ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BT Ho' Hub question

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Hi folks,

Just had by BT home hub delivered, and I'm all set up with wireless.
However, I have a 160Gb external hard drive that I use for MP3's etc, and was told there's a way to connect this to the USB port on the home hub, and then access the files on the hard drive wirelessly.

This would be really useful, as my fiancee would like to have access to them as well. I know it's not a lot of work to plug the hard drive into my lap top, but I'm lazy, and think it would be cool to have wireless music in the house!

I've plugged the hard drive into the hub, but cant seem to find it.
How do I go about setting this up???
Anyone managed it??

Matt

Last edited:
  Abarth 500
the only way to do this is i think, it need to be NAT drive, Network Adapter Drive or summat, i got one on my desk in work plugged into the hub, i dont think u can do this with just a normal external hard drive

A4 Avant
So you can get an adaptor that allows an external usb drive to plug into an ethernet port on a hub/router? Do you know whats its called or have a link?

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
i have one too, its still in the box and ive never bothered to set it up, had a wireless router from day one

A4 Avant
My Ho' Hub is rubbish. it keeps dropping the connection. Returned to using my trusty netgear wireless router.

Audi TT 225
Had nothing but problems with my hub... well Im on my 2nd one now which seems to work... but the phones nackered now so need to call the indians again.
If your hubs dropping the connection make sure its not actually resetting its self cuz thats what mine was doing every few minutes.
Never tried plugging anything like this into one tho, happy just to get on the net with it most days lol

Munday

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182, 1275GT, C220
My hub seems to stay connected for about 4 days and then drops. I then have to switch it off and back on again for it to work and assign IP addresses again.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
I thought about plugging it into my computer, which is how i currently access it. However, my laptop is a company laptop, so I have to take it to work with me every day, then bring it home agin in the evenings. Same with my fiancee's lap top.

For neatness of installation, I'd like to have the hard drive hidden away somewhere so I don't have to keep plugging and unplugging it.

I looked at buying a cheap desktop and turning it into a media server, but then read on the internet that the hub might do the job instead.......

Lazy I know, but just thought it would be cool to have.