ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Braking In Wet Conditions!!

RenaultSport clio 182
I bought my 54 plate 182 only 3 weeks ago, after upgrading from a 1.2 Dynamique its so much fun :)

However I thought the brakes would be a big improvement on the 1.2 16v's as they have discs all round, but I find in the wet, especially say braking from 70mph braking is so slow and I have to stamp on the brakes to get it to stop.

Just wondering if anyone else has the same problem or thoughts on this, or is there a problem with my brakes? It's as if the ABS stops you from locking up but also won't allow you to brake either!!

Thanks

MKIII 138
its gonna be said but il say it first try not to slam on the brakes at 70mph in the wet. also check your pads.

is this a known issue with the 182`s a few people have mentioned how the brakes dont feel as positive as their 172`s did ????

GTi
The brakes on my 182 have never filled me with confidence so I am booked into GDI on Wednesday for the YozzaSport Brake kit.
Like you Artic I was expecting my brakes to be a lot better..my old Laguna brakes felt stronger..

Chris

MKIII 138
CDC182 said:
The brakes on my 182 have never filled me with confidence so I am booked into GDI on Wednesday for the YozzaSport Brake kit.
Like you Artic I was expecting my brakes to be a lot better..my old Laguna brakes felt stronger..

Chris

however my 172MKII brakes were sharp as anything ive experienced before really stopped you dead, yet the 182`s surley are the same so why arent they as good ?? having said that my 172cup brakes are also good ?

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
I also had a 1.2 clio a while back, and the reason they stop so damn well is because they dont have any weight at the front like a 182 has! My 182 doesnt feel quite as good under breaking as my 1.2 did, but it still feels very good considering its so much heavier.

MKIII 138
recaro182 said:
I also had a 1.2 clio a while back, and the reason they stop so damn well is because they dont have any weight at the front like a 182 has! My 182 doesnt feel quite as good under breaking as my 1.2 did, but it still feels very good considering its so much heavier.

but surley your 1.2 stock didnt have 280mm vented discs at the front and discs at the rear like the 182`s has, not to mention better fluid and EBFD, ABS

BMW 320d SE
Good point. It also doesn't explain the difference between the mk2 172 and the 182, as mentioned above.

Never had a problem really with my 182 as long as I use the brakes briskly. I think a lot of people confuse stopping power with the over-assisted feel that you get in lots of cars. The 182 brakes feel very progressive to me, with good pedal feel. Press the pedal hard and they will stop the car - I reckon some of you are just used to over-assisted 'girl brakes' ;)

MKIII 138
Roy Munson said:
Never had a problem really with my 182 as long as I use the brakes briskly. I think a lot of people confuse stopping power with the over-assisted feel that you get in lots of cars. The 182 brakes feel very progressive to me, with good pedal feel. Press the pedal hard and they will stop the car - I reckon some of you are just used to over-assisted 'girl brakes' ;)

Focus ST

182>FRS>VX220 now 350Z
Roy Munson said:

I agree. Its just because the brakes on 'normal' cars are over servo'd ;)

If you dont manage to get used to them buy some PF 97 pads....they eat disks and produce killer dust but they stop the car like nothing else and offer excellent pedal feel :)

Yep, over assisted girl brakes may feel like they have superior stopping power, but they take away pedal feel, which is a bad thing in a sports orientated car, especially one with some track focus.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Roy Munson said:

Yep, agree with that Roy.

My wife thinks my brakes are s***, and that the ones on her Focus are "much better". Over assisted, sharp and snappy is what they are in the Focus.

You might have to lean on mine a bit more, but they perform consistently every single time they're called upon...

Lee

BMW M2C
I'm in a 1.2 today and almost put myself through the screen when I braked. I reckon it's down to the drums on the rear, they really stop you at low speeds but wouldn't be much use after prolonged hard road or track use. The pedal is more of an on off switch on the 1.2 and a lot less progressive.

I've never had any problems with the brakes on any of my Renault Sport Clios, on track or road.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
meggerman said:
but surley your 1.2 stock didnt have 280mm vented discs at the front and discs at the rear like the 182`s has, not to mention better fluid and EBFD, ABS

1.2 16V has 260mm vented front disks, ABS and brake assist, same set up they use on the 1.2 and 1.6 16V (phase 3 1.6 16Vs had rear disks) and from what ive heard rear disks are no better than drums for stoping, they just get rid of the heat better.

Drum brakes are actually more efficient than disks because the shoes have a 'self locking' action. You dont need to put as much energy into a drum brake as you do a disk, to get the same stopping efficiency. But a drum brake will overheat extremely easily.

Before I get my head stamped on - I'm not saying drums are better at stopping a car, I'm just saying they are more mechanically efficient in terms of energy put into them.

A 182 could probably live with rear drums off the track without too many problems.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Best way to improve your braking skills (easpecially in the wet) is to buy and drive a 172 cup.....!!!!!

No ABS - its a steep learning curve in the wet.. if you have A539 yoko's then its suicidal !!!!!!!!!!!!

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
Martin_89 said:
1.2 16V has 260mm vented front disks, ABS and brake assist, same set up they use on the 1.2 and 1.6 16V (phase 3 1.6 16Vs had rear disks) and from what ive heard rear disks are no better than drums for stoping, they just get rid of the heat better.

Yup. This is true. The brakes on these lil motors are actually very good.
Same ABS and EBD as the 172s !

Just that the discs are slightly larger on the 172s.

Ive stuck on some nice discs and pads with much better fluid and blimy the car does stop well :D :banghead:

RenaultSport clio 182
Thanks for that!

Braking in the dry is fine, just driving on the motorway at the weekend in the pouring rain and I had very little confidence in the brakes.

Also after 7000 miles there's no way the pads should need replacing

Lionel Richie
Artic_blue_182 said:
Thanks for that!

Braking in the dry is fine, just driving on the motorway at the weekend in the pouring rain and I had very little confidence in the brakes.

have you checked them though??

White Van Man
What tends to happen is that on the motorway, especially in the wet, the braked don't get used, and become cold, the first time you come to use them, they have no power, but as soon as they get a bit of temperature in them, they're back to normal.

Clio 197
Braking in the wet in a 182:

Consistently (both my 182's): the discs and pads get soaked in heavy rain... and simply don't work for approx one second, on first application of the pedal.

This is also the case with my 'yozzasprt' fast road setup.

Grooved discs may help with this?

I know that on my 225, the brakes worked all the time, every time: hot/cold/wet/dry - they were super.

One thing that's really improved my braking (in the 182) is a strut brace: it's far more stable under heavy braking, and the tyres really dig-in to the tarmac (I doubt this is 'placebo' effect).

E91 M Sport
At first I also thought the 182 brakes were rubbish (and the g/f still does), but once they've got some heat into them they're very strong and very progressive. The "wet motorway" syndrome is quite scary, and other cars definitely don't suffer as badly.

Since changing my suspension I accidently severed my ABS wire, so I'm now rocking on the 'cup' setup, and I have to say, even in the rain, I'm enjoying the lack of ABS. Its much more natural....hang on, didn't all cars use to be like this? :)

(if I crash on the way home now, I'm gonna look like a right plonker)

Mercedes AMG GLE 53
Never really had confidence in the brakes on my 03 172.
182 seems better, although will be looking to upgrade them when worn out.
Any suggestions on which pads & discs to use?

Dave

The 182 pads are slightly different than 172 ones there smaller at the edge so maybe this has an effect. Only when 182 pads are about 1/3 used are they upto there full size. I'd guess they lose about 10~15% there surface area when new due to the chamfer they have.
DS 2500 and new fluid is a good cheap worthwhile upgrade new disks as well (and new pads should be beddin into new disks realy) and new braided hoses. However DS2500 will wear disks a bit more DS3000 are even harder on disks

lawrence

ClioSport Club Member
  is non-existent
repeating whoever said try a 172 cup for braking in the wet, dont have to rely on abs to get you out of sticky situations, you live and learn i suppose

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Fred2001Dynamic said:
if you have PE2's then you spin off and die in a horrible bloody crash

Fred if you had PE2 on at Oulton then i think Yozz would still be your friend...

Fred you need to get your own car and get it on the track...and leave thoses A539 in the bin..!

Lionel Richie
EVOgone said:
Fred if you had PE2 on at Oulton then i think Yozz would still be your friend...

Fred you need to get your own car and get it on the track...and leave thoses A539 in the bin..!

he sill is my friend!! he dislikes PE2's too

i'll see yo ass on track next year boyo!!!

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Fred2001Dynamic said:
he sill is my friend!! he dislikes PE2's too

i'll see yo ass on track next year boyo!!!

I hear you need to have a modified car to be confident...... Turbo Megan..???? See you at the Ring.....

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Fred2001Dynamic said:
pah, ok i'll use a bog std valver (aka the company support vehicle)

As previously said see you at the ring... well in my mirror for a few corners at least..LOL

Wake up and smell the coffee...LOL

I reckon grooved discs are a bonus in the wet from what I've felt of my Yoaazsport set up (Pagid Blues + grooved Brembo max) - seem to still have plenty of bite straight away :cool:

Artic_blue_182 said:
Thanks for that!

mine are 75% worn after 8000

Clio 182, Audi A3
When I had my pads changed we found the sliding calipers weren't sliding properly so just one pad was pushing hard onto one side of each caliper. Put copperslip on the calipers (which have nice little dips to hold water when you park) to try and keep them free in the future. Brakes are better again now, we'll see how they last.

PS The sticking calipers meant the piston side pads were right down after 10000 miles, and I'm not heavy on brakes.

182 Spiced

in the wet you have to press the breaks twice, don't ever expect it to stop the first time, especially if you haven't breaked in the wet for a long time!

I'm talking from experience and quite a few other ppl on here. Those that have had no problems - I wish I was in your shoes.

Saying all that, if you're driving at a safe distance and speed you 'should be fine'...