ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Caliper Paint ??

BMW M135i
I'm looking to paint my calipers silver just because I fancy it really, only problem is that i'm not 100% which paint to use.
Went and had a look down the local halfrauds and they've got hammerite silver smooth which I think people have used previously and their own caliper paint which is about twice the price (no surprise there :dapprove:).
I'm just wondering which paint to use ?, i'm just a bit suspect of the hammerites ability to cope with the heat as it doesn't say anywhere on the can that it can withstand high temperatures.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Hammerite smooth will be ok mate .Better off with the spray you get a better finish . Its about £9.00 a can , keep your eye on ebay , i got 3 cans for just over £20 with p+p .

If you can take off your calipers , alot easier to spray off the car .

Make sure you get all the crap off your calipers first .

I used some of these , saved loads of time and the came up like new .

You might find em in pound shops or local diy shops .

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=100424&ts=96981&id=13734

Renault clio mk1 1.4rt
i just painted mine last thursday night, ask in halfords for actual caliper paint, thats wer i got mine, they should stock it either in separate tins or in kit packs, they can always order it in for you, the problem with normal paint is that it isnt made to withstand the heat from the brakes or the corrosive brake dust from your brake pads, a tin and a brush cost me £12 and that was enough to do all 4 with a couple of coats each

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
^^^^ Hammerite will withstand the heat , i did mine black , i have a spare set of calipers i'm going to spray silver smooth hammerite .

R35 GTR
Is normal hammerite smooth ok, or does it have to have to say high temperature paint on tin? :S

R35 GTR
cool, as I just spent all day painting one of them. Done 3 coats and 3 hours between each coat.

182 and 5 GTT
I did 3 coats with 10 min between coats! It was a blisteringly hot day though. Did mine yellow though, which is a nightmare to keep clean.

Monaco Blue Mk2
Yeah, 10-20 mins in between coats is fine. Best to get it jacked up with 2 wheels off to make a quicker job. Hammerite is absoloutley fine if not better than the standard stuff. Mine look exactly the same as when I painted them. When I clean my wheels when washing the car it cleans them without effort, a quick wipe would also see them good as new.

The results:

DSC00150.jpg