ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Caliper rebuild.

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I've just been out in the cold and rain replacing the front brake pads and my 172 only to find seized sliders, a rounded off bleed nipple and a split piston boot.
So, is where is a good place to get new units from?
20201130_105211.jpg

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Have you asked your local factors? They might be recon-exchange anyway.

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
There aren't a huge amount of motor factors near me, I've tried GSF, Euro car parts, and motor parts direct, but they're all about the same price.
Has anyone used SSL? Despite the tatty appearance of my clio, i quite fancy some shiny red calipers.

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
It's tempting, but not something I've tried before. I've got an old set in the shed i might have a practice on...

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I got my parts from BIG RED. Just give them a call and tell them what you're after and they will send the kit out. Great quality at a great price. As for DIY, there are plenty of tutorials and how twos on youtube. If you can change your pads then you can rebuild a caliper. Yes, it is bloody scary the first time you press the brake and wonder if you are going to stop or use the car in fronts brakes instead. There isn't much to go wrong, just take your time. The only tricky part is if you haven't got access to an airline as that makes the hard part of the job a doddle otherwise.

monaco 172
I got my parts from BIG RED. Just give them a call and tell them what you're after and they will send the kit out. Great quality at a great price. As for DIY, there are plenty of tutorials and how twos on youtube. If you can change your pads then you can rebuild a caliper. Yes, it is bloody scary the first time you press the brake and wonder if you are going to stop or use the car in fronts brakes instead. There isn't much to go wrong, just take your time. The only tricky part is if you haven't got access to an airline as that makes the hard part of the job a doddle otherwise.
I just pump the brake pedal untill the piston falls out, no need for an air line ;)

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Good tip. I'm sure on one of the vids it tells you to do that as a work around if you don't have access to air

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Thanks for the tips everyone. I've ordered some new calipers, but I'm going have a go at refurbing mine once they're off. It'll give me something to do over Christmas.
I'll just have to remember to get the pistons out before they're off the car.

I used a halfords cig lighter tyre pump with the football attachment on, cut an old line in half and just made sure I closed the seal in the line with the pump. This was for 197 brembos but same concept.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
When I rebuilt mine and could be bothered to find the tyre pump or go to the garage to fire up the compressor I just clamped some mole grips on the piston and pulled it out like a man.

I was fitting new pistons so didn't care what the grips did though. Bigg Red are great, lots of their gear is cheaper and much better than the tosh you will find on eBay. Their rear caliper seal set for example was nearly half the price of what ever I could get on eBay on short notice.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Should be able to free the sliders off, very easy with an impact driver. I just done a set yesterday, spun them both ways until loose, removed, cleaned and greased and good as new.