ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Broadband question

BG DCI
Hi guys,

We have just bought our new place and the different providers are hurting my head. Different quoted speeds ect.

Could some of you shed some light into what would be the best provider to go with.

No TV, just phone (which we will never use) and internet.

Postcode is SO31 6TY and looking to spend around a max of £30 / month.

I know recommendations are all going to be area dependant. Is the fibre optic with all the different providers going to ACTUALLY be any faster eg talk talk fibre.

Thanks a lot

Liam

According to BT, you're not in a fibre broadband area. I'd go with plusnet. Looking at your postcode they'll give you around 17MB download speed, unlimited broadband for £2.50 PM for 12 months. Phone line is £14.50PM or £10.99 if you pay it 12 months in advance.

So that's phone and unlimited broadband for potentially £13.49, bargain.

BG DCI
According to BT, you're not in a fibre broadband area. I'd go with plusnet. Looking at your postcode they'll give you around 17MB download speed, unlimited broadband for £2.50 PM for 12 months. Phone line is £14.50PM or £10.99 if you pay it 12 months in advance.

So that's phone and unlimited broadband for potentially £13.49, bargain.

Apparently our nearest exchange for BT, which is 100 yards from us, is taking orders for fibre optic...

Does that mean however we could get plusnets fibre?

Thanks

BG DCI
Looking at our checker here your not in a FTTC area..

Depending on who you go with TTB will offer aything upto 22.4Mb/s and BT say 19.5mb/s

As above can I get talk talk's fibre product? It just depends how close to those figures I can get though I suppose ...

FF Clio 182
Tesco got free broadband for 12 month. Just pay line rental of about £12. Had it all set up today and running 12mbps

As above can I get talk talk's fibre product? It just depends how close to those figures I can get though I suppose ...

Those speeds are estimated ADSL2+ depending on cable quality from local cabinet and hardware inside your premises.

However given that these are on the highest side of ADSL2+ then its very likely that when your local exchange and cabinet have been upgraded then you'll probably see some high FTTC speeds. I'd hazard a guess, and this is purely just a guess that you'll probably get near on 50-60mb/s

Tesla MP3 2021
You're local exchange may be FTTC ready but you're PCP (green cab) needs to be a new fibre one.

Not yet. As Adam said, it is probably enabled at the exchange, but not your cabinet. Plusnet (and BT), said that you couldn't get fibre at your address at present. You may need to wait a while before it becomes available. If you look on the websites of the providers you're thinking of, they have a line checker which tells you what service they can provide.

Apparently our nearest exchange for BT, which is 100 yards from us, is taking orders for fibre optic...

Does that mean however we could get plusnets fibre?

Thanks

BG DCI
My dad, who lives 2 roads from me and about 500 yards from our BT exchange just tested his and is getting 48mb download with just infinity.

Think I may stray that way!

If i were you i'd go plusnet, just purely for the customer service side of things..

Checked mine last night (BT infinity) 71mb/s down and 19mb/s up.

Pretty happy with that and BT but thats because ive never had to deal with their customer service, well not from a home users point of view anyway.