ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Broken Laptop Help

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
purchased a hp x360 convertible two years ago, after 10 months the screen popped out of the plastic surround. Took it back to currys and they happily sent it off to HP for a repair, 6 months after that repair the screen popped out again. contacted currys again who said its now out of warranty and the warranty on the repair is only 3 months. so they couldnt help.

the laptop is used by me only, its gets very light use. some internet browsing a few hours a day at a desk. All im doing is opening and closing the lid, which is what its designed to do, yet its broken its self. all you have to do is google it and its a very common fault on these laptops.

the screen/hinge/plastic has been getting worse and worse and now its looks like the below. i cannot close the lid, i cant see the point in repairing it as i suspect it will happen again. screen works perfect, nothing wrong with it, its a really good laptop, small, light, I5 processor, SSD etc...

whats best to do put it on ebay?

AIILq6.jpg

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Gorilla glue could be your friend, or if you don't need it then stick it on eBay as you have already suggested.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Just inside the edge, it might stop it popping out. Although the hinge looks completely shot.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Just inside the edge, it might stop it popping out. Although the hinge looks completely shot.
ill take it in the workshop this week and take a proper look.

didnt really want to spend out 500-600 on a new laptop

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
A quick Google brings up a lot of different replacement hinges and how to videos. It should be a relatively easy fix.

Google search

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
The issue is the hinge is stiff and the plastic fascia is too flimsy. Every time you open the laptop the plastic fascia/screen surround is getting weaker around the hinge.

If you were wanting to fix it then you would need to see if there is some way of taking the tension off the hinge- perhaps there is a screw on the side of the hinge that governs how loose/stiff it is. You would also need to buy a new fascia.

We had similar issue, the hinge is just too strongly sprung for the plastic surround so about 2 years in it split pretty much like yours. Given it belongs to one of the younger members of the family and will inevitably end up trashed at some point, I just got creative with a couple of mini nuts & bolts.

Not pretty but does the job

IMG_6576.jpg
IMG_6575.jpg