ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Buying Cambelt parts... need help

ALBI 197 Sonic MKII
So I'm currently sourcing parts for a cambelt change for my 53 plate Cup with 40000 miles. After having a good search, a few people are mentioning that the Gates cambelt kits are just as good as the Renault brand ones, for a good £30 less. I've found one on ebay, but was wondering if this is the right one for the job.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RENAULT-CLIO-...14&_trkparms=72:1301|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

The kit says it comes with;

TIMING BELT(S)
TIMING BELT TENSIONER(S)
TIMING BELT IDLER(S)/ROLLER(S)
BOLT(S)

I read that I should also change the water pump, and re-new the aux belt even though it was only done 7 months ago. So other than that, what other little bits and peices should I need? The belt is being changed privately by a garage that definitely has the locking tools.

BMW M135i
Water pump should be fine its only the 1.2 ones that fail commonly afaik, aux belt will want renewing as they should only be tensioned once. That cambelt kit looks kosher to me.

ALBI 197 Sonic MKII
Noted Fred. Any idea what I'm looking for and what to ask if I phone them?

I phoned Renault in Inverness and they quoted me £170 for the Cambelt kit and the Auxiliary belt. The parts guy claimed there's no kit for the Auxiliary belt. Bear in mind the belt was replaced 6 months ago, so would the other parts that are supposed to come with the kit, that he claims doesn't exist, be alright?

Curiosity got the better of me and I asked how much it would be to have those fitted;

£413.07

Not too bad a price that! Although that doesn't include the service part. Food for thought anyway.