ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Buying a 2nd hand 172 with a missing 1st service???

Hello

I am currently looking into purchasing a 2002 Clio 172 (44k on clock) through a reputable indepedant dealer. Upon examining the car there seemed to be no major problems however in the service log book there were only 3 stamps; one at 20k, one at 32k and one at 44 - from what I know Clios are meant to be serviced every 12k so it appears this car has pretty much missed its first service - the 20k and 44k services were done through Renault garages whilst the middle one was done from an indepedant.

Given the fact the 1 owner of the car from new has completely missed the first service of his car and not serviced it for 20,000miles should I be wary? No other signs that the car has been neglected hugely and other than the odd scratch, some damage to the steering wheel and lack of tread on the front two tyres, the car is in near immaculate condition...what are the opinions of forum members?

Thanks

Mini Cooper S sport
Well from my point of view it's had three regular services in its life so I'd have thought it would be ok. The only problem may be when you come to sell it on, it might put off future buyers.

Ring Renault or local dealers see if the service book wasn't just signed by accident.
If you cannot prove its had its 12k then way away IMO.

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
Personally speaking, I wouldn't worry if it hasn't had it's 1st service as it has had three others since. I would have also thought that whatever should have been done on the 1st service would probably have been done on the 20k service anyway. There could be a chance that it did have it's 1st service but the garage that did it forgot to stamp the book. These things do happen. I would however make sure (if you decide to buy it), that the garage puts on two new tyres and tries to sort out the problem with the damage to the steering wheel.

I wouldn't touch it. 20k from new on original oil can't have done it any good at all (if that's the case). There can't be a shortage of other examples with proper history. If the original owner forgot the 12k service then he/she couldn't have cared much for the car. I had my 1st oil change at 1.5k ffs :D

It doesn't make it a bad car by default, but they aren't exactly rare to get hold of are they?

Having contacted the first owner I found it was a young girl who was bought the car by her parents. The car wasnt driven hard but was used for town driving and since the owner knew nothing about cars at all most likely forgot about its first service. The car didnt have any problems with it and was sold as insurance was too expensive. My mistake, there was actually a second owner (also lady driver) however I havent been able to contact them

The garage have said they will change the tyres and steering wheel, what type of price would you guys put on what is essentially a excellent to immaculate condition 172 with 44k on the clock from an indepedant garage that has missed its first service but otherwise seems to have been cared for?