ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BSoD etc,.. what to do?

1998 BMW e46 323i
Have been having the old BSoD lots recently on a 3 yr old DELL laptop. Did a bit of research into the cause, and all I could find was the memory seemed to be the culprit.

I did a clean install of Windows 7 and have installed nothing but a touchpad driver and iTunes and the BSoD is still here!!!!

Do I replace the memory (I'm guessing that's the RAM sticks) or just throw the b*****d thing away and re-mortgage and buy a Mac?

Help...

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
Damn, can't really test it then. Mind you if it's a Dell they sometimes have a built in memtest.

Press F12 as soon as you boot and it should take you in to the boot menu. There might be a Memory Diagnostics option.

If not, stop being a cheapskate and fork out for some new RAM, cheap as chips.

1998 BMW e46 323i
I don't mind buying some RAM, just wasn't sure if it would a) fix the problem and b) be worth spending money on.

Thanks for the help BTW.

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
I'm assuming he can't get past the boot stage, if he's only got 1 stick no way to test it, unless as I said Dell have it built in.

1998 BMW e46 323i
Pressed f12 and am doing a diagnostic pre-boot system assessment build memory test jobbie. It passed the short test, now doing the full test. I've burnt that memory test to a cd before and run it without it finding a problem... Shall I just buy new ram anyway?

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
Uninstall it, try the Dell website for a later one. Your BSOD is a driver performing an illegal operation, you say it happened after installing the touchpad driver, so that's most likely it.

Evo 5 RS
if it were that last known good configuration usually sorts it on F8.

Although tbh IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL usually relates to hardware failure memory/cpu related

what memory is it Jon? I've got a bag full of sticks laying around

Evo 5 RS
Usually works here

If it won't boot at all, it triggers HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet and reverts back. That's if it were the driver

LKG is overwritten after you logon. If you install a new driver and it doesn't boot it shoudl work. If you install new driver, logon and then LKG probably won't work.

Orly? It'll either be faulty ram or an IRQ conflict with his touchpad
Yep really, If you are interested its usually because something has corrupted kernel memory causing bad memory pointers. When those invalid pointers are referenced a page fault occurs as the system sees that as memory as invalid and thinks it need to page it in. As page faults can only be serviced at IRQL 0 or 1 any request to do this at a higher IRQL results in the STOP hes seeing.

Believe me, bad drivers cause this to happen more than hardware.

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
So I'll enter safe mode and do a system restore... Will this wipe my hard drive again?

No mate, it won't affect any files or folders. Just restore your machine to before you installed that driver. It will reboot itself.

That is...if you have SR enabled!

1998 BMW e46 323i
I tried safe mode and restore, downgrading and updating driver etc. Deleting and updating from dell's site too. God knows what I've done. I appreciate the help tho. Thanks.

1998 BMW e46 323i
OKAY OKAY: Spoke too soon. Had me a nice BSoD again, was a *** STOP 0x00000019 or something like that.

HELP! It's doing my nut in now.

1998 BMW e46 323i

This is the memory stick, front and back mate...

Okay, iFAIL.

This is a link to the pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7903166@N03/4856941880/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7903166@N03/4856323999/

Last edited: