ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BT Infinity

DCi
Can any BT infinity users give me some information please?

If I upgrade from standard broadband to infinity I assume all they do in my house is change the socket (and router) - I rent and have to let the landlord know if they do anything substantial but if that's it then I'll crack on

Lou

ClioSport Club Member
  182 & 595
All I had done was a new faceplate installed on the master socket and a new homehub.

DCi
I knew it was FTTC but they made me book an engineer visit as I placed the order.

Maybe they will swap the socket I dunno

Arctic Blue 182
I've had two installs of infinity now and both times the engineer came out to sync the router and change the wall socket.

I rent to and didn't bother telling the LL and had no issues

SQ5
Yeah I couldn't remember who you were with.

We are looking to change ours because sky is s**t.
aucky is this the one you were telling me about?

What's your problem with sky out of interest?

BT are the worst company to deal with on the phone, yet engineers are nearly all the nicest and most helpful engineers you'll find.

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
^^ not strictly true.. on a side note if anyone wants BT Business Infinity then let me know, good rates PM me ;)

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
What's your problem with sky out of interest?

BT are the worst company to deal with on the phone, yet engineers are nearly all the nicest and most helpful engineers you'll find.

That's the difference between BT Retail and Openreach tbh (although Openreach have their fair share of terrible engineers but they are getting better)

banther

ClioSport Club Member
As above - we've only just been able to get fibre optic and are now with BT Infinity.

Chap came round, simply whipped off the old face plate and put on a new one. Then went round to the exchange, had a fiddle and came back.

Easy.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Yeah I couldn't remember who you were with.

We are looking to change ours because sky is s**t.
@aucky is this the one you were telling me about?

Your problem will either be in your house or between your house & the exchange.

Moving to another supplier may not cure your problem.

I had a six month battle with the muppets at BT.

After they rewired my house which I knew was not the problem, they finally found a fault between me & the exchange.

They then refunded my £300 that I told them I did not need to spend, I then got a year free full monty package as a good will gesture, muppets!

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
cookie lives literally half a mile from me and the difference in our broadband is night and day.

I've been reading up on the sky router I've got and it's s**t apparently. Even with a wired connection it's pants. Apparently there's an updated router out now so I'll try and get one for free and see if makes any difference,

SQ5
There is the old one shaped like a Mini Sky box, which drops the connection for fun, the white square one which quickly got stopped as was s**t, then the new black one which is all good.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Yeah I've got the white one. Had it about 18 months or so. It's shocking. If sky won't give me a free one I'll f**k off to another supplier.

Corsa Van. Meh.
cookie lives literally half a mile from me and the difference in our broadband is night and day.

I've been reading up on the sky router I've got and it's s**t apparently. Even with a wired connection it's pants. Apparently there's an updated router out now so I'll try and get one for free and see if makes any difference,

We're on sky and find it a decent service and we're just round the corner.

I've just got BT Infinity.

I was fed up of Sky. Was getting 2 to 3mbs download with Sky. New router only, and with BT Im now getting 40mbs!

Chuffed to bits with it, and its only £2 per month more than Sky for the first 12 months! :)

Buy a decent router, even the BT HomeHub is shite!

We were on the Homehub 3 (iirc) around 2 years ago, kept losing DNS even if we used Googles, and then allowed no more HTTP connections. We moved to an Asus router and had no issues since. Though, we did move recently, and gave the new HH4 (i think?) a go, and that was equally as bad at dropping connections and losing the ability to contact it's DNS servers.

SQ5
BT have some strange DNS settings, had an issue the other day with one messing it around when trying to use googles. Kept forcing its own to be used on a windows machine.

Arctic Blue 182
I set a static connection from my machines to the hub. Never had any issues apart from opening ports on the router but got it to work eventually.

Also the wifi channel scanning thing is s**t. It's meant to constantly scan and choose the best channel. Found setting it to one channel works the best. Ran speed tests on each channel to find the best. This was a hh3 I think.

Moving house this week and they are sending me the latest one which I hope is a little slicker.

SQ5
There are two types of HH2 and HH3, type A and B. Port forwarding never works, or it's very difficult for it to work on Type A.

The wifi scanning thing is s**t, we always keep a set channel, especially when running multiple WAPs.

BT have some strange DNS settings, had an issue the other day with one messing it around when trying to use googles. Kept forcing its own to be used on a windows machine.

Yep, even when I set the DNS to be Googles on the machine (we couldn't do it on the router), we STILL had issues with HTTP (port 80) connections just failing!

Really bizzare router.

Now with Asus we have 0 problems, even running custom firmware :].

DCi
Buy a decent router, even the BT HomeHub is shite!

We were on the Homehub 3 (iirc) around 2 years ago, kept losing DNS even if we used Googles, and then allowed no more HTTP connections. We moved to an Asus router and had no issues since. Though, we did move recently, and gave the new HH4 (i think?) a go, and that was equally as bad at dropping connections and losing the ability to contact it's DNS servers.

I'm on my 2nd home hub 4 in 6 months.

The first one went pop about a month ago and wouldn't switch on anymore.

I wonder if I will get a new router on Saturday

Our Infinity was hanging around 0.5mb DL for ages recently (if it worked at all), I think possibly since adding a Synology NAS. Got fed up with the useless BT Customer Service and just bought an AirPort Extreme after doing a bit of research...the difference is unreal, gutted I didn't get one earlier now.

Reach is probably getting on for double the distance of the Home Hub, and the Internet has been appreciably quicker (everything is wireless here, Mac Mini, XBox, 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, Apple TV etc), confirmed by Speedtests on various devices, and more importantly it's rock solid stable and consistent with no drop outs noted yet, 35mb is average now rather than an occasional exception to the rule.

Are Home Hubs just that bad or did I have a dodgy one? Admittedly £150 was a lot to spend but considering we have a newborn and the wife is putting photos straight onto the NAS for me to see every day, I just could not cope with a crappy connection and rebooting the HH at least 3 times per day.