ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Braking while slowing down - judering

04 172 FF
Morning

I have searched many threads regarding this problem but wanted a second opinion.

My clio 172 is playing up when i'm braking to a stand still, ie - red lights, junctions etc. It feels like the abs is cutting in and i get judering through the brake pedal. I do have a problem with my electrics as the air bag light is playing up when the driver seat is moved. Sometimes the Traction control light comes on while driving.

Its been happening for a while but now its getting increasily worse therefire I have booked it in for a check up on Thursday.

From some of the posts i read, it appears to be a potential problem with drive shaft or ABS sensor.

Yesterday I pumped up my tyres as the pressures were really low. Since then the ABS light has turned off and the judering has reduced, almost dissapeared. (airbag light is still on)

Now i'm really confused, would low tyre pressures cause the issue, do you think its down to a faulty sensor or am i looking at a new drive shaft?

Any help/advice would be great as I don't want my pants pulled down by the garage on Thursday.

Thanks in advance

CB600FS
Faulty ABS sensor or ABS receiver ring, you don't have to buy a new shaft you can get the rings on there own, Renault will try and sell you a shaft though.

If your keen get the car jacked up and take the wheels off, look for owt obvious, ie ring cracked/covered in rust, front or rear, rubbed through sensor (can rub through when they come out the clips) etc etc.

ValverInBits
I had this on my Mk1 valver which has no ABS. turned out to be the bottom ball joints were worn.

on an 04 172 i wouldnt think they are gone yet.

If it feels like the abs is cutting in, then it probably is

Dodgy one
Yesterday I pumped up my tyres as the pressures were really low. Since then the ABS light has turned off and the judering has reduced, almost dissapeared. (airbag light is still on)

^^

Why i suggested disks, almost dissapeared but still there :rasp:

04 172 FF
ABS Reciever Ring does need replacing but the garage have tried 4 parts suppliers and none of them supply the rings on their own and can only supply the whole drive shaft. :(

Does anyone know of a supplier that just supplies the rings?

04 172 FF
FYI:

Renault and suppliers can not supply ABS receiver rings for 172s - drive shaft only.

Most places can supply the rings for a standard clio but not the 172.