**t almost forgot would this set up have a good life for general all round riving non track of course..god i am nearly on 1000 yippy!!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
well mine have been fitted since last aug, the car gets stick, and the pads have loads of life in them.:)

just get standard rear pads, as the rears dont do much braking whilst driving

clio 200 F4Rt
did someone say brakes......

100_0868-vi.jpg

100_0930-vi.jpg

hehe

right guys i think i am going for the following due to recommendations

standard discs front and rear

standard rear pads bendix i think they are?

and ds2500 pads from ferodo

just need the cheapest prices now (come on my fred gives us a discount buddy)

Megane R26
Got the same as Karen, just need to get it fitted.

- Managed to get Brembo HC's for £66 from GDI,
- Mintex M1444 front/rear pads for £60 (I love ebay, check BBPT as they are doing them for £70)
- Goodridge lines £45 (again ebay)

All prices included del and vat

Megane R26
For your setup i'd say:

Brembo HC Front's - £60
Standard Rears - £160
Mintex Fast road Front/Rear -£70
Goodridge Lines - £40

Clio 182
clidge said:
cheers for that mate..thanks again for all your help in my decision guys and galls!! how muhc was that karen?

Can't remember exactly, will post when I get home after lunch, although it was in another thread the other week. Was done at Mark Fish.

Renaultsport 220T
Clidge, you can contact him on 01279 431628.

Only best leave it till next week, as he's off to Spa tomorrow he's racing there this weekend.

;)

Clio 182
sm_wrc said:
Clidge, you can contact him on 01279 431628.

Only best leave it till next week, as he's off to Spa tomorrow he's racing there this weekend.

;)

f**k and I need to talk to him about my next improvements ;)