ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brembo brake issues

Carbonraider

ClioSport Club Member
  Raider, 172, the van
Now then..

A few people have said to me that they have had issues were they have pressed the brake and there has been nothing or very little effort in braking. Now I thought surely this can't be as both cars are near brand new so should not suffer from seized calliper etc.

Until the other day I was having a bit of fun along a duel carriage way with a member of the public shall we say and on approach to the roundabout I stamped on the pedal changed down a few gears and nothing happened I tried pumping the pedal which thankfully slowed me down enough to cut the roundabout. Now before we all jump on the wagon I was not exceeding the speed limit and had adequate distance for braking.

Car is going to Renault to have it looked at just wondering if anyone has had this problem.

E92 325D
I find mine shite on the 200. Renault have checked them numerous times and say they are fine. The courtesy cars i get when they are doing the work brake better.

Lotus Elise
How many times prior the incident had you used the brakes?

No real issues reported with the callipers, they have been used on RS since 2004.

Carbonraider

ClioSport Club Member
  Raider, 172, the van
I find mine shite on the 200. Renault have checked them numerous times and say they are fine. The courtesy cars i get when they are doing the work brake better.

This is the first time it's happened, other than that I find the brakes really good on the 200 was a bit scared tbh the only form of braking I had was gearing and the handbrake.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
I find that the pads glaze very easily on the 200, which would cause what your reporting.

Go out & do a few hard braking sets on a clear road at a reasonable speed, then drive a little without using them to cool them down, works for me.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Was the pedal soft when you first pressed it? Pumping doesnt normally make a difference unless it is.

Pumping making a difference sounds like it was just an a case of them needing bleeding.

Either that or pad knock back and you were taking up the slack.

Carbonraider

ClioSport Club Member
  Raider, 172, the van

No real issues reported with the callipers, they have been used on RS since 2004.

I'd been using the brakes on and off for around 2-3miles and they worked on approach to the roundabout before it happened. Was a weird feeling as it felt like it locked up but there was no abs kick on the pedal.

Brakes are standard and have covered 13000 miles.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
I'd been using the brakes on and off for around 2-3miles and they worked on approach to the roundabout before it happened. Was a weird feeling as it felt like it locked up but there was no abs kick on the pedal.

Brakes are standard and have covered 13000 miles.

Lot's of light braking?

See my comment above.

Carbonraider

ClioSport Club Member
  Raider, 172, the van
Was the pedal soft when you first pressed it? Pumping doesnt normally make a difference unless it is.

Pumping making a difference sounds like it was just an a case of them needing bleeding.

Either that or pad knock back and you were taking up the slack.

Not really no chip the pedal felt okay but when I felt no force being applied and the roundabout fast approaching it was the only thing I could do to get the car to slow down as keeping my foot down wasn't doing anything.

Thanks for all the replies anyway lads

george 172,205,metro
we do a lot of work on subarus and evo's using brembo calipers and they have to be bled often and correctly,
if they are not done right, it makes a huge difference.
​might be another option to get some decent fluid in there.?

Carbonraider

ClioSport Club Member
  Raider, 172, the van
we do a lot of work on subarus and evo's using brembo calipers and they have to be bled often and correctly,
if they are not done right, it makes a huge difference.
​might be another option to get some decent fluid in there.?

Cool.. For the road il just take my time for now. When I'm ready il get it upgraded.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Not sure if I should laugh or cry @ posting your brakes dont work and then being in no rush to sort them given that a child could run into the road in front of you tomorrow!

Only on CS!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I think he means take his time as in, no speeding etc.

Child could still run out when you are going at 20mph and it be a problem if your brakes arent working first time you press them.

id be bleeding it before it turns a wheel now personally.

Carbonraider

ClioSport Club Member
  Raider, 172, the van
Not sure if I should laugh or cry @ posting your brakes dont work and then being in no rush to sort them given that a child could run into the road in front of you tomorrow!

Only on CS!

Why don't you go and have a little giggle by yourself in the corner.

Why would I want to spend £20k on a car only to go and upgrade the brakes for road use when Renault have spent a fortune on developing and ensuring the car is fit for purpose.

As for being in a rush read the first post it's booked in at Renault so don't worry the children in the street will be safe.

The reason for this thread was to get some opinions on what may of caused this 1 off and yes I appreciate people telling me to upgrade and advikaz explaining it could be due to glaze but that's all I asked for..

Only on Cs do you get people that blow things out of the water. Typical!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Im not talking about you needing to have a go at upgrading them, the standard spec should be fine, im just talking about that I think you should check they are bled correctly before you drive it again given the symptoms you are describing.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Im not talking about you needing to have a go at upgrading them, the standard spec should be fine, im just talking about that I think you should check they are bled correctly before you drive it again given the symptoms you are describing.

I have to say mate, I think you've miss-taken what chip meant, he was only advising that you have a proper look at them as from what you saids wrong with the vehicle is far from ideal.

Note: I changed my standard pads within 8k of getting my 200 as I wasn't keen on the originals for what I use my car for. I now run Brembo HP pads & Super Blue fluid & they're a vast improvement.

GTD, Lupo
On a couple of occasions i have noticed a massive amount of brake fade. Both times have been approaching roundabouts and the brakes just seem to have no effect for the first millisecond and he seems to catch you out a little.

Suzuki Jimny
Haven't noticed this in mine. Just the usual water on the discs when on the motorway in heavy rain.

Carbonraider

ClioSport Club Member
  Raider, 172, the van

That's fine I understand that but like I said it was a 1 off now I no it could happen again but since its happened I take great care in what I am doing and it seems to be fine at high and low speed. Obviously I'm not going to tackle bleeding them myself as I don't have a pressure bleeder and work commitments so the car is booked in at Renault and will be fixed ASAP.

You finished giggling now :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
You dont need a pressure bleeder mate, just someone to press the pedal and a spanner is enough if its urgent.

But only you can decide if its bad enough to need that, sounded it from your first post but not from your last, so I guess its hard for us to judge.

I personally wouldnt be driving around in a daily with brakes I had no faith in though.

Carbonraider

ClioSport Club Member
  Raider, 172, the van
On a couple of occasions i have noticed a massive amount of brake fade. Both times have been approaching roundabouts and the brakes just seem to have no effect for the first millisecond and he seems to catch you out a little.

Having doing a bit of research there is a lot of comments coming back with due to glazing as advikaz said above. I'm no brake scientist but must be due to compound/material and light braking heavy breaking.

Carbonraider

ClioSport Club Member
  Raider, 172, the van
You dont need a pressure bleeder mate, just someone to press the pedal and a spanner is enough if its urgent.

But only you can decide if its bad enough to need that, sounded it from your first post but not from your last, so I guess its hard for us to judge.

I personally wouldnt be driving around in a daily with brakes I had no faith in though.

Thanks for you input chip.. Although the pedal seems okay not spongy. Il get Renault to do a bleed for now and check pads/discs I've read up about glaze and doing research a lot of people are mentioning this 2 although a couple mentions knock back. But I would say this is due to worn pads. Correct!

Lionel Richie

did you have a brain fart sunshine?

what do we ALWAYS do to every car fitted with brembos when they come in for service?

It'll be the inner pad seized/starting to seize in the front calipers, easy to fix, remove pads and clean up the edge of the back plate with a grinder - done

Renault will put about 3 tons of copper grease on them, please don't let them do that, opper grease belongs in the 1980's

340i

what do we ALWAYS do to every car fitted with brembos when they come in for service?

It'll be the inner pad seized/starting to seize in the front calipers, easy to fix, remove pads and clean up the edge of the back plate with a grinder - done

Renault will put about 3 tons of copper grease on them, please don't let them do that, opper grease belongs in the 1980's

I was just about to post this... Quite a common issue on the RS Meganes, which use the same brake set-up.

E92 325D
Am i right in remembering that there is two bleed nipples on each caliper? Whats the method in bleeding these compared to the normal one nipple caliper?

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member

Fred, any pics showing what to remove where.....sounds like something I should do n my setup.

Cup In bits
If you have to ask where to remove material you shouldn't be touching brakes bozothenutter, it could only be the edges of pads where they slide. I found the best way to bleed them was both nipples open and two bleed bottles on, get someone to pump the pedal and only lock off nipple when fluid is bubble free going into bottles.

Mondeo TDCI 130

Agree, apart from copper grease!! Stuff of champions.............

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
If you have to ask where to remove material you shouldn't be touching brakes bozothenutter, it could only be the edges of pads where they slide. I found the best way to bleed them was both nipples open and two bleed bottles on, get someone to pump the pedal and only lock off nipple when fluid is bubble free going into bottles.

Just wanted it clarified, need to learn mate!

and I did mount the RS2, mounted and bled my own brembo's, changed rear discs and pads , mounted my milltek, changed the oil (pita with the RS2)...so am starting to know my way around the car....

it's just these little nuggets of good info that i want to learn...and sometimes clarified.

Last edited: