ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bulb Help

Clio 182 Silver
Hi

I imagine everyone is bored of seeing these posts, I apolagise I have used the search function but this lead me to even more confusion.

Just got my 182 and it already had a Xenon style main beam headlight, But the dipped is the horrible yellow still. I am going to assume the Blue xenon style was not a standard.

I want to change the dipped and possibly the main if cannot find a good color match, Also want to change boot light number plate light and indicator to a non orange look. I want the LED style for interior bulbs.

On my old car I tried a different color interior bulb a festoon green off flea bay, needless to say it was s**t.

If anyone can please list the bulb types and if you have link to good quality ones or can recommend would be brilliant.

Thanks for your help

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Hi.

Ok, let's get started. It sounds like you have a 182 Cup (do you have reflector or projector headlamps?)

Do you have main and dipped beam mixed up? If so, ignore the below paragraph! (Dipped is the lights that are on all the time, while you flash your main beam)

Standard 182's have projector headlamps, and these light clusters can be swapped to cars which don't have them fairly easily. If you want Xenon dipped beams, this is the best way. The closest you can get to Xenon colour is 5000k without having proper Xenons. Don't get a HID kit if you don't have projector headlights.

Boot light is R5W.
Indicators are PY21W, you can go for Phillips Silvervisions which are silver when off, or OSRAM Diadems which are blue when off (I use Diadems)
Interior bulbs, if you have a map light, you need W5W bulbs (which are also your sidelight bulbs), if not it's a 36mm Festoon (However it will only work with either doors or manual, not both, unless you wire in a bridge rectifier or a second bulb)

Most of the above are available on eBay.

I also use CREE Q5 LED reverse lights, excellent bulbs.

Clio 182 Silver
I Will try get some pictures of the 2 different types. Sure google must hold this information.

I have stupid headlight washers if that helps. I have a main bean in xenon style and the inner light is orange.

Thank you for the information on the interior bulbs.

Is it a regular problem Clio headlights getting a strange texture to them. Should I invest in new lights or will these do the same?

I keep being advised by people to get osram bulbs.

Thanks for your help Gherkin

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
1. You have main beam and dipped beam mixed up. Outside is Xenon, inside is conventional halogen. You can't put Xenon bulbs in the main beam, so you can go for Phillips Bluevision (which are closer to the colour of Xenons) or OSRAM Nightbreaker + (Lots of power, great bulbs and my personal choice)

2. If you mean a yellowing/hazing, it's normal over time with plastic headlights, but they can be polished back up using wet'n'dry, search 'Headlight Correction' on here.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Silver
Thanks again Gherkin. I understand what your saying about lights now.

H7 Osram night breaker plus?

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks again Gherkin. I understand what your saying about lights now.

H7 Osram night breaker plus?

For the main beam, yup.

Just looking for all lights to have a LED style and indicators to not look orange effect

The bulbs above (Silvervisions, Diadems) will remove the 'fried egg' look, if you must have LED then a quick search on eBay finds these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-Amber-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f1c6510af

But I don't have any experience of using LEDs in the indicators so I wouldn't comment on how they perform or whether they appear orange when off.

Clio 182 Silver
  Clio 182 Silver
I am a little confused, been looking how to put my new bulbs in then came across people saying the dipped beam is a HB3/9005 not a H7 bulb.

I should prob explain better. the main beam I drive around with is xenon but the other light is orange I want that one as a xenon style.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I've just noticed that the guide I use has a typo - for Xenon headlights it has D2S as headlight bulb (dipped beam)... And then H7 as dipped beam (In other words it has 2 bulbs listed for dipped beam rather than one for dipped and one for full). I think you may be right, in that the Full Beam should be HB3. However I'd like someone to verify that first.

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...Full-Bulb-Guide&highlight=Mk2+full+bulb+guide

Clio 182 Silver
Bugger time to buy some more.. Not sure what main beam bulbs are currently in but at least I have some spares lying around..

Clio 182 Silver
I have a few dumb questions..

I purchased these for my interior lights as established from the bulb guide in members forum - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390470539323?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

They come just like that with the plastic however the interior light is a plastic holder.. Does the bulb slip out this holder then replace? I looked at in the car with little light and was annoyed thinking maybe I purchased wrong bulb..

I also purchased a LED number plate bulb.. But I cannot seem to get the bulb out? any wise tips dont wanna smash bulb and cause more trouble for myself.

Thanks