ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brake Warping on a Trophy, suggestions please!

Gregs79

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Trophy
Hi all,

I have always upgraded brakes on my cars, as I think that it improves the car is so many ways for swift b road trips and track days and I have always been disappointed in the Trophy’s braking performance, but other people seem the be fairly pleased with them as a standard setup. Is there a reason mine could be so different to other peoples? Could the brake fluid be a reason? Is it worth going back to Renault while it is under warranty?

I wonder if you could help me regarding my brake problem. I am running the standard setup and seem to have warped my brakes from a spirited drive.

I want to keep the standard wheels and have considered the route other people take with the brembo discs and various pads, but don't want to spend the cash on that if the result is not going to be significantly different.

I have also considered looking into purchasing 4 pot callipers and along all the following routes:

1) Brembo's from a 197
2) Wilwood
3) AP Racing
4) Hi Spec
5) Comp brake

Any suggestions, advice and info on prices would be great.

Kind regards

Dom

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.
How many miles have you done, as the standard pads will last about 20k and then IMO need changing.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Under warranty, you better sit down & wait.
Till they stop laughing:D

Peddled device
If you keep your foot on the brake after braking hard (ie coming off a motorway and keeping your foot on the brake whilst you have stopped) this will mean that the heat that has built up will be drawn away through the pads faster than the areas exposed to the air.This is a cause of warping.

Gregs79

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Trophy
Have you ran the brakes in? I usually run them in for 200 miles just to be sure?

The brakes are not new and I have done 2000+ miles on them so no worries there.

Under warranty, you better sit down & wait.
Till they stop laughing

I am not expecting them to replace the discs and pads under warranty as I understand that they are classed as wear and tear items!
That said there is no need to take the piss! When I had an MR2, toyota did replace both pads and discs, and my brother has had them replaced after 20k on his Fiat Punto both under warranty!

If you keep your foot on the brake after braking hard (ie coming off a motorway and keeping your foot on the brake whilst you have stopped) this will mean that the heat that has built up will be drawn away through the pads faster than the areas exposed to the air.This is a cause of warping.?

I haven't done this, I have done lots of track days in various cars and know about leaving the brakes and hand brake on following hard braking!

Thanks anyway though.

Last edited:
  VX220 Turbo
if you drive it in a way which warps the disks look for two piece disks they warp less than single piece. compbrake kit comes with 2 piece disks not sure about the others

I have always upgraded brakes on my cars, as I think that it improves the car is so many ways for swift b road trips and track days and I have always been disappointed in the Trophy’s braking performance, but other people seem the be fairly pleased with them as a standard setup. Is there a reason mine could be so different to other peoples? Could the brake fluid be a reason? Is it worth going back to Renault while it is under warranty
I wonder if you could help me regarding my brake problem. I am running the standard setup and seem to have warped my brakes from a spirited drive.

I have also considered looking into purchasing 4 pot callipers and along all the following routes
1) Brembo's from a 197
2) Wilwood
3) AP Racing
4) Hi Spec
5) Comp brake
Best get the fluid bled and check the disk etc but realy te stock setup has its weekness IMO and there are better abeitly expensive stuff out there of the choice you gave I'd probably go for the 197 brakes but there not a direct fit and master cylinder etc could be an issue as the calipers are a bigger size plus unfortunatly you need bigger wheels which i don't like.
Willwood i like them used to have a set of them realy liked them best keep to smaller disk for unsprung weight reason not the bigger disk so many people love IMO
AP racing no real idea supposed to be good from what I've heard.
Hi spec are good but Im sure there a big budge better than stock but not what I'd pick

Compbrakes are nice as they fit under 15's but the pipes are a bit to long idealy get some shorter ones made up would be ideal but there not cheap for a setup whcih still needed bigger lines supplying

Just make sure you get a set with dust seals IMO.

You'll never warp the disk unless you are stopped dead and keeping your foot on the brakes and even then thats not properly warping brakes,