ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Budget-ish Tyres?

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
So the golf derv needs four new tyres ideally. Now being used up and down the motorway I don't need premium tyres but by the same gesture, I don't want ditch finders with excessive road noise. I've found a set of Rainsport 3's for £241.00 (225/40/18) and I'll get my mate to fit them for £20.
I know they are soft though so likely to wear fast. Anything else I should consider?

330i. E30 Touring.
I'd rather buy part worn Premiums than brand new mid range TBH.

PS3's with 5-6mm on ebay are £200 or so..

BMW M4; S1000 RR
If it's just motorway mileage in a car you're never going to be 'playing' with then get a tyre that'll make your journeys better (i.e. less road noise). I've read Eagle F1s are meant to be good for that.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
If it's just motorway mileage in a car you're never going to be 'playing' with then get a tyre that'll make your journeys better (i.e. less road noise). I've read Eagle F1s are meant to be good for that.
How much are you looking to spend?

Vredestein Vorti's are good for the money. Around £75 a tyre in your size.
Good year eagle F1s?
Don't mind paying £300.00. Seem's F1's are in this budget.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
My brother uses the Vredestein's on his Megane 225 on road and track, no problem.

They are very good in the wet, we did a soaking wet day at Oulton last November and nothing overtook us all day!

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I'm just about to order some Eagle F1's from blackcircles for £365 fitted. Is there anywhere else I should consider before committing?
Camskill is about £80.00 a tyre but then I've still got to get them fitted. (£30.00) so for £15.00 I'd pay for the convenience of rocking up and them being fitted.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Personally I prefer Rainsports as they really are quite excellent when it starts chucking it down.

They've served me well on motorway trips, especially at times when it starts chucking it down and some total mongoloid slams their anchors on in front of you.
That and occasional standing water, they deal with that really well too.

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
F1 ASY3 are much better than rainsport 3's. I switched from RS3 to F1 on my last car and it transformed the handling of the car.

I had a very bad experience with f1's from blackcircles where they fell apart on the outer edge after 2k miles of normal road driving, got replacements after a lot of toing and froing with blackcircles/Goodyear and the replacements where also naff (same manufacturing date) so binned them after 5k miles as they where shot to.... The RS3's are great for motorway driving on a non performance car and are better in the wet, plus they're more comfortable on the move. I wouldn't use anything else on a non performance commute car now TBH, oh and in 6k miles have worn less than 2mm.

That's my real world experience with both tyres, albeit the f1's where on my MPS and the RS3's are on my ST155 but both cars are similar in weight and supposedly share the same chassis.

mk1 Octavia VRS
I've got Eagle F1 AS2s on my Skoda, put on my second set quite recently as I had about 30k miles out of the first set (swapped round a few times) and the grip was brilliant wet or dry and they are pretty quiet too. Efficient grips are also good but not sure if they're available in your size and what the price difference might be.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I've got Eagle F1 AS2s on my Skoda, put on my second set quite recently as I had about 30k miles out of the first set (swapped round a few times) and the grip was brilliant wet or dry and they are pretty quiet too. Efficient grips are also good but not sure if they're available in your size and what the price difference might be.
Efficient grips are available and about £30.00 cheaper for the set. I've read the sidewall is made of jelly and for the additional, F1's are better? Might do some more reading.

I had a very bad experience with f1's from blackcircles where they fell apart on the outer edge after 2k miles of normal road driving, got replacements after a lot of toing and froing with blackcircles/Goodyear and the replacements where also naff (same manufacturing date) so binned them after 5k miles as they where shot to.... The RS3's are great for motorway driving on a non performance car and are better in the wet, plus they're more comfortable on the move. I wouldn't use anything else on a non performance commute car now TBH, oh and in 6k miles have worn less than 2mm.

That's my real world experience with both tyres, albeit the f1's where on my MPS and the RS3's are on my ST155 but both cars are similar in weight and supposedly share the same chassis.
Hmm that's a bit odd isn't it. See I've read RS3's are very soft and quick wearing..

I had the effecientgrip performance on my old heavy remapped S60 D5 and they where great, bit soft but so are the f1's and they worn well.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Hmm that's a bit odd isn't it. See I've read RS3's are very soft and quick wearing..

They are quite soft so bump the tyre pressure up 10-15% to compensate.
You'd probably find the people who had issues with them set the tyres at 30psi, then overtime they went down to 25 or lower and scrubbed themselves to s**t.

RS3's are pretty decent in winter (for a relatively cheap tyre), probably because they're a touch soft to begin with.

They are quite soft so bump the tyre pressure up 10-15% to compensate.
You'd probably find the people who had issues with them set the tyres at 30psi, then overtime they went down to 25 or lower and scrubbed themselves to s**t.

RS3's are pretty decent in winter (for a relatively cheap tyre), probably because they're a touch soft to begin with.
Good shout, mine are 225/40/18 on the mondy and I put 40psi in and they're fine, could even take more TBH.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Well in true CS style I didn't take any of your advice. (Sorry)

I went for Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance for £325.00 for the set. Worked out pretty much the same cost as RS3's. They have A wet rating, low DB and super fuel efficient. MPG has risen around 4 already compared to the super Triangle and Sunny tyre combo we had going on. Which couldn't be hard being the worse tyres in the world and made from plastic. First impressions is great. People say they side walls are a bit soft but I cant remember the last time I pushed this car around a corner tbh.

Thanks for the advice anyway!

Well in true CS style I didn't take any of your advice. (Sorry)

I went for Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance for £325.00 for the set. Worked out pretty much the same cost as RS3's. They have A wet rating, low DB and super fuel efficient. MPG has risen around 4 already compared to the super Triangle and Sunny tyre combo we had going on. Which couldn't be hard being the worse tyres in the world and made from plastic. First impressions is great. People say they side walls are a bit soft but I cant remember the last time I pushed this car around a corner tbh.

Thanks for the advice anyway!
Good choice, as above had them on my old D5 and was more than happy with them, and they wear very well.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Good choice, as above had them on my old D5 and was more than happy with them, and they wear very well.
They seem great to be honest. I don't think I'd put them on a performance car, you'd be better off paying for F1's but for this they're perfect so far.