ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brand new tie rod- premature failure??

172DD Cup
i picked up a new tie rod yesterday and i found its fairly easy to move the ball joint around in my hand. past experience with tie rods tells me its nearly impossible to move a new ball joint by hand. nothing to worry about or looking at premature failure if i fit it?

AB 182
I've got two new ones sitting on my desk ready to put on, I've just moved the ball joint around and both are really stiff to move but i can still move it round with my hand. If in doubt take it back to wherever you got it, to do a comparison.

172DD Cup
you reminded me i've got a couple of clio 1.2,1.4,etc tie rods in the shed that are new. on those i can't even move the ball joint.
i've been playing with the new one again and it feels uneven when you move the joint around, the level of resistance changes as you move it around.
it's special order so they won't have another one, although no reason why they can't compare it with other tie rods. just gotta hope they haven't got more crap ones.

AB 182
Are the tie rods on the 1*2 specific or generic? I'd maybe try the ones for a 1.2 (If they fit) since you can't move them, I'm probably talking nonsense though :eek:

172DD Cup
1.2 ones are too short. i picked up another pattern tie rod and it's nice and tight. we'll see how good it is in 6 months time, but these pattern parts are built to a real budget

172DD Cup
fred- i was hoping you would chime in on my "leaking after 1 month pas sensor" thread. i got a new genuine renault pas sensor from a shop seller on ebay, it's leaking a little from inside after a month. normal or faulty?

Lionel Richie
i hate ebay dude, if you'd got that from a dealer you could possibly get them to sort it on warranty

did you just chuck it on or PTFE it?

172DD Cup
i'm sure i could get it changed or refunded, if it's fubar'd. no ptfe. it's leaking from the inside, you can only see the leak when you pull the plug- would ptfe have any effect on this?

172DD Cup
yeah my old one was like that which is why i replaced it. i'm sure i heard that once they start leaking, if they're not changed out they eventually kill the pump, and i just fitted a new (rebuilt) pump!