ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

buying a renaultsport with part service history

BG182FF
Been looking at a 182 with 80k on the clock, got FSH and stamped in the book up to 50k at which point the car had a complete refurbed engine change by Renault (seen the receipt) via one of the previous owners.

But the car is now on 80k, and theres no service history up to this point? It clearly states on the engine change receipt the new engine requires an oil change 1000miles after fitting, which theres no receipt of... the owner has said he did an oil change 3 months ago - but the car could well have been on 78-79k then = no service for 28k :dapprove:

Has also said its never used oil or water, I'd take that with a pinch of salt.

Are they troublesome oilburner machines with only part serive history? Bear in mind the engine has only done 30k since fitment.

hmmmm

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
No history = no belts done. Stick by that rule of thumb and you'll be fine.

Listerine & Poledo
My 172 has never lused any oil (touch wood!) but it did have FSH when I got it at 50k

BG182FF
There is a receipt for the belts on the refurb'd engine when it was fitted, the total for engine and all work, fitment was £3500 :eek:

Mine never uses oil or water. None at all.
If the belts were renewed when the engine was fitted and that was less than 5 years or 72k miles then all is good.

How long ago was the engine fitted. If it's less than 2 years ago then the service intervals are good too.

Mine never uses oil or water. None at all.
If the belts were renewed when the engine was fitted and that was less than 5 years or 72k miles then all is good.

How long ago was the engine fitted. If it's less than 2 years ago then the service intervals are good too.

Correction. Ignore that bit, it's complete b****cks. :eek:

Megane 225 F1
My clio had no service history between 30k and 68k when I bought it. It's been good as gold apart from rear bearings constantly blowing up on me, but that's just my bad luck.

BG182FF
Belts were changed on fitment of the new engine, which was a complete refurbished unit from Renault (costing £2000 itself). Its just the stamped service history in the book stops at 50k, when the new engine was put in. He's offered it to me for a snip over £2000, 1 months tax and no MOT.

Its tempting, I expect the next service will be a dear one but after that it could be a perfectly good car for a while

If you really fancy it get him to MOT it for you, say youll pay for the MOT but he has to pay for repairs etc. Least then youll know its road worthy.

But remember there are always plenty of them around so you dont need to jump onto one if theres something slightly dodgy!

BG182FF
But remember there are always plenty of them around so you dont need to jump onto one if theres something slightly dodgy!

Been thinking this myself.. but things like track rod ends, exhaust, lower arms ect I can fit/change myself, bit of a hobby after pulling apart so many 106 gti's. I'll see what I can sort out. If there are any knocks on suspension ect, it'll probs be staying where it is.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Sounds like a bargin to me if you can get an MOT. Get him to MOT it first (tell him you will pay for it if it passes). If he refuses then its probaly not going to get through an MOT without some repairs; in that case I would leave it.

BG182FF
The bodywork and interior were mint, even the melty thumb grip things on the steering wheel were fine. But there was overspray on the front grill and it didnt seem to sit on the bumper properly..1st and 2nd gear were quite whiney while the other gears were silent. And the Gear linkage was hanging lower than the exhaust system :?

And the fact my 106 gti would have easily blown it into the weeds. Give it a swerve I think.

BG182FF
Very true. Got back from looking at that one this evening to find i've been offered one that didnt sell on ebay, FF BG 182 - FSH, 10months MOT and 3 months tax, 4 new tyres. Cant go wrong with that! :D

BG182FF
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270913275334?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Like this one?

About an hour before I was going to buy look/purchase this car, seller texts me to say he cant find V5. This is fishy says me.

Text the Reg. to the DVLA (83600) and it comes back that the vehicle was a Cat C insurance claim back in 2006. Is it my eyes, or has he 'forgotten' to mention this on the auction? Makes me mad!!

I text the seller back saying why is the reg. coming back from the dvla as being a Cat C claim? His reply 'I wasn't aware of that, sorry' b****cks, once he had recieved the V5 in his name it would have become apparent. ****.

The DVLA is your friend!(in this case)