ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Calling all Jocks

cup 182 mit stripes
My 182 Cup has covered 7K trouble-free miles and is raedy for a few more neddies.
The chaps on here have a high opinion of tuners like G.D.I and Hillpower. Unfortunately they are a long distance from me. Therefore my question is this...Is there anywhere in Scotland where I can get good work done on the Clio? Are there any fettlers of high repute (with experience on the marque) in whose hands I can safely leave my little blue car?
I had two tuning scenarios in mind.
1. Optimizing the standard performance with a chip of some kind, a gas flowed manifold, performance exhaust and panel filter.
2. Bodies and cams
Any thoughts on this would be gratefully recieved. Cheers

tiTTy & SV650
speak to AJR he's getting some head work done at his dads garage in Helensburgh IIRC.

Whats with the Jocks?! only ever heard an English person say the word Jock lol

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
GFR Racing are doing my inlet work, there based in Larkhall...

For Cams, bodies, and Mapping go to torque performance in Hamilton then either star performance or dastek for the Mapping

Muchos grascais, mon petit amis.

Mk2 Ph1 1.2 8v
AJR, where abouts in scotland are you from?

just with the mention of torque performance... (a mate of a mates company)

In my mind there two level of tunning the basic exhaust and induction kit etc or the whole whole cams head work throttle bodies etc. It depends what you want to achieve and what you have to spend.
I know a of Scotish forum member who was in the same situation as you and he in the end sent his car to GDI its not a huge distance and least you don't have to go risk going to somoene who isn't recognised its not that far you can get there and back in the day. Arange with GDI for a hire car to be there when you drop your off and drop it off when they've finsihed.
Personally for me I'd not spend the money on power or noise that not my cup of teas i'd get LEDa coilovers and better brakes but if you do then I'd go get an exhaust or Induction kit and a manifold work but preferably not all three as you might find feling getting a bit lean which isn't good. (cost £200 or so for fitted manifold, Then an induction kit of your choice)
Beyond that I'd go for throttle bodies there is/was a set for sale on the forum somone bought then couldn't/ didn't want to fit so ther were up for a bargin price for about £2k I'd think you'd get them fully fitted and your on about 205hp with stock exhaust or 210~220hp with an good exhaust.
Contact BenR on here he does the custom manifold works he does them on exhaust so you can do the swop at home fit the exhaust etc at a local garage etc.

2002 Clio Dynamic
Have a look at Torque out in Hamilton,both mine and AlanC's clios are in there just now!
Should be getting them back some time this week!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Friction said:
AJR, where abouts in scotland are you from?

just with the mention of torque performance... (a mate of a mates company)

Well...Technically just outside Glasgow but i'm working in Aberdeen and offshore.

Is Alan's car still going into Torque? Thought he was selling his TB's?

2002 Clio Dynamic
Alans has been in at Torque the same amount of time as mine,but he is having his TBs taken off aswell as his old cams

1.6 Astra ... R.I.P. 182
c+c exhausts in hillington industrial estate are quite good if your wanting a custom exhaust and/or manifold.
good guys and do a great job. :)

2002 Clio Dynamic
Torque can also sort you out with an exhaust system as well,but the guys at C+C are top notch as well

Ph1
Im in South West Scotland and took mine down to GDI.
Took me about 5 hours and i never rushed it. My m8 went from Lockerbie to London in 4 and a half hours flat but he was gunning it.

I hired a car from Enterprise down there near GDI. Was really cheap and a damn good service which i can highly recommend.

Star Performance only really do Vag group cars and Dastek avoid like the plague unless you like being ripped off without them even managing to fit the chip.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
^ I've always found Dastek to be very helpful, Used them numberous times and i've got a Unichip...fitting soon, after inlet mods and decat.

1.6 Astra ... R.I.P. 182
would you not be better off getting a group N ecu and getting it remapped to incorporate the mods ??

a guy near me has the ecu on his cup ... goes like stink

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
R sport does nothing other than making it rev longer, 0 performance gains mate...Cannot be re-mapped and if you go to a road u'll see that peak power is at about 6.5k rpm, not above.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Another good place for custom exhausts is Free Flow in shotts... fitted my 172 with a cat back stainless steel twin exit system and its magic!

B

cup 182 mit stripes
Phoned Dastek last summer and was told they could'nt get their Unichip to work on the 182, and to phone back in a few months as they were developing one that would.
Phoned again after Xmas ,guy said "Phone again next month,still working on it."

Ph1
ja.jack said:
Phoned Dastek last summer and was told they could'nt get their Unichip to work on the 182, and to phone back in a few months as they were developing one that would.
Phoned again after Xmas ,guy said "Phone again next month,still working on it."

Wish they'd a told me this before they had a go, [AND FAILED COS THEY DIDNT KNOW WHAT THEY WERE DOING], at fitting the thing to mine and coming up with a excuse that my car was running so lean that they'd have to by-pass the fuel regulator and that would cost me 140 sheets before they even fitted the chip !!!

If you have a Renault AVOID because they do not, repeat, DO NOT know anything about a 172 engine !!

You have been warned