ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bumpers - Legality?

Valver Lookalike Mk1 Ph3
Ooh 2 different answers lol.

I can't reall think why they would be a legal requirement?

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
You would have all the crap and sharp edges exposed without them hence beign a requirement.

Valver Lookalike Mk1 Ph3
The sharp edges can be sorted though, I want to know specifically if bumpers are a legal requirement.

We're making an old fiesta into a buggy :D.

Valver Lookalike Mk1 Ph3
Nightfire said:
I believe it's illegal to have no bumpers. They're designed to protect people if you hit them.
How does a bumper protect people if they're hit?

Think they put them on cars so every little knock doesn't damage the body of the car. Hence them being bump-ers not peopleprotect-ers.

EDIT: Plus - Rear wipers/rear screen/rear screen wash/rear view mirror/heater, they're not legal requirements, they're still there.

Been trying to find info out on this but it's near enough impossible. From what I was told at college, bumpers are made to protect pedestrians. The height, shape, absorbancy (if that's a word) of the material behind the plastic, etc will help keep a person alive if hit as the bumper absorbs the impact. It should be on the NCAP site, but I can't find it anywhere

A number of clios
i was told once as long as the brackets are off and there are no shape edges or anything you dont have to have bumpers ive seen loads of mk 1 golfs and mk 1/2 fiesta's without bumpers on

Megane DCi 147bhp/350nwm
aerial atoms dont have bumpers...or doors...or winds...or a body! i dont think its illegal to not have bumpers!

ALBI 197 Sonic MKII
Rip3z said:
How does a bumper protect people if they're hit?
Doesn't protect per-say, but i'm sure you'd rather me run you down with a plastic bumper, rather than the metal framework of the car. Not that i'm planning to run you down or anything.

Valver Lookalike Mk1 Ph3
SoA2k6 said:
Doesn't protect per-say, but i'm sure you'd rather me run you down with a plastic bumper, rather than the metal framework of the car. Not that i'm planning to run you down or anything.

Well you usually go over the bonnet anyway.

Most people on this forum would run me down if given a chance lol.

www.renparts.co.uk
bullbars aren't legal.......... and they don't protect pedestrians. Providing there is nothing protruding from the car like threaded rods etc you should be OK.

Bye Bye 182....
Spoke with a friend who is a traffic policeman. He says that there is nothing in the highway code to state otrherwise and no legislation that he knows of so therefore he has to conclude that it is legal. However he said he could stop you for having dangerous objects protruding such as sharp metal or exposed rods etc etc.

Thats coming from a traffic copper - so if he wouldnt arrest you for it I dont think a normal bobby could as he would need to state legeslation to you. For example section c paragraph 4 states that it is illegal to drive on a public highway whilst the vechicle is not in possetion of a bumper etc etc and he wouldnt be able to.

Megane225FF
Vehicle structureBody condition and security
  • body must not be so insecure or displaced so that it might lead to loss of control of the vehicle when driven, or be a danger to other road users
  • there must be no dangerous sharp edges or projections caused by corrosion or damage which is dangerous to other road users including pedestrians.
guess that means bumpers dont have to be there..

Valver Lookalike Mk1 Ph3
my_cougar49 said:
Spoke with a friend who is a traffic policeman. He says that there is nothing in the highway code to state otrherwise and no legislation that he knows of so therefore he has to conclude that it is legal. However he said he could stop you for having dangerous objects protruding such as sharp metal or exposed rods etc etc.

Thats coming from a traffic copper - so if he wouldnt arrest you for it I dont think a normal bobby could as he would need to state legeslation to you. For example section c paragraph 4 states that it is illegal to drive on a public highway whilst the vechicle is not in possetion of a bumper etc etc and he wouldnt be able to.

Nice one.

Well that along with the above quote has pretty much made my mind up.

Bumpers are not a legality.

Thanks all.

Valver Lookalike Mk1 Ph3
Thank you for your email enquiry to Kent Police
I have received the following reply to your question:

The answer is "Yeah but no."
Let me explain there is nothing in the road vehicle construction and use regulations 1986 that states that a vehicle must be fitted with a bumper. However if one is missing it is often the case that police would consider the offences of using a vehicle in a dangerous condition or dangerous parts. This is because a missing bumper often exposes dangerous sharp metal parts that present a danger to other road users should they come into contact with them.

I do not have any material to attach but the isbn number for the regulations is 0 11 067078 7 should they wish to purchase a copy.

Regards
Enquiries Admin