ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Breaking in a new 182

Any of you guys know if Renault recommend limiting the revs you use on a new 182 for the first (say) 50miles?

If so, how far? I dont know if Ill be able to restrain myself on March 1st:)

Thanks

fat 182

625 miles no faster than 80mph or higher than 3000-3500 rpm

did that in the first two days i had it :D

[Edited by dazraffan on 04 February 2005 at 1:04pm]

Ziel Nurburgring

Officially its 625miles no higher than 3500k.

Most people agree, including clued up engineers suggest you should vary the rpm and load the engine to bed it in. Id say as long as your not bouncing off the limiter in every gear, a bit of hard driving wont do it any harm.

fat 182

ive got a friend who works a the engine test bed at Lotus

and he old me to keep the revs down for as long as posible

but do vary them but no to high

hes got a great job runs exiges and eleses to destuction how much fun is that

Clio 172 (flame red)

I seem to remember someone telling me that cars built 20 or 30 years ago needed to be driven careful for a set number of miles partly to run it in but also because the engineering tolerences and built quality wasnt so good, if something went wrong at least it would do it a lower speed and "hopefully" not cause such a mess.

I agree with previous comments , though that as long as you dont thrash the nadgers off of it and dont make it labour.... i.e. going up a hill in 4th at 20mph.....then it should be ok. Conversly if you have a diesel you are supposed to make it labour as soon as you get it..... interesting!!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

Just be sensible with it, Id say. Let the oil warm up - dont bounce it off the rev limiter and just take it easy. I must admit though, a few days after I got it, I blatted it onto the motorway and grinned from ear to ear with the power from 4,500rpm+ - very intoxicating!