ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

building a media centre

BG 182
ok guys i have decided that instead of plugging my laptop into my tv to stream dvds, music and go on the net i am going to build a media centre.

basically im a novice when it comes to this so need some direction. here is what i would like to acheive:

ability to stream blue ray/hd dvds from hard drive (or disc if my budget will allow, if not then just off HD will b fine)
play itunes via my surround sound
surf the internet
in time i would like to be able to stream to other rooms in my house.

i am thinking about using a desktop pc which is easilly upgradeable. any suggestions on what i could use would be great, i would prefer just something i can just plug and play with at least 50gb hard drive to start with, but will need space to upgrade to a couple of Tb's.

any more info on what i need would be great or if anyone knows of anyone selling anything then let me know. also any good software ideas would be great.

i am working to a budget around £200quid to start off with then upgrade as my collection gets bigger. hope this is realistic

cheers in advance

lewis

BG 182
Have figured I may jus buy the bits and build a proper media centre now, apart from a case wot do I need, in basic terms please guys?

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
iv just spent about £340 on one, but the case was £100 without PSU.

spec is:

mATX motherboard with HDMI port
AMD2 x2 5000+
4GB RAM
1TB HDD
Twin DVB-T card
450WPSU
Antec Fusion case
Wireless keyboard/mouse in one
MCE remote
Vista Ultimate

prior to this i was running it on an old P4 tower with 1gb ram and 250gb hdd and it worked fine, i just wanted something nicer for the living room!

case.jpg

Last edited:
  Cupra
Remeber that it is important to get something with quiet fans. If you have ever watched a DVD on a PS2 and not been annoyed by the noise it made, then obviously you can ignore my advice.

Polo + Micra
i've just finished building my media centre pc but spent far too much lol

this is the case i used but in black.

i've got a mobo for sale that should be good in a htpc for £50 it's a gigabyte GA-EG45M-DS2H (as long as you don't want a graphics card that is)

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
isnt it easier to get a ps3? and stream to it from your desktop?

BG 182
i did want to do that but i want something upgradeable and dedicated to audio and video, i had a ps3 and it never got played. plus i got a few hundred gig of media

tiTTy & SV650
just get a western digital media player and plug a usb hard drive into it and plug it into the hdmi port - sorted, under £100

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
Depend what you want! what does the WD box do? record tv?

media centre is a full blown media center, u can have all ur HD and Bluray movies on it, downloaded stuff, i-player and all the others, internet on a massive screen which is always handy, all your photographs, mp3's, gaming on a big telly, crysis on a 42" plasma in full HD isnt bad! etc, etc. possibilities are endless!

Citroen DS3 White
I have one of these, used for surfing on TV, had HD resolution off HD, records TV, good for watching iplayer, works a treat.

I have upgraded the RAM and thinking of doing the HD but its good and compact.