ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Buying a 172..

172 Rep
Only just passed my test a month ago, have a 52 plate 1.2 clio extreme, insurance prices are around 4500 at the cheapest, been quoted 3250 for a 172 ? is it a wise idea going for it?

172 Rep
If i got a 172, i'd treasure the thing, but after jumping to one of those from a 1.2 id be a bit lead footed..
Dont know whether to take the safe option and keep my current car :dapprove:

172 Rep
No years no claims, i planned ahead and said i have been driving for 3 months, January i'd have the money saved if all is well, just done the odd lie to the insurance..

172 Rep
I was thinking about that, i honestly would not trust myself, i think my clio like is like a ferarri as much as i hate to admit..:cool:

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
No years no claims, i planned ahead and said i have been driving for 3 months, January i'd have the money saved if all is well, just done the odd lie to the insurance..

You lied to the insurance??

Well done, congratulations.

225 Cup & Williams
What do you mean done the odd lie to the insurance? For only having passed your test 3 months that price is lower than I thought it would be.

MCS R56
As above, wait. Be patient, enjoy driving instead of eating tree when you rap your 172 around one. Those quotes are crazy money for a 172, not worth it at all. It's all very well being a safe driver but what if something else happens to the car that wasn't your fault, it can still affect the insurance.

At least you're honest, it's impossible not to drive these cars hard or they feel like 1.2's. Keep the current car for a few years and spend the money on something good.

172 Rep
Lied about the price of the car, change certain options, lower annual mileage, excess etc.. not a huge deal..

Clio
Think people may have misunderstood what he is saying, i think he's saying he changed a few things on the quote, so that he could get an idea of the price for when the time comes (i assume he would use accurate details when actually taking out a policy)

MCS R56
Either way, it still isn't worth it in the slightest to pay thousands on insurance for a Sport. Do the right thing.