ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

c2v3 over wax

Clio
Ok, so c2v3 seems to be getting the thumbs up off everyone at the moment in terms of looks and durablility, but i love the warmth and "glow" you get from a wax. my question is if you were to use c2v3 over a wax for extra durability and protection, would you loose that warmth and glow?
Please excuse my ignorance!

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
C2 v3 is highly rated
I dont think that it will last 6 months like they claim but it wont give anymore gloss or protection over a very good wax or therefore any better performance

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I've recently used it over a wax base, it hasn't added anything to the finish, but it has initially improved the water behaviour. Over a wax I doubt it will achieve its claimed durability but it may prolong the life of a show wax. The added water behaviour will probably help with cleaning

2006 JDM Impreza STi
A wax needs to breath so C2V3 is not ideal. Strip it back and either use it on clean paint or over C1 or if you're feeling rich get some EXO V2

A wax needs to breath so C2V3 is not ideal. Strip it back and either use it on clean paint or over C1 or if you're feeling rich get some EXO V2

A wax needs to gas. Once it's done this, topping with C2V3 is not an issue.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member

Exo isn't even that good!!!

Not a 320d
Gtechniq have really fucked up with EXO and C1+.

They should go back to the old C1. That was brillant stuff. If it werent for mongs letting it dry on the paint then there wouldnt be an issue.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
6 layers of Exo failed on a trial I seen after about 4 months. When I say failed, beading and sheeting.

Not that would be fine if it was a ceramic base but Exo is the topping, it's doesn't set like ceramic sealants.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
I logged onto DW for a change and found a thread where GT are praising the final release of v2, it fixes the shortcomings of v1 allegedly.

Still, I'd like to see you real world testing first.

[video=youtube_share;aOgtIN7Eny8]http://youtu.be/aOgtIN7Eny8[/video]

Golf GT & A4 Avant
V1 isn't good with chemicals though IIRC? V2 claiming to be better. What was used in the tests?

I plan on trying V1 aerosol shortly on a couple of motorbikes, painted panels will still get original C1

133/225/CLS AMG
My general understanding of sealants and waxes is that you polish then apply a sealant, then once cured you apply your wax on top.

A sealant won't bond properly to a waxed surface so won't last as long as it's meant to. A decent sealant should last 6 months if it's applied directly to a polished surface or even if you apply a glaze after and then sealant.

Apologies if that's covered above and I missed it.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
If you're using a sealant like Z5 or powerseal etc then yes wax after but you wouldn't use a spray sealant like C2V3 under a wax. You could but you would lose every property the sealant gives.

Polish, wax, then spray sealant over the top (it won't last as long as it would on it's own) but the water behavior is now akin to a proper nano sealant. With some wax looks still there.

133/225/CLS AMG
So I assume it's a sealant in the same vein as Dodo Juice Red Mist? Basically an extra layer of protection on top of whatever your LSP is?

Not a 320d
6 layers of Exo failed on a trial I seen after about 4 months. When I say failed, beading and sheeting.

Not that would be fine if it was a ceramic base but Exo is the topping, it's doesn't set like ceramic sealants.

Thats awful for what it costs.

Having used CQUK I dont think id ever touch Gtechniq C1 again.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
So I assume it's a sealant in the same vein as Dodo Juice Red Mist? Basically an extra layer of protection on top of whatever your LSP is?

It's sorta a million miles away from RM, which imo is a terrible product in a great range. C2V3 is actually a very strong spray nano sealant. It wasn't made for topping so to speak (also a C1 topping it is, it's still a standalone product. It just can be very versatile.

133/225/CLS AMG
I see, might be worth me looking into it a bit further.

I must admit though I rather like Red Mist but the spray heads make it a pain in the ar*e. I actually prefer the original RM to the Tropical version as I found it easier to work with when it evapourated more quickly.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
It became a very poor product over the years and never seemed to compliment the nice waxes that they have!

C2V3 is a simple easy to use product that'll deliver performance that of a product double it's price. The smallest bottle is like £8 delivered. Well worth trying!