ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Burpspeed - From The beginning

172 Race Car
Some of you will know who owned this car before i did and its progress and its life to the stage i bought it has been documented on here.

My original plan was to buy a standard or as near as standard one, run it as was for a while and then strip/modifiy it/. But I managed to get this one with alot of work already done to it. Its not how i want it so thats where this thread comes in. As i dont realy need a car regularly i decided to keep it off the road for a while so i can get some stuff done on it. I bought it in need of a little attention, brakes being the biggest problem. (something about a trip to the Black mountains)

Here is the car as i bought it....

IMAGE_163.jpg

IMAGE_159.jpg

IMAGE_157.jpg

IMAGE_162.jpg

I plan to do the car in two stages.

First to get the interior and exterior sorted, tidy up the wiring and sort the rear (3 pad) brakes out.

Stage two will be later this year hopefully(depending on funds) and will includesome choice engine and suspension changes
So i have made up a shopping list of stuff i need
and almost have it all so i set to it....

...................................................................................

The original interior trim was sold COMPLETE meaning the car had no electric window switches.

IMAGE_164.jpg

after seeing some pics on here of cars that had their door trims removed and had the stock switches stuck/cable tied on i was determined to make a nice job of it. Didnt want to switch to 'keep fit' windows as i like the electrics and from what ive heard they dont save a great deal of weight. Also the solution ive come up with has cost next to nothing.

While driving the van one day i had an idea. The window switches on that are housed in a small pod that sits neatly on the panel As im previously a ford man (Ford college trained and worked in two main dealers for 8 years) i knew exactly what would be involved to get them working on the clio. A visit to the local scrappy and for the sum of £2 i got myself 3 switches and multiplugs and set about extending the looms...

IMAGE_168.jpg

Then set about wiring them up with the help of a diagram i still had from the old days.

IMAGE_173.jpg

Got them working (including the illumination) so soldered them in......

IMAGE_174.jpg

The transit pods from Ford (about a £10 for the pair)

IMAGE_208.jpg

Im gonna be making some flat panels for the doors so these will look quite neat imo.

Dash is coming out, not to stay out just to sort out the dash warning lights and remove some un-needed items like soundproofing. Made a start.........

IMAGE_194.jpg

IMAGE_198.jpg

IMAGE_199.jpg

IMAGE_200.jpg

Dont want/need the airbag so it came out....

IMAGE_201.jpg

IMAGE_206.jpg

Very heavy thing that, put it on the scales and its near to 3.5kgs!

That left a hole in the dash where the bag was, so went to the local breakers and picked up a 1.2 non airbag dash top in black.....

IMAGE_204.jpg

IMAGE_203.jpg

IMAGE_202.jpg

Thats it so far.................

More progress tomorrow

Last edited by a moderator:
  Golf R soon...
Re: My Ph1 172 track sl*g Progress Thread

I remember you talking to me about this car at one of the Witney meets! Cool!

Will keep a close eye on this project for sure!

172 Race Car

Went in to the brakers for a hazard switch (thats missing too) they only had one ph1 there and that didnt have one. Later when i realised the airbag prob i went straight down to grab the dash top off it.

Thanks for spacing the pictures out Day. Will do that in future.

SchwepTek™

Love this car!!! Can't wait to see its progress mate. Good luck with it. Hope to see it at FCS or sooner???

V6 230

Looks good mate, wish I had space on my drive to do something simelar

172 Race Car

Dont remember seeing you here today getting your hands dirty :rasp:

172 Race Car

Amazing weather today, sunny without a cloud in the sky, just a little windy. Todays progress was HUGE while i was busy fitting new brakes on Anim@l's 182 he set about taking off all the stickers (not realy my thing stickers)

IMAGE_211.jpg

For the tw@t strip haters.....

IMAGE_212.jpg

If i was to put new stickers on the car of all the suppliers the list would be:

Ebay
Harry Buckland scrap yard
Twigworth brakers
Partco
Brown Brothers
and Cliosport for sale section

Not really anything to show off..........

Fitted a wiper bank plate to tidy up the boot lid. tried to get the flat non wiper one (Beleive its off the french cup or Raggnotti or what ever its called) but the local dealer said that even tho its listed on the parts catalog (for £18!) it wasn't available. He even rang France to check. so i went for a standard one (£3!) with a Wallance and Grommet to fill the hole..

From this....

IMAGE_209.jpg

to this....

IMAGE_210.jpg

Planned to take the aircon off at some stage in the cars future but another member needs the condenser coz a badger ate it, so off it came today...

IMAGE_220.jpg

IMAGE_222.jpg

All the pipework gone too

IMAGE_223.jpg

The compressor is staying on for now, will be coming off some time tho. While the bumper was off used the oportunity to remove the carbon canister and fog lamp wiring.

IMAGE_224.jpg

After that we carried on taking the dash out...

IMAGE_225.jpg

IMAGE_226.jpg

IMAGE_228.jpg

Removed all the un-nessisary wiring loom, airbag, door switches, dash tweeters, interior light etc. took the bulbs out of the clock for seat belt warning and door ajar. Serv light and airbag light went out when chopping the loom off. Later we found that the car wouldn't start and the immobiliser led wasn't flashing. turned out to be a 5 amp fuse blown, Few!

Changed the clutch ratchet, that had been playing up, while the dash was out (easy job in this state) found that the throttle cable is frayed and literaly hanging on one thread. Need to get a new one this week....

IMAGE_231.jpg

Took off all the dash vent ducting for the face vents. Only going to have it working on screen and feet.

IMAGE_227.jpg

IMAGE_230.jpg

Much neater wiring loom now....

IMAGE_233.jpg

Pile of bin fodder, bulkhead insulation and other unwanted shite.....

IMAGE_229.jpg

took the roof ariel off....... want to keep the radio but i have a plan for that hole ;)

IMAGE_232.jpg

The massive amount of wiring thats been removed. And thats only part of it...

IMAGE_235.jpg

So all in all a productive day ended by bad light and hunger.

Not much time tomorrow to do much more, got to go and look at a car with someone also got to tidy the house up before my mrs comes back from visiting her parents. There are clio parts scattered all around the house in every room.

SchwepTek™

Wow more good work mate. Wish i had the money and space to do something like this. Its going to be awesome when its finished. Get some pics up of the outside of the car without the strip on!!!! ;)

looking good,i tried to order that french cup racer wiper cover from my local dealer but to no avail

FF Blackgold 182

IMAGE_226.jpg

Looking back on this pic, it was pretty horendous to look at! :eek: lol. Fair bit of progress made today though! :)

that is awesome! very interesting to read etc, makes me want a ph1!

106 GTi

Nice work. Good old Harry B's !!!!

Must be a day for dashes out, stood around watching may mates strip there 106 one earlier.

172 & RSi

I wana dewiper the rear of mine, what size grommet have you used? How is it fitted, have you just glued it?

Cheers

Qashcow

only just spotted this jay. first thing im doing when im back in the UK is taking the rear wiper off. hadnt thourght about a smooth panel. my 2 previous cars had them removed but with just a gromet into the window.

was going to say if you needed a hand at all let me know but by the time im back it'll be nearly ready hopefully!!

Qashcow

back on the evening of 16th Feb, got the week after that off work aswell. just let me know, like getting my hands dirty :)

Rb 182

Looking great mate :)

Good progress.

Really wnat to know whats going ot happen with the aerial hole. :p

172 Race Car

How my living room looked while my Girlfriend was away..

IMAGE_236.jpg

Not much progress as ive been working and its too dark when i get home. Ive been slowly sorting out the wheels. Running stock for road and the white ones re-done in black, for the track. Also had a go at the heater panel, i figured that seeing as two of the three buttons have no funtion anymore id rip them all out and do somthing different.....

IMAGE_238.jpg

IMAGE_239.jpg

IMAGE_241.jpg

Need to sort out the hazard switch problem yet. Maybe squeeze a switch in the midle of these two.......

Some more bits have arrived, battery cutout switch, renault 182 headunit and a black sunstrip. the pile is growing. Got some disc's coming on the weekend so i can get the rear brakes sorted......