ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Will I be able to break the bead on a car tyre?

Cads

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, Merc C180 Est
The wife’s Gashquai has always had slow punctures but after a new set of tyres two still lose air pretty quickly.
The alloys are shagged and I’m guessing not making a seal. If this is the case, will I be able to deflate the tyre and get to the rim to clean and apply some tyre seal before re inflating??
Or should I just set fire to the car??

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
There are manual tools and back in the day you could beat off an 80 profile tyre..

But no. You'll never do it with a modern tyre without making it worse

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
The wife’s Gashquai has always had slow punctures but after a new set of tyres two still lose air pretty quickly.
The alloys are shagged and I’m guessing not making a seal. If this is the case, will I be able to deflate the tyre and get to the rim to clean and apply some tyre seal before re inflating??
Or should I just set fire to the car??
Honestly for any tyre shop this is their bread and butter. They’ll probably take a tenner for it. 10 mins work for them and it’ll be sorted

Cads

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, Merc C180 Est
Ok, that’s what I was after. It’s been to a tyre place who have resealed and it lasts a while but ultimately the tyres start losing air again.
I just wondered if I could access the rim myself and properly take some time running back any flaking or chipped paint etc.
I’ll set fire to it.

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
When the bead is corroded, they normally spin a wire wheel around to knock off all the crusty paint and slap some bead sealer on like you said they have.

If they're still leaking, it might be time to strip and paint the bead properly (at home) or have them powder coated.

It can get a bit boring chasing the corrosion leaks and they can ruin a £80-150 tyre.

Another reason I got myself a tyre machine at home. I was p1ssing away some much time and money down the tyre shop with my wheel fetish.

£40 for 2 loose tyres on broke me.

Per hour they started to want main dealer money.. Nope.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
When the bead is corroded, they normally spin a wire wheel around to knock off all the crusty paint and slap some bead sealer on like you said they have.

If they're still leaking, it might be time to strip and paint the bead properly (at home) or have them powder coated.

It can get a bit boring chasing the corrosion leaks and they can ruin a £80-150 tyre.

Another reason I got myself a tyre machine at home. I was p1ssing away some much time and money down the tyre shop with my wheel fetish.

£40 for 2 loose tyres on broke me.

Per hour they started to want main dealer money.. Nope.
Bloody hell a tyre machine at home 🤣

How much did it cost you?

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
Bloody hell a tyre machine at home 🤣

How much did it cost you?
Automotech £1250 with a balancer, but you need a compressor also, which I had.

Then some lever bars, valves, valve puller, weights etc.

I've done tons of tyre swapping for myself, then 4 new on mine, a new spare on mine, 4 new on my old dears, 4 new on my uncles, 4 new on my aunties, 4 on extended fams, 4 for next door, another for a damaged tyre next door. It's saved us loads.. I refuse payment from the family because I'm great.

I've done more, but those I charged a few quid on them.

It's paid for itself.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

I've done tons of tyre swapping for myself, then 4 new on mine, a new spare on mine, 4 new on my old dears, 4 new on my uncles, 4 new on my aunties, 4 on extended fams, 4 for next door, another for a damaged tyre next door. It's saved us loads.. I refuse payment from the family because I'm great.

It's paid for itself.

F*** me, you're my new favourite hero. I'm doing this when I eventually have the space.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member

It's paid for itself.
@sUpErShOoTeRs 46 you're lagging behind mate. 😂

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
I mean it hasn’t paid for itself but I admire your man maths
Well yeah, it just has to save me and the fam some money.. Got patches for punctures, that'll save £20 when it happens.

Ive got tracking gauges also, done a few on all the motors..

The problem is tyre disposal, but I just sling them into a farmers field or leave them piled up in a quiet lane.

Not really, they let you take in 2 or 4 loose tyres at the tip a year.