ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Buying a New Clio-Advice

05 Corsa 1.8 16v
Got a 2005 1.8 Corsa SRi (125bhp) so don't want something that will shock me too badly (massive loss of power) but looking for a new shape clio. I like the look of the dynamique s range, saw this the other day, is this bodykit factory extra or been added on by the owner?

media?id=636255382.gif
http://pictures.autotrader.co.uk/ATD_web/servlet/media?id=636255382

I quite fancy a DCi 106 model, as heard these are quite nippy whilst being good on tax/diesel, opinions on these? How different is it to the DCi 86 model?

The one above is a 1.4 16v dynamique s, what is this like for performance/fuel economy as i quite like the look of it, its on at £9k with 9000 miles, 55 plate, seems maybe a bit overpriced?

Dont really want to spend more than 8K but want something with no more than 40k miles on it.

Cheers for any help

Tom

05 Corsa 1.8 16v
also, i know cruise control can be a factory extra for £250, how much would it cost me to have it put on a car which hasnt got it?

BMW M135i
The 1.4 will be a damn sight slower than your corsa, as will the dCi but at least it should feel quicker due to diesel torque.

Not sure you can have it retro-fitted and it won't be cheap if you can.

05 Corsa 1.8 16v
well im on insurance group 9 at the moment, isn't the 172 like group 18? also what are these 2.0 138s i've heard of but not seen any, surely the 106 dci wouldnt be much of a step down with the torque?

BMW M135i
The Mk3 is a much heavier car though. The 172 is grp16, there is the Dynamique 138 but I don't think you'll get one within budget.

How old are you? I had and insured my 172 at 19 it is possible, just not cheap.

05 Corsa 1.8 16v
the corsa is 1107kg and the 106 DCI clio is 1200kg so not much in it, anyone got any gen on that bodykit in the pic above?

SLK250 CDI
I have a dCi106 and get about 45mpg after 4500miles on it. Had a 1.7CDTi Corsa C before which was 116bhp and the Clio isn't quite as quick, but much more refined and a nicer drive (even if it rolls like a motherfucker round corners compared to the Corsa).

Mustang, S13, AX GT
imho, nothing wrong with renault but short of a 2.0 it will feel underpowered compared to the corsa. the RS's aren't that bad to insure. I've just insured a 197 at £1500 fully comp with a fault claim in sept 2006 and just 1 years no claims.

Meg 250/E36 Touring
Dci 65 - Too Underpowered :(
Dci 86 - Good all rounder plus £35 per year to tax:)
Dci 106 - Quick and economical :D

Dynamique S 138 good but bit more juicy (30 mpg ish)

You should be able to pick up a 55 plate Dci 86 Dynamique S for under £8k

Dci 65 - Too Underpowered :( its auctally 68 ;) but stiill its a snail
Dci 86 - Good all rounder plus £35 per year to tax:) add a remap your get over 100hp
Dci 106 - Quick and economical :D now remap one for these your looking at something special :D

i so want to remap my 86 ;)
an maybe uprated springs so it wont roll as much

Last edited:
I quite fancy a DCi 106 model, as heard these are quite nippy whilst being good on tax/diesel, opinions on these? How different is it to the DCi 86 model?
Not in the supercheap tax band its £115 a year but thats still cheap the 86 etc are all £35 though.
Difference arn't huge the 6 speed box is better though.

Ex Clio, BMW 120d sport
bought my girlfriend a 1.4 dynamique s on 07 plate about month ago for £7699. Had 11k on the clock. Trade Sales in Slough. Pretty good price I thought.

Meg 250/E36 Touring
Dci 65 - Too Underpowered :( its auctally 68 ;) but stiill its a snail
Dci 86 - Good all rounder plus £35 per year to tax:) add a remap your get over 100hp
Dci 106 - Quick and economical :D now remap one for these your looking at something special :D

i so want to remap my 86 ;)
an maybe uprated springs so it wont roll as much

Well spotted!

Looks like Reno's latest price list is wrong then!

Devil car 320d & Scenic
My wife has had a 1.4 Modus for the last few years, which is based on the Clio only taller, and I can tell you the 1.4 engine feels a lot slower than the 100bhp figure would suggest. It is wheezy and sluggish and you really have to rev it to get any performance. It doesn't like revving very much so it is a bit of a painful experience.

Renault obviously agree as they have replaced the 1.4 with a 1.2 Turbo.

If you want to go petrol you will probably need the 2.0 138 to get a faster car, which I've not driven but the engine is decent enough in my father-in-laws Megane (if no ball of fire).

Now, the diesel 106 is worth a look. It isn't outright fast but it gives a fairly torquey shove in the back when you boot it in the mid-range. Also, it is incredibly smooth for a diesel, which I illustrate in two ways:

- I once drove a dCi 106 courtesy car home from a dealers, and I genuinely didn't realise it was a diesel until I got home and saw the badge. I just thought it was a slightly rough petrol.

- driven back to back with my 2005 E91 BMW 320d, the Renault engine is far smoother, and the 163bhp lump in the Beemer is known as a good diesel engine.

In comparison, the dCi 86 is possibly not quite as smooth (you have to work it harder and it isn't quite as keen to rev) and it feels more sluggish. That said, though I've driven the two engines back to back, perhaps the 86 was just a bit new and tight as it was a 57 plate demonstrator.

SLK250 CDI
Once you get over 60 in 6th, the 106 is nice - 70-80-90 comes at a reasonable pace. IMO the car isn't quick enough around town, but mine isn't really built for speed.