ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Burpspeed: Anglesey Race Report

172 Race Car
Anglesey Testing - Friday 21st May 2010

It was a lovely morning as we made our way to the Anglesey circuit for our first proper test session. Hopefully we would be able to improve on the setup we had at Brands. We arrived at the circuit mid morning and were immediately taken aback by the stunning surroundings.

1477.jpg
4247.jpg

We set up base for the day and went off to sign on. Playing to our strengths we decided to put Tony in the car for the full afternoon and I would be on the pit wall. We could both concentrate on our tasks. We fitted some more sponsor logos and pit board stickers again supplied by N2grafix.

3963.jpg
3966.jpg

One of the staff at the circuit gave us a drive around a few laps in a road car to show us the layout. We found this very useful and something we've not seen other circuits offer. The track is nothing like it appears in the video's, the gradients are much steeper than they appear.

shapeimage_4.png

After speaking to Curtis at AST we made a few tiny adjustments prior to the first run. Our main task for the first session was to establish a stable tyre pressure where we wanted them. Due to lack of running at Brands we didn't learn much about how the tyres reacted over a run and ended the race with extremely high front tyre pressure, partly the problem with the car.

Tony's first run went well and we had good tyre pressures when I checked them after the session. A fastest lap of 1:26.7sec gave us a base to start from. Tony had reported that the car had improved now the tyre weren't balloons but that it still was nowhere near where we wanted it. Prior to the day we had fitted a rear anti roll bar but left its links detached on the first run. So for the next run we connected it on its soft setting.

4063.jpg

Session 2 was much better, the car reacted well to the change and an improved lap time of 1:22.8 was encouraging.

A small ride height change in session 3 didn't make much of a difference to the balance but Tony was able to get into the high 1:22sec bracket on a few clear laps

4029.jpg
4039.jpg

4210.jpg

We had 1 run left, the car had been getting better with every change and after another quick call to Curtis at AST, we stiffened the rear roll bar right up. Tony had a great run and was consistently in the mid to low 1:22's. He managed a full 20 minute run and did 3 laps in the 21's. His best being a 1:21.8sec.

A very productive day, we still have work to do on setup but have made a giant leap forwards. Our first experience of test day was a positive one. We packed up ready to go and went off to walk the circuit. Tony describing the lap to me.

4281.jpg
4270.jpg

4252.jpg

We’re looking forward to racing tomorrow and will hopefully be more competitive.............

Anglesey CSCC Tintops race - 22nd May 2010

We arrived early on Saturday morning after having a full cooked breakfast in the B&B down the road from the circuit. We found a spot in the already crowded paddock, setup, gave the car a quick wash and sent it off to be 'scrutinised' in the capable hands of our crew.

1478.jpg
1480.jpg

1479.jpg
4446.jpg

Qualifying was quite early compared to Brands but we had time to practice some driver changes for the first time.

4291.jpg
4298.jpg

4295.jpg

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vasfn9b6kks&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vasfn9b6kks&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Tony had plenty of time to learn the circuit yesterday so we elected to put me in the car first.

shapeimage_4.png
4320.jpg

shapeimage_5.png

The track walk, safety car ride and watching Tony's video from testing had helped and I quickly got my times below 1:23 seconds. The car was much better than at Brands. With one lap before I pitted to hand over to Tony, I had a clear track and tried to be as smooth as possible. I came into the pits and Tony hopped in. Our lads quickly checked the tyre pressures and he was on his way. Plenty of traffic to negotiate but settled into the high 21's in clear air.

4416.jpg
4434.jpg

shapeimage_6.png

Session over and it had been a good one. The final clear lap I had before pitting was a 1:21.0 putting us 5th on the grid! We couldn't believe it. Secretly we had hoped for top ten with the improvements we had made and in the slightly thinner field, but never expected that. Some insects had to give their lives to achieve it though.

shapeimage_7.png
4441.jpg

4445.jpg

Just before lunch I had a qualifying session for the Sports vs Saloon race I had entered. The field consisted of everything from big Jag's, Tintops, and Classic Porsche's to a Radical and some missile quick Caterham's. The session was fun and I used it to try some different lines after watching Tony's earlier runs. I managed a 1:22.0 to put me 14th out of 32 and next to a BMW on the grid.

shapeimage_8.png
4474.jpg

Less than an hour later was the Tintops race. Tony would start and the plan was to leave him out right till the end of the pitstop window. After an aborted start and another warm up lap, he made a good getaway and briefly thought about challenging the car in front but slotted into 5th. Half a lap later and the safety car came out (just as at Brands) to allow the marshals to clear up an oil spill between the banking and Church corner.

Snapshot%20-%201.jpg

shapeimage_10.png

shapeimage_9.png

Being much closer to the front meant Tony could see the lights go out on the safety car, and this time kept much closer to the car in front on the restart. The car behind was filling his mirrors for a lap or two but once he had pulled out a few car lengths and could take his normal line, his times picked up. Tony did a fantastically consistent fast run in the mid 22's and was in clear air most of the time, unable to catch the top 4.

4547.jpg
4551.jpg

By half distance other teams were starting to pit, Tony continued round and made up places, he was now lapping in the high 1:21's and not loosing much time lapping some class B cars that had pitted. We called him in with 28 minutes gone from 2nd place, we were the last to stop. We had a pretty decent stop of 23 seconds, almost half our Brands shambles. I rejoined the race in 3rd place, not far off 2nd. I took it steady on the out lap but the car felt great. The brakes and tyres were working well and it was the best it had been since we built it. With empty mirrors and 2nd place ahead I tried to keep the gap but found myself gaining. A few laps later a car span in front of us at church corner. Being slightly further back I didn't have to back off as much and got a good run up the hill to Rocket corner, a very big stop. Moving to the inside I had to brake on the dirty stuff and struggled to slow down. I remember wondering how much a passenger door was for an MG ZR but luckily Clinton in the MG was struggling to stop as well and ran wide, I was through into 2nd!

Snapshot%20-%202.jpg

shapeimage_12.png

But it was too much for me in what was only my 2nd ever race and a lap later, checking my mirrors too much, I ran wide at Church and was re-passed.

4565.jpg
4566.jpg

The rapid 4th placed Honda had been catching our battle and I defended my position as best I could. I defended up at the top of the hill into Rocket but a lap later at the same point I hesitated trying to pass a Ford Puma and he was through.

4569.jpg
4571.jpg

4578.jpg

On the final lap the Honda managed to pass the MG with a good run through Church and along the back straight. As the three of us came down the hill through the corkscrew, I could see the flag. We all finished very close together as I crossed the line in 4th.

shapeimage_13.png

Snapshot%20-%203.jpg

4590.jpg

What a race, our fastest lap was some way off the top 3's and a few cars behind had done quicker laps but our result was a combination of the work we did in testing on Friday, strategy, a good pitstop and Tony's mega consistent, mistake free long stint. The only thing wrong with the car was the windscreen strip that came loose.

132.jpg

It was over a three hour wait till my Sports vs Saloon race, a 15 minute sprint. It was great experience as I did a start for the first time. I had a little fight with the BMW, eventually passed and pulled away. 7 laps in I understeered wide at turn 1 and took to the grass. It caught me by surprise as id took my normal line and approach speed. The rest of the lap was a bit scary as the car would not turn in well. The front tyres were completely finished. I thought about calling it a day but stayed out and cruised around to finish 16th and another signature on my licence.

What a weekend. We are very, very pleased with how it went. The test was the key ingredient, being able to run the car and play with setup was what we needed.

http://www.classicsportscarclub.co.uk/Results/2010 Anglesey.pdf

Anglesey%20Results.jpg

Anglesey%20SvsS%20Results.jpg

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Nice work and a great result on coming 4th.

Looks like the car is running very well and I'm sure you'll have the un-offical CS pitt team itching to help where ever you are racing next.

It looks like so much fun, seriously jealous.

Oh and I look forward to these write ups like I would a new episode of my favourite tv program. Epic.

Turbos.
Great write up, well done boys!

Was funny seeing the pitstop vid, we used to practice quite a lot! Once at Spa a team with an Aston took it really seriously. The team manager was shouting at them for not getting a decent time. Someone panicked and dropped it from the airjacks with no wheels on! LOL.

Anyway, good luck at the next round, where's it at?

172 Race Car
Great write up, well done boys!

Was funny seeing the pitstop vid, we used to practice quite a lot! Once at Spa a team with an Aston took it really seriously. The team manager was shouting at them for not getting a decent time. Someone panicked and dropped it from the airjacks with no wheels on! LOL.

Anyway, good luck at the next round, where's it at?
I doub we will ever take it that seriously but it was just so we had an idea of how to do it. We can get below 20seconds next time, we were practicing it wrong as the officials told us we couldnt loosen belts untill stationary.

Next round is 12th June at Oulton.

Sorry to hear about Brands chap

good write up, why is the honda integra so quick though, do they have more power?
Yea more power id imagine, they are very serious cars, a few in the series normally. They are ex-britcar production cars.

Winners get a 30 second pitstop penalty to take to the next meeting tho to try and keep one car from winning all the time

172 Race Car
a little vid from the weekend. In car lap is one of Tony's quick ones from Friday testing

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/krXkho6F0oc&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/krXkho6F0oc&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Turbos.
I doub we will ever take it that seriously but it was just so we had an idea of how to do it. We can get below 20seconds next time, we were practicing it wrong as the officials told us we couldnt loosen belts untill stationary.

Next round is 12th June at Oulton.

Sorry to hear about Brands chap

Yea more power id imagine, they are very serious cars, a few in the series normally. They are ex-britcar production cars.

Winners get a 30 second pitstop penalty to take to the next meeting tho to try and keep one car from winning all the time

Do you have elastic on the belts? Helps loads!

172 Race Car
we tried it but couldn't find anything suitable at the time, another thing on the to do list for the summer break

If you are serious about this and want to do well, i would strongly advise you to seek some sort of expert nutritional advice. It sounds trivial, but blood sugar levels, mineral and hydration levels can have a big impact on the sort of skills that require fine motor control like driving a car. The airforces around the world were pioneers in this, and the science has crept into F1 and other categories. The US military spends hundreds of millions on this sort of research every year.

For example the US airforce banned it pilots from drinking anything with aspartame in it as it slowed reactions and made decisions making unpredictable. I beleive this is now in place as a recommendation for commercial airline pilots too.

I only mentioned this as you said you had a fry up. Could be worth a few tenths if you sort this area out. Tiredness is a big factor in late race crashes IMO. Not physical tiredness, but mental tiredness due to falling blood sugar and unbalanced mineral levels.

Turbos.
If you are serious about this and want to do well, i would strongly advise you to seek some sort of expert nutritional advice. It sounds trivial, but blood sugar levels, mineral and hydration levels can have a big impact on the sort of skills that require fine motor control like driving a car. The airforces around the world were pioneers in this, and the science has crept into F1 and other categories. The US military spends hundreds of millions on this sort of research every year.

For example the US airforce banned it pilots from drinking anything with aspartame in it as it slowed reactions and made decisions making unpredictable. I beleive this is now in place as a recommendation for commercial airline pilots too.

I only mentioned this as you said you had a fry up. Could be worth a few tenths if you sort this area out. Tiredness is a big factor in late race crashes IMO. Not physical tiredness, but mental tiredness due to falling blood sugar and unbalanced mineral levels.

Fitness and nutrition is a valid point, and is something i realised i had to improve drastically. However, it looks like they are sharing a 40 minute race so not too taxing.

Understandably most people do amateur racing for just a bit of fun, so there isn't always a need to evaluate your whole lifestyle. If you want to move to endurance racing though, it's something worth taking seriously!

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.
Good weekend for you both....

Nice to see the weather was well planned for your visit to Wales.

182cup & 172 racecar

I hear what your saying,but they are only short races and while we can "bang in" consistent laps from start to finish then a "fry up" will do me. If I was doing Britcar 24hr then of course nutrition becomes a big factor.

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
well done both of you, excellent finish in only the 2nd race! roll on the next one :)

182cup & 172 racecar
Its good when your overhear people talking about the Burpspeed car in the pits,I think we ruffled a few feathers at the weekend.

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
must be a good feeling after you know how much work you've put in to it.

182cup & 172 racecar
Yes,just glad to be racing it now,we have had some very low low's during the build and it just seemed to go on for ever,good thing now is it just needs a spanner check,oil change and a clean and its ready to go again.

So its all been worth it.