ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CAD Questions Thread?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
anyone on here heard of the BIM (Building information model) system. One of my customers has brought it up saying that all projects from 2016 that are publicly funded will have to use this system?

http://www.graphisoft.com/openbim/bim/

Only just seen this one, I've been offered to be trained in BIM.

It's pretty mental TBH, and makes pricing jobs amazing.

The level of detail you can go into, the way you can schedules of rates applied to materials, then just change the material and the rates change and update the job costs. Mint.

A4 Avant
I'm pretty nifty with the old AutoCAD. Currently learning Inventor, I'm fine with small projects but large ones I seem to start to lose my way.

Some recent projects:

looptheloopC.jpg

looptheloopa.jpg

bookb.jpg

booka.jpg
A.jpg

B.jpg

The last four were for the paralympic opening ceremonies:

paralympic-ceremony7--a.jpg

article-2195548-14BDE93C000005DC-890_964x634.jpg

Currently designing a 30m long train & tender along with 3 off 25m long ships.

Last edited:

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
f**k me dude that's awesome. I have no reason at the moment to do 3d stuff so I haven't really learnt. I've just been told my latest project will involve BIM, so that's going to give me something to do!

I'm going to college soon to get my HNC in Civil Engineering.

I currently work in 2D and 3D, so hopefully I'm a bit ahead of the game with BIM.

Last place I had an interview for was very interested in my 3D knowledge, unfortunately my highways knowledge was too lacking (read: zero).

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
got a very annoying issue I just cannot resolve, someone please help before I go made.

as far as I was aware I draw everything the same but apparently not!

trying to plot something, first thing to note is the two sides are a light grey colour where as the top is normal black

1_zps9e20aa52.jpg

when I go to plot I get this error

2_zps1b7b44be.jpg

when I actually plot the sides are missing I only get the top

tried "shademode" but does nothing.

someone help

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Sorry mate I left my PC at work. :(

Take a few scree shots in model space with the line selected etc?

You've not set the line type to "hidden" (or a similar dotted line) with a high line type scale have you? So it's only got one "gap" so to speak?

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
not moaning at you mate, just moaning in general

as far as im aware everything is left as default

5_zpsc7434f10.jpg

4_zps1554a314.jpg

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Sorry in those on my screen I can't tell if you've selected a line? If you've not, select a line, and keep it selected whilst you screen shot that you're having an issue with.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Rob - if you get the opportunity to be BIM trained, I would grab it with both arms. From a career perspective it's gold. My company worked with Navisworks Autodesk to develop their BIM software, and we use it as standard on all medium to large projects now. By 2014, the government is introducing legislation that all public sector construction work is designed using BIM.

Its amazing. We designed Blackfriars station with it as a pilot about 3 years ago. Blew both us and the client away in terms of its capabilities, visualisation and longevity (its being improved currently to link to operational / maintenance programmes for O&M and asset management).

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Ollie, cheers for that mate, looks like I need to get proactive with the BIM software then, especially as they'll be paying :cool:

Millzzz, I'm Design and Build for M&E. (Data centres)

Thought so Rob, I'm a CAD coordinator for an M&E consultant. Been using Revit for a few years now. It's great software but lacking severely content wise. You will get pissed off with it! Good luck anyhoo.
​Ian

Seat Leon Cupra 290
What spec computers are you guys with revit running? I'm about to put it on my MacBook with boot camp. But it's only got 4gb ram currently. I'm only using it to play about with and learn a few bits. I'm already ok with autocad so looking for another string to my bow as it was.

Another Solidworks clown here! Although I was brought up on 3DS Max I stopped after a few years then picked Solidworks back up after Andy challenged me to help program some things for his CNC. Enjoying it very much really simple to master took me about a day or 2 and quite intuitive. I now want a CNC Machine as a hobby Andy has made me jealous I love to export the model into CAMBAM or just use HSMWorks (Solidworks CAM plugin) and run them through CNCSimulater.

One thing I am struggling with however in Solidworks is rendering.... I can't seem to get this iPhone to look right.

11123_zps2f0e324c.jpg

1234_zpsea6c075c.jpg

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
quick question what do you use for converting cad files down to the version that your using i.e 2010 down to 2004 etc.

I've been using trueview 2010 but it's struggling with 2013//2014 files.

cheers

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
Does anyone use Rhino 3D? I generally use Solidworks but have recently been using version 4 of Rhino and it is so straight forward for 3D modelling.

Clio 197 F1
quick question what do you use for converting cad files down to the version that your using i.e 2010 down to 2004 etc.

cheers
As a viewer or converter? If you're struggling with a viewer try E-Drawings.

340i

cheers

Trueview should do the job for you? There is a 2013 version available..

Or as Rob Said ask the person who sent you the drawing to save it in a more usable format.

I assume you're not using AutoCAD 2004?!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Any decent written tutorials for Sketchup?

To achieve what?

It's got quite a broad spectrum.

My advice would be have a play, follow a couple of tutorials for making a few things similar to what you're trying to achieve, then just go for it.

It's a little clumsy if you're used to CAD or similar, but it's VERY good IME

To achieve what?

It's got quite a broad spectrum.

My advice would be have a play, follow a couple of tutorials for making a few things similar to what you're trying to achieve, then just go for it.

It's a little clumsy if you're used to CAD or similar, but it's VERY good IME

Just the basics, trying to get started. So where certain tools are etc.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
is there a tool I can use to trace this in autocad? ive got an old 2006 version?

failing that can someone do it for me if its possible?

qr1_zps6f31c532.png

Renault Clio 172 Cup
Couldn't explode it as it's pixel not vector based. So I drew it. Can't attach it as it's not recognised format (.dwg). PM me your email and I'll ping it over.

Attachments

• QR Code.pdf
    17.4 KB · Views: 70
  • QR Code.pdf
    13.9 KB · Views: 74
  Listerine & Poledo
I've started using AutoCAD for a new job recently, and this thread is awesome for info.
Only doing 2D so far, but it's all handy

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
I managed to find an online convertor, didn't do the best job but enough to get me started.
as always thanks for ya help, will post a photo shortly to show why I wanted it

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
I know and that's very kind, but its been converted and altered - job done.
couldn't find a free install so found an online jpg to dxf which I can open in cad

-KarL-

ClioSport Club Member
I only use auto cad for 2D work, currently doing a lot of offshore fire/blast panels.

3D wise we use Tekla structures.