ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Broadband BT?

Countryman JCW
Evening All,

Looking to get BT Infinity for when I move house. I have been on their website and haven't got a clue what I'm looking at. It's going to be used for general internet browsing, spotify/Sonos music usage, and ITV/BBC/C4 players. I'd also like the BT TV so that we can use the box for pausing and recording live tv.

What do I need to go for? Any help will be appreciated

Countryman JCW
Ive found this deal which looks spot on.... is there haggling to be done, perhaps on the one off payments like connection fee etc? or are these prices all set in stone?...

Entertainment Plus + Unlimited BT Infinity 1 + Weekend Calls
12 month contract
  • FIBRE
  • PAUSE, REWIND + RECORD TV
  • NO TV ACTIVATION FEE

TV includes over
80 Freeview
channels including 12 in HD
Plus25premium channels
Broadband with up to
38Mb
speed
Totally
Unlimited
usage every month
BT Sport Pack
FREE

£22.50Δ/mth for 12 mths
+ £16.99 /mth line rental+ £35 activation fee

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
What does BT TV offer you that freeview doesn't apart from the pausing/recording TV & Sports pack free?
If there isn't any other features barring that, if you've got a newish TV you should have an external harddrive slot which you can plug one in to and record/pause TV with that.
Alternatively, buy a Freeview HD recording box for around £100.

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
You get some extra channels.

Best bet is to actually order the package online, as you usually get a sainsburys/amazon voucher as an incentive for ordering online. They cannot do this on the phone (fact, because I used to lose sales due to this when I worked for BT Residential!)

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
+1, call up! They'd be best to tailor your package and you normally get a much better deal over the phone. Once they give you a price, just say you're going to ring Sky/Virgin and see what price they can offer.
The new customer deals are set in stone. They are the same online and on the phone, bar the online sainsbury's/amazon vouchers. Trying to price-match or bargaining with them has zero point. If you was an existing customer with 3 months (or less) on your contract, it would be a different story.

I told him to call up earlier, as I was being lazy in my reply lol.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
The new customer deals are set in stone. They are the same online and on the phone, bar the online sainsbury's/amazon vouchers. Trying to price-match or bargaining with them has zero point. If you was an existing customer with 3 months (or less) on your contract, it would be a different story.

I told him to call up earlier, as I was being lazy in my reply lol.
I got a stupidly cheap deal with Sky because I told them I was going to see what Virgin could offer. Ended up £28 cheaper than they'd originally quoted. Granted this was near enough the full works/package.

Maybe it's just BT who have their prices fixed and non-negotiable.

Countryman JCW
Thanks for all the replies everyone.
The reasons i'm going for BT are because of TV package. Im buying a brand new house and also buying a New TV to go with it. If i dont get the BT TV then i have to look at getting a hard drive, but then im limited to Samsung only as id like ITV player, 4OD player etc... and Samsung are the only tv make to offer all this in their "SMART" package. So by getting BT TV i'm not limited to only buying a Samsung, and don't have to worry about buying bits and bobs to record. I also get the tv channels that BT TV offer.

I would contact Sky but i detest their pricing and general approach to customers.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Thanks for all the replies everyone.
The reasons i'm going for BT are because of TV package. Im buying a brand new house and also buying a New TV to go with it. If i dont get the BT TV then i have to look at getting a hard drive, but then im limited to Samsung only as id like ITV player, 4OD player etc... and Samsung are the only tv make to offer all this in their "SMART" package. So by getting BT TV i'm not limited to only buying a Samsung, and don't have to worry about buying bits and bobs to record. I also get the tv channels that BT TV offer.

I would contact Sky but i detest their pricing and general approach to customers.
I'm sure my LG has all of the aforementioned mate? It's a brand new one though.

Countryman JCW
If so then i stand corrected.... last time i checked it was only Samsung that had the rights. I'm going to be looking at TV's again this weekend so will double check then.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
If so then i stand corrected.... last time i checked it was only Samsung that had the rights. I'm going to be looking at TV's again this weekend so will double check then.
I could also be wrong mate. Mine is a 55" 3D Smart Curved LG, so it is all singing and dancing. I know it has Smart but unsure what is on there, I know for a fact BBC iPlayer is and Netflix etcetc.

Currys have got some awesome offers in store at the minute.

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
I got a stupidly cheap deal with Sky because I told them I was going to see what Virgin could offer. Ended up £28 cheaper than they'd originally quoted. Granted this was near enough the full works/package.

Maybe it's just BT who have their prices fixed and non-negotiable.
Or maybe the guy offered you a standard deal that offered him better commission and when he thought he was losing the sale, he offered you the package that you was still allowed from the outset that was more suited to your needs (and less to his own). Standard sales mate.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Or maybe the guy offered you a standard deal that offered him better commission and when he thought he was losing the sale, he offered you the package that you was still allowed from the outset that was more suited to your needs (and less to his own). Standard sales mate.
Then this would also work in OP's case. Obviously a company has a minimum they must charge to cover overheads and still make a profit. If he tells BT he will check with SKY or Virgin then they as well may drop down their price closer to the profit margin they require..?

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
but as I said, a package you was entitled to from the outset. So not a special deal of any kind. Remember sales people earn commission and therefore will try and suggest the dearer package that is "more suited" to your needs. But I can assure without a doubt that that no sales person on the phone will offer anything other than the standard deals that you will see advertised online.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
but as I said, a package you was entitled to from the outset. So not a special deal of any kind. Remember sales people earn commission and therefore will try and suggest the dearer package that is "more suited" to your needs. But I can assure without a doubt that that no sales person on the phone will offer anything other than the standard deals that you will see advertised online.
I can understand the logic and structure of business and sales but surely the price from the outset could be less than what they originally quote when he rings them and could then be reduced when he mentions that he is going to look at Sky packages to see what they offer?

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
hmm, depends on the person on the phone. They may offer him the cheapest deal from the outset. However as I said, the deals available on the website will be no different to what he gets offered. with the advantage of an extra voucher.