ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Caliper replacement

RENAULT Clio 200
Hey guys so iv had a seized Caliper that iv been working on but iv basically decided to replace the thing as it just easier in the current state of things to do so my question is can I replace just one side of my rear Caliper, or do I need to replace both.... I need the Caliper and the mounts and been quoted £250 for a pair with my old ones going back.
As far as I can tell you can get the Caliper part only for anywhere between £80 and £140 depending on where you go.
Also will I need to drain all the brake fluid to change the Calipers or can I clamp them off somehow.... I plan on doing a lot more research before doing it of course.
Cheers guys 👍

Oh my near side rear Caliper is fine, I’ll take it apart and clean it up etc if replacing only one is an option, soon after new disks will go in and new pads etc are already here.

My off side Caliper piston won’t go back into its housing, it just spins so a new one is in order, I don’t think I can even refurbish it with a kit etc now

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
You don't need to replace in pairs. Just clean the good one up and buy a recon one for the seized one. You can bleed the side you replace, but not a bad idea to do both. When was your fluid last change? If you get a recon one just remove the line and then immediately fit the new caliper, you will not loose much fluid, but it will need bleeding.

£250 for a pair of recon rear calipers exchange is a joke! Don't pay that. Assuming these are for a Clio.

Not purchased a recon rear caliper for a little while, but sure they can be had for £70 -£80. Good used ones come up on here too. Hope that helps @Wellard91

RENAULT Clio 200
You don't need to replace in pairs. Just clean the good one up and buy a recon one for the seized one. You can bleed the side you replace, but not a bad idea to do both. When was your fluid last change? If you get a recon one just remove the line and then immediately fit the new caliper, you will not loose much fluid, but it will need bleeding.

£250 for a pair of recon rear calipers exchange is a joke! Don't pay that. Assuming these are for a Clio.

Not purchased a recon rear caliper for a little while, but sure they can be had for £70 -£80. Good used ones come up on here too. Hope that helps @Wellard91
That helps massively mate thank you, replacing one will be the way I go then, as for the last fluid change I was told all that type of stuff had been done as I brought the car, just over a year ago, it’s time for a full service anyway but the money can mount up, need to keep belts etc in mind also as iv just hit 60k. It’s just the timing of everything right now making it a pain to earn extra money to knock the things out monthly.
Cheers for the price help also, I’ll defo keep looking 👍

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Only had 172/182, but can't imagine that a single 200 rear caliper is much more! All the same principles with regard to replacement though.

RENAULT Clio 200
I need the grey calipers, and as far as I hear it’s pretty much the same, I found one apparently made by trw for around £80 brand new and if I’m not mistaken it’s trw that make the oem ones.... I’m sure iv seen the mark on them, dirty tho lol

Also will I need to drain all the brake fluid to change the Calipers or can I clamp them off somehow.... I plan on doing a lot more research before doing it of course.

I've just changed all the calipers on my 172 Cup and the trick I used to avoid losing too much fluid was to cut a finger off a rubber glove, put some paper towel in it, then slip it over the disconnected brake pipe and finally secure it with a zip tie. I left it for a few days like that with no problem. See --> https://www.cliosport.net/threads/what-have-you-done-to-your-car-today.635775/post-11882063

I had already planned a fluid swap anyway so was that bothered but it seemed to work well.

If you end up disconnecting further back and have a female connection, I just use 2 the first just filled with paper towel and shoved in like a bung, the second then over the whole lot and zipped on.

The biggest problem I had was not the brake pipe end being seized into the caliper which I had feared, but the brake pipe fitting had seized to the brake line so although I could start to loosen it from the caliper, I still couldn't unwind it. So I ended up removing the whole brake pipe from the rear beam whilst still attached to the caliper, but again these were past their best so I was replacing them too. It was just more of a faff getting the caliper out with a great long brake pipe still attached.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I got 182 rear pads from Ecp today.... the box said ‘Citroen Saxo’
I’m needing to source new rear caliper as the piston is seized and one slide bolt, where would be best to get a replacement?