ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Caliper carrier bolts & thread lock

Clio 182 Trophy
Hi all,

Doing a brake refurb & painting bits. Almost at the point of being able to reassemble everything but just need to check I’m good to reuse my carrier to hub bolts as some manufacturers say to get new ones. This is my first Renault so not sure if ok to do this.

Also do you guys use thread lock on these on reinstalling? If so which do you recommend

Thanks in advance

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
When I did a disk and pad replacement a little while ago, I reused the bolts no problem. Im no expert by any means but I went to K-Tech and bought all the bits and they didnt recommend changing the bolts. However, in my experience, when it comes to brakes, if its worth doing its worth over doing. Change the bolts for peace of mind. Cant be dear.

Its a yes from me for thread lock. Locktite is my usual go to.

Pics of the brake refurb pls!

Clio 182 Trophy
This is a before & after of the carriers @Sidnancy. Serious time has been spent on wire brush/ wheel & a long bath of detox c.... bolts seem ok just need a good scrub & I’ll grab some Loctite to be on the safe side. Will swap for new bolts later this year but need to get the car back off stands quickly as working out of a parking space & need to keep moving the car annoyingly. Thanks for the responses so far.

A1750489-E2D7-4943-AD30-C9AA3B83AF13.jpeg

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
This is a before & after of the carriers @Sidnancy. Serious time has been spent on wire brush/ wheel & a long bath of detox c.... bolts seem ok just need a good scrub & I’ll grab some Loctite to be on the safe side. Will swap for new bolts later this year but need to get the car back off stands quickly as working out of a parking space & need to keep moving the car annoyingly. Thanks for the responses so far.

View attachment 1414988
Looking good! Thanks for the pics!

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
The only reason to replace bolts is if they are stretch bolts like some con rod bolts. You tension them to yield, and then after use you need to replace them. Brake bolts are nowhere near that high a stress, so they don't need to be replaced. The only reason some pads come with new ones is so that you get a new bolt with some threadlocker on the threads to stop any chance of them coming out. I would give the original bolts a good clean and then reinstall to manufacturer's torque specs using some medium strength loctite threadlocker, or drill the bolts and lockwire if you really want to go the extra mile.