ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

budget tyres

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
It's all subjective, but IMO yes you would, because it's the only point of contact your car has with the road.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Yes, tyres are one of the factors that makes these cars.

Look at any of the following, premium brands are Pirelli, Michelin, Continental, Dunlop, Vredestein. Then the mid range is sort of Yokohama, Falken, Hankook.

Most popular on here seems to be Pirelli Pzero Neros, Michelin PS3s, Conti Sport Contacts and if your on a bit of a tighter budget, Hankook V12s, Falken FK453s.

iLikeDuplo

ClioSport Club Member
  Willi/182Cup/265Cup
IMO Michelin PS3's are hands down the best for my 182. Anything's better than the 'Arrowspeed' ones that were on it when I bought her - pure understeer and no braking. I use the Toyo tr1 proxes on my Williams and they're an incredible dry weather tyre but pretty poor in the damp and beyond.

Edit: I would never put cheap tyres on the car, it's one of the few parts where spending more is worth it both in enjoyability and safety.

Last edited:

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Do you mean Barum? As said above, it's the only thing that connects you to the road, so skimping is a no no in my book.

If you do mean Barum, then although they are made by Continental, in the same factory I believe, they use a different compound, and they're pap in the wet by all accounts.

A budget tyre is a budget tyre. Doesn't matter who makes it.

Last edited:

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Uniroyal Rainsport 2s are a good budget tyre, they're around £45 each and are bloody good tbh,
just don't expect them to last very long on dry days as energetic driving will rip them to shreds.

I've got Federal 595s on the front of mine atm, (the normal ones not the semi slicks)
and they're quite good as long as they've got some heat in them. (£55 each)

I've also got Kumho KH31s on the back, they were around £40 each,
back end hasn't stepped out yet, they've been on for two years and still have a hell of a lot of tread left.

So you can get good budgets if you know what to buy.

Titanium 182
I've just put some Hankook Ventus Prime 2's on my fronts as they were badly worn (and mismatched!) I know they've not got the performance of the V12s, but they seem to be better in the wet and have had decent reviews.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
I agree Dave, I didn't say Budgets were bad, I said they were budgets :) Rainsports, Kumho's etc are good examples of budgets that can do the job of what a tyre is supposed to do. Barums have a bad wet tyre reputation.

OP - largely depends on what you use the tyre for. Enthusiastic driving with trackdays, then I wouldn't go budget. Pottering around doing 5k miles to the shops and back, then I'd lean more to budgets.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
I wouldn't even bother with budgets though when the likes of Uniroyal Rainsport 2s, Falken can be had for so little money.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
I'm thinking of going with the toyo tr1, i have a mate who swears by them

Very very soft compound, your 172 will eat them on a warm day,
a mate of mine put them on his 182 daily and they were f*cked within a month,
and he's a family man that doesn't drive like tit, just the occasional blast.

Sorry, to clarify, when I say budget, I mean Rainsports / falkens / Kumho's. Wingding Ditchfinder 3000's don't even find there way onto the budget part of the list ;)

Same here, Lichelin or Pillelis from China don't even register as tyres for me. lol

107 Track Car & C4
I have got Toyo T1R's, find them pretty good in all conditions. Haven't noticed them wearing quickly like some are saying, had them on a year now too.

The person who said there mate had some and they were ruined after a month, have got something seriously wrong with there car or driving style..

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
I have got Toyo T1R's, find them pretty good in all conditions. Haven't noticed them wearing quickly like some are saying, had them on a year now too.

The person who said there mate had some and they were ruined after a month, have got something seriously wrong with there car or driving style..

Nothing wrong with his car as he's a mechanic, although he may have played down his driving style to me. lol
I'm just telling you what he told me.

I liked my RS2s, but I won't use them again unless it's winter,
dry weather destroyed them on my car.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159

Nope, ive seen a few sets wrecked within a week. Very soft tyres.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I don't really rate T1r's I eat a set in about 6k on a vtr so a 172 would eat them.

Hankook V12 get my vote for cheap but cheerful tyre and there good most the year round too.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Hankook V12 get my vote for cheap but cheerful tyre and there good most the year round too.

I think if your on a budget/don't want to spend massive amounts you won't get much of a better tyre than these, or Uniroyal RS2 etc but its horses for courses etc.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Still can't get my head around the mentality of buying a hot hatch renowned for excellent handling and then buying ditchfinder tyres for it...

Plenty do it, same with any performance car. People see the prices and don't like what they see.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
f**k putting slippers on a 172.

I'm running Falken ZE192's at the moment and i'm very impressed so far. Maybe not as good as RS'2s but good all the same!

Iceberg 172
Dont get budgets, im a new cliosport owner and budget caused me to get oversteer (Rainsports at the front and Wanli 'budget' at the rear) i have all four corners on rainsports now and the cars is balanced and handles how its suppose to.

iLikeDuplo

ClioSport Club Member
  Willi/182Cup/265Cup

Had them on my Williams and they were incredibly but did die fast in the hot and dry - I would recommend them but don't expect to get more than about 7k out of a pair of fronts (on a williams anyway) and they were pretty tat in the wet.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
Also I think we need to make a distinction between 'Budget' and 'Ditchfinders',
'Budget' in my book means a known brand with good reviews for £45-£60 each,
'Ditchfinder' means no name sh*t tyres with zero grip for under £45 quid.

There's a massive difference between the two, just because a tyre's £45 doesn't mean it's sh*t.

iLikeDuplo

ClioSport Club Member
  Willi/182Cup/265Cup
Dont get budgets, im a new cliosport owner and budget caused me to get oversteer (Rainsports at the front and Wanli 'budget' at the rear) i have all four corners on rainsports now and the cars is balanced and handles how its suppose to.

I had the opposite - when I got mine it had Arrowspeeds (still the only time i've heard of them) on the front and Michelin PE's on the rear... monumental understeer at anything over 25 mph so put some ps3's on the front and just fitted my second set on the front after 18k and the PE's are still going strong. Love me some michelin.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
I've had Falken 453 on my 328 and they are fine.

I had some Vredesteins on my mk5 Gti were terrible.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Also I think we need to make a distinction between 'Budget' and 'Ditchfinders',
'Budget' in my book means a known brand with good reviews for £45-£60 each,
'Ditchfinder' means no name sh*t tyres with zero grip for under £45 quid.

There's a massive difference between the two, just because a tyre's £45 doesn't mean it's sh*t.

It pretty much does.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
I've had Falken 453 on my 328 and they are fine.

I had some Vredesteins on my mk5 Gti they were terrible.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
Please find me some non-**** £45 tyres for my 182 then please as that sounds ideal.

I've never looked for 205s, I only buy 195/45/16s same as the OP,
which means for £45-£60, he'll get a good tyre for his car.

If I had 205s i'd be looking to spend £60 and above.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
I've never looked for 205s, I only buy 195/45/16s same as the OP,
which means for £45-£60, he'll get a good tyre for his car.

If I had 205s i'd be looking to spend £60 and above.

if it was 205's I would be looking to spend double (for a fitted price). I think we'll have to disagree on what a 'good' tyre is.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
So you wouldn't spend less that £120 a corner?

I used to be like that, only buying the most expensive tyres I could find,
then from talking to people on here I realised I could get good tyres for far less.

Don't get me wrong if you're happy spending that then that's fine mate, it's your car and your peace of mind,
I just know from experience that not all 'cheap' tyres are crap.

I've never lost control of my car on cheaper tyres, or felt I was lacking grip or performance.

But hey, a forums all about opinions, you have yours and I have mine, which is fair enough. :)

(Saying that the 595s i'm currently using cost £60 a corner)

Last edited:

iLikeDuplo

ClioSport Club Member
  Willi/182Cup/265Cup
if it was 205's I would be looking to spend double (for a fitted price). I think we'll have to disagree on what a 'good' tyre is.

I'm shelling out about £135 a corner fitted with PS3's... am I getting shafted?