ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

buying a new car with lifetime paint protection .

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
my grandma and grandad are have just bought a new red mada 2 and have been offered a paint protection package for £200 they have been told the car is never going to need to be polished again as this stuff willlast a lifetime .
i told them its sales bullshit and will wear of eventually and they would be better of buying me some decent polish's and wax's with a few pads and ill give it a good go over with the rotary .

so whats actually involved in this £200 package does anyone know ?
and would they be best payin £200 or just buying some real good polish and wax and keeping ontop of it themselves ?

Does paint protection not normally protect your paint, i.e. you dont pay small chips etc, thats what it was for me

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
Does paint protection not normally protect your paint, i.e. you dont pay small chips etc, thats what it was for me

not a clue mate i dont think they fully understood it and got lead on into paying the extra £200 . but they seem to think there never going to have to polish it again .

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Lols it's like paintshield and supaguard ect......pisch!

Decent wax will hold up as good as that nonsense!

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
think this one is diamondshine or something like that . ive told them to cancel it and say they dont want it but whether they do or not is another story .
so am i right in what i told them about buying mesome good wax's and polish's and ill do it every now and again for them

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Give a detailer £100 and they will seal it for you.

You can always be a good boy and top it up for them after 4 months or so.

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
i might aswell get them to buy the stuff for me i could do with some new pads ,polish's and wax's

If it cost 200 quid it will be s**t. It will not be a plastic armourguard and therefore will not protect against stone chips. It is something that people see as an easy fix for not having to polish a car. Meaning it is a quick and easy way out. Meaning it will not be worth the paper the receipt is printed on.

For 100 quid as the Gallister has said, I have polish and protect the car and seal it properly.

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
If it cost 200 quid it will be s**t. It will not be a plastic armourguard and therefore will not protect against stone chips. It is something that people see as an easy fix for not having to polish a car. Meaning it is a quick and easy way out. Meaning it will not be worth the paper the receipt is printed on.

For 100 quid as the Gallister has said, I have polish and protect the car and seal it properly.

yeah just as i thought its supposed to be £300+ but there getting it cheaper as part of the deal . there to gullable and believe what the sales rep has told them . leasy i have enough proof on here now to maby convince them otherwise .

Google it :) mine was £300 for 3 years. Basically if ur car is written off after a year, you get the value of the car at that time. Gap would bring that back up to what you paied for it.

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
even if its paid for outright ? i dont think they willneed it they never go fast enough to do anything more than scuff a bumper. and i dont think it will see more that 1k a year as its to replace there 106 which never gets used .

Ok dude :) I did it for my sport as they drop bucket loads and i thought £100 a year to get the full value back was worth it, tis your call dude.

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
ill let them knwo about it anyways dude thanks . and see if i can get them to change there mind about this diamondshine thingy

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
oh rite cheers ,i dont think they will bother about that anyway as they have never had any sort of accident in the last 15-20 years . yeah well ive warned them but they think there tied into having it done now .

These products dont live up to the crazy sales claims but they do offer some degree of protection if applied properly, thing is the valeting staff most dealers use are not about to being doing much in the way of prep work and thats the key stage in any paint sealing process.

Give a detailer £100 and they will seal it for you.

You can always be a good boy and top it up for them after 4 months or so.

£100 :lolup: youd be hard pushed to get a pro to do a new car prep for less than £200, most decent detailers are going to charge you 200-300+ for new car prep.

Hi. Pro detailer talking. 125 for paint correction and seal. . . That wasn't too much of a hard push now was it?

Fair enough, i take it you have not been in the game for very long or do it as a side line as a proper correction detail will take 2 days work, 125 for 2 days, youd be better working in Mc D's after taking out all your business expenses, tax, insurance, products, and so on. A once over with a machine (1 stage and wax, if your doing a proper job of the cleaning claying and every thing else that goes in to it, your looking 6-8hours even on a clio, 125 works out 20PH gross takings, by the time you take out travel, goods, and all the rest theres not much profit to be had. but if it works for you, good on ya.

Iv been in the trade for over 10 years ;), and im a full time pro with 2 employees, a work shop and two vans, i know the costs involved and time scales of doing a proper job.

Last edited:

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
First of all why would he need a correction? It's a brand new car?
I know some dealers can make a mess of it, but I hardly think 60 year old grand parents are gona care about swirls.

Whooop de do! I'm sure I have a medal somewhere for you!

Fair enough, i take it you have not been in the game for very long or do it as a side line as a proper correction detail will take 2 days work, 125 for 2 days, youd be better working in Mc D's after taking out all your business expenses, tax, insurance, products, and so on. A once over with a machine (1 stage and wax, if your doing a proper job of the cleaning claying and every thing else that goes in to it, your looking 6-8hours even on a clio, 125 works out 20PH gross takings, by the time you take out travel, goods, and all the rest theres not much profit to be had. but if it works for you, good on ya.

Iv been in the trade for over 10 years ;), and im a full time pro with 2 employees, a work shop and two vans, i know the costs involved and time scales of doing a proper job.

Second part is correct (no punn intended) and I'm not looking for an argument (although everyone seems to be jumping on the Cliosport detailing waggon at the moment, with "pros" popping up everywhere!).

I run it as a side line for something I enjoy that gives me a car/house/beer fund. Clio sized car takes 10 hours for full two stage correction. Larger cars like the astons and R8s take longer, obviously.

I don't travel, products aren't that expensive per detail and I would suggest the proper job comment can be answered with the following I have on here and around the NW. . .

Oh, and vital stats are 5 years, large heated garage, a cup of tea, bacon butties, a "you can sit in the R8 and start it" customer service and 100s of happy customers ;)

edit; replies like this always sound arsey, regardless of what is said. This is not an arsey comment, meant as a bit of banter :)

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Me to you kant! :( Maybe I should treat myself this morning!

Someone leaned over and read what I was writing and just gave me some advice. There is something down the road called a greedy pig . . . two sausage, two eggs, two bacon, two hash browns in a large bap with sauce . . . !!!!!

First of all why would he need a correction? It's a brand new car?
I know some dealers can make a mess of it, but I hardly think 60 year old grand parents are gona care about swirls.

Whooop de do! I'm sure I have a medal somewhere for you!

If that was in some way aimed at me i think you need to go and read what i actually said, i never had a mention of correction work.

Im sure we are all armchair experts here, and you will already know this, but any vehicle finish will benefit from machine polishing work, be it fresh out the paint oven or 10 years old, new cars still lack alot of clarity in there paint finish, so some degree of machine work would be beneficial.

Second part is correct (no punn intended) and I'm not looking for an argument (although everyone seems to be jumping on the Cliosport detailing waggon at the moment, with "pros" popping up everywhere!).

I run it as a side line for something I enjoy that gives me a car/house/beer fund. Clio sized car takes 10 hours for full two stage correction. Larger cars like the astons and R8s take longer, obviously.

I don't travel, products aren't that expensive per detail and I would suggest the proper job comment can be answered with the following I have on here and around the NW. . .

Oh, and vital stats are 5 years, large heated garage, a cup of tea, bacon butties, a "you can sit in the R8 and start it" customer service and 100s of happy customers ;)

edit; replies like this always sound arsey, regardless of what is said. This is not an arsey comment, meant as a bit of banter :)

I totally understand where you are coming from and if its some thing you enjoy and you get to have a little meet up with some guys off your club, do them a nice job and so on and you enjoy it all the better, but that dont make you a pro. your profession is your main source of income and your commercial speciality.

Im actually not on here to try to gain work (i dont think i have ever detailed a clio), as this is not the market i aim for. im here as my brother has a 192 and i wanted to look up a bit of info. no commercial interest at all.

(not a dig or a snipe just a reply ;))

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Fair enough, i take it you have not been in the game for very long or do it as a side line as a proper correction detail will take 2 days work, 125 for 2 days, youd be better working in Mc D's after taking out all your business expenses, tax, insurance, products, and so on.

A once over with a machine (1 stage and wax, if your doing a proper job of the cleaning claying and every thing else that goes in to it, your looking 6-8hours even on a clio, 125 works out 20PH gross takings, by the time you take out travel, goods, and all the rest theres not much profit to be had. but if it works for you, good on ya.

I pointed out the correction part for you to see.

It's still a 197 your brother has no matter how many ponies it has.

Definitely typed that before my morning coffee, go me the keyboard warrior :S Sorry lad lol!

Hear what you're saying, ran a business just like yourself as my source of income while at University (insured, small garage but still local Leeds/NW/NE only) so looked upon myself as a pro. It's no longer the main stay of my income, full time role since leaving Uni, but it is still something I love doing. The varying colours on the same sort of cars still puts a smile on my face :approve:

I'm just waiting for you to run out of posts as a forum user, rather than a member, so I can **** you off without you being able to reply ;) (jokes!).

Oh and I am hoping your brother has a 197 or a 182, other wise he has a very high performing car or under performing, dependant!!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Lol you're lucky I <3 your sexy face Jim jam Jamie!

Thats how much i know about clios its an 07 plate, the shape before this one ??? still a slow car any way what ever the ponies it has HA HA HA, Il dig a pic out and you can tell me what it is ?

The remark regarding the correction detail was not anything to do with the a reply to the actually OP it was in reply to JD's post saying hes a pro offering correction details at 125.

But a new car can still benifit from machine work, believe me or dont its up to you. but i do this all day every day.