ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BTB fit 182 cat onto my 172

Sprint 172
After having the BTB stealth system fitted last year, I wanted to fit a sports cat to make the exhaust as free-flowing as possible. A aftermarket sports cat was an option, but I've read plenty on this forum about problems with emissions and MOTs and didn't want to take the risk. BTB said that aftermarket sports cats can have inconsistent or not enough amounts of precious metal to clean up emissions - a cost cutting measure.

With the help of BTB we came up with a plan to use a standard Clio 182 cat and fit it onto my 172. The Clio 182 cat is actually a very good 200 cell sports cat that uses a metallic substrate (not cheaper ceramic). In fact it's arguably the major player in giving the 182 more power than the 172.

I bought a second hand 182 cat off Carlos Fandango on here (thanks Jonathan) and gave it to BTB. The first thing they did was to improve the 182 cat by removing the restriction at the exit. This restriction was deliberate by the manufacturer to help the cat retain heat and reduce noise - but I think I can get away without that!

P1040099.jpg

P1040100.jpg

I dropped my car off to them and they made a new downpipe from the manifold and welded it to the 182 cat, adding the pre-cat lambda thread and a flange to connect it to the system. Looks very impressive I think.

BTB_downpipe.jpg

How does it drive? It certainly feels different. Much smoother from low rpm and throttle response seems much improved. Only a dyno test will show the differences, but the signs are very, very good.

I realise that a de-cat would probably make a couple more bhp. But this option wasn't for me. I wanted a fit and forget performance cat that fits perfectly, doesn't illuminate any dashboard lights, passes the MOT and looks as OE as possible - you can even see the Renault part number! I think the BTB conversion ticks these boxes.

No prices available I'm afraid, this is a development product. If there is enough interest BTB will work out a price where you supply a reasonable condition 182 cat and they send it back ready to fit - looks like it could be far cheaper than a sports cat.

I'll add fitted pictures when they have been sent to me. Hope it's of interest.

Sprint 172
It's not just the quality of their work that always impresses me, but also the enthusiasm. At one end of the factory they are producing exhausts for the Noble M300 and Hennessey Venom, the other end there's a historic Ferrari Dino racer on the ramp worth millions and in the middle is my Clio which they are just as enthusiastic about!

Anyway, before picture
P1040111.jpg

After picture
Clio172-182cat007.jpg

Not the best pics - but I don't go to them for their photography skills!

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Saw the jig for this yesterday when I was there for a fit up, thought that was a really good idea.

Pics look awesome, surgical build quality! :cool:

b/g 182, meg tourer
that looks a very neat job!
its pretty much what i have done to my 182 cat :) i have done away with the centre silencer too. sounds and drives great.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Like the look of this, what are there stealth systems like?

Very good, i'm planning on putting a quick thread up with some images for the one i had fitted at their workshop recently. will drop you the link once its up mate.

182 cup
Took about 4 hours to fit from driving in to driving out.

Got away with my fitting kit as i only had one a few months ago so they used that.

Was a very good price for what you get in terms of quality and gains

Sprint 172
For information - BTB have confirmed the price for the 182 cat conversion at £170 + VAT. Price based on you supplying a usable 182 cat. Price is supply only and doesn't include fitting kit or return carriage.

ClioSport 172 Cup
Would they modify the 182 cat ive just won off ebay to fit between the 182 mani and my magnex stainless system on my 172 cup?? Also is it best to remove the centre baffle altogether if im doing these changes??

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
This is ace work by BTB.

Guess it's not readily available ie. bespoke / on order only.

If you can get your hands on a 182 cat then they should be able to sort one out for you fairly easy. They did for me and the turn around was about a week iirc.

Golf GTD Mk7
Looking nice mate. Love Joes handy work. Not that i'm biased :D Did you clean up the cat or was it relatively new?

I'd imagine 182 CAT prices will increase ;)