ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

buying a cat c (water damage)

Astra gsi turbo
iv seen a car for sale quite local and its registered as a cat c due to water damage (fresh water came in contact with the carpet)this happened almost 1 year ago and its been on the road since. looking on different sites for a 2005 with the same milage are going between £4500-£5500 and the one im looking at is much less. as its been on the road almost a year will it be ok or will it be a ticking time bomb?. any thoughts or help would be apreciated​

Listerine & Poledo
fresh water on the carpet?

How did it get in?

I wouldn't risk it, if it's flood damage think about the chassis and mechanicals

How much are you saving vs how much will the resale value be?

Does the owner have proof that it was water damage? I.E photos at the time of the incident? As above, how serious are we talking.

Punto/Clio GTT
only thing that would put me off would be perhaps corrosion on the loom? would be a ball ache trying to fault find what wires have corroded and having to replace them. depends how bad the water damage was really. if the price was good, id risk it, the money you save would be the cost for you finding corroded wire ends and plugs etc

pimp mobile Zafira
I could be wrong but wouldn't this need to go through tests to make sure it's roadworthy after any write off! With this in mind you'd want the price about 25% lower than normal.

Astra gsi turbo
it has had its vic check last year. it was flood water which is classed as fresh water. its a civic type r 2005 with 66k. normal price is between £4500-£6000 and the price of this is £3000. im not to bothered about the resale price as its worth its money in parts

pimp mobile Zafira
That's not a bad price really. Did you find out how the water got in? I'm seeing an awful lot of cat c/d ctr's around!

Astra gsi turbo
it was in a flood. the carpet got wet. iv already had 3 and 2 of them were crashed. 1 was a cat d and 1 was unrecorded and both were perfect on the road. i sorted them myself

Astra gsi turbo
this is her

type r yo.jpg

pimp mobile Zafira
For £3k mate I'd say Sod it and buy it. As you've already said if you were unlucky and it turned out to be a shed you could break it. I'd be wanting someone to check her over. See if you can have a look under the carpets to see what and what hasn't been replaced. Good luck.

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
id be thinking this water ingress must been alot more than a wet carpet for it to be a Cat C over a D

Id walk by myself

330i. E30 Touring.
id be thinking this water ingress must been alot more than a wet carpet for it to be a Cat C over a D

Id walk by myself

Could be as simple as wetting the UCH (if they're in a potentially vulnerable location), carpet and seats.

If claimed on through insurance, that could write one off. You could fix it with second hand parts for less than £1k though.

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
I wouldn't go for a water damaged car because of the potential for corrosion on the wiring looms etc. Could turn out very costly.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member

Id walk by myself

Doesn't work like that mate. Water damage is usually Cat B because of the bacteria/health issues even though it may only take a couple of hundred to sort it.

It couldn't have been that bad or it would have been Cat B.